What Do You Have a Taste For?

A slice and an ice cold diet Pepsi.

images

Scots probably brought fish and clam chowder recipes to the US.

I have made "cullen skink" without knowing it's what it's called there. Love it.

As for the clam chowders, it used to be that New England style is white and creamy, while Rhode Island style is thin and somewhat clear. Manhattan style is red with tomato added.

All are delicious.
Rhode Island now has both the creamy n the thin but there both good, I’ll pass on the Manhattan red but there are restaurants here that offer all three.

Right now I'm going through one of those periods where nothing is particularly appealing. I bought Habitant pea soup. Usually does the trick.
Habitant pea soup is rare to see in CT anymore, but when I was a child it was a regular item. My mother loved it. I hated pea soup until I grew up.

Last edited:
I love sweet potatoes but never had one baked.
Easiest side dish ever and, with a hearty salad, a good main. They come in all sizes and shapes and meat color but my favorite is of the rounder variety.

Do not peal but scrub clean. Puncture skin several times and rub with oil. Place on an oven proof dish and bake until done. Medium size about 30 min at 400 d. but it is very forgiving about both temp and time. When done, it will squeeze soft with your pot=holder protected hand. As soon as it is cool enough to handle, use tip of sharp knife and finger tips to peal skin and discard. Mash and dress as you wish. I like a little butter and splash of maple syrup.
This has been the first Holiday season I didn't have either of my favorite desserts. I really could go for them now.
Italian Cannoli and Tiramisu.
View attachment 87298

View attachment 87299
Love tiramisu! I'd break my diet in a heartbeat for a slice right now. I'll go back to healthy tomorrow.

Love tiramisu! I'd break my diet in a heartbeat for a slice right now. I'll go back to healthy tomorrow.
I just buy a ''single portion'' size at Kroger's. It's so big that I cut that into 3 portions, eat one and freeze the other two. Good for my purse AND my conscience re guilt. Live a little, save a little.

Easiest side dish ever and, with a hearty salad, a good main. They come in all sizes and shapes and meat color but my favorite is of the rounder variety.

Do not peal but scrub clean. Puncture skin several times and rub with oil. Place on an oven proof dish and bake until done. Medium size about 30 min at 400 d. but it is very forgiving about both temp and time. When done, it will squeeze soft with your pot=holder protected hand. As soon as it is cool enough to handle, use tip of sharp knife and finger tips to peal skin and discard. Mash and dress as you wish. I like a little butter and splash of maple syrup.

Thanks for the recipe 😉

I never cared for sweet potato, but love it's other version, the yam. I simply peel it, cut in chunks, steam until soft, then sprinkle brown sugar on it and drizzle with maple syrup (used to be honey, but I'm trying to lean towards vegan).

Found this on Google =
Often, the copper skinned sweet potato is referred to as yam, or sweet potato yam, and these are a firmer version of sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes with the lighter skin and yellow insides are softer. They cook very differently.

That potato soup looks super. I'm baking dinner rolls now that would be great with butter with that soup.
One question. I've never made dinner rolls from scratch, but when I buy the Pillsbury ones they always have an aftertaste. Is that how they're supposed to taste? I've always wondered. Thanks!

One question. I've never made dinner rolls from scratch, but when I buy the Pillsbury ones they always have an aftertaste. Is that how they're supposed to taste? I've always wondered. Thanks!
No the biscuits are not supposed to have an aftertaste please try the great value buttermilk biscuits at Walmart in the frozen food section they come in a bag, place them on a cake pan and make sure that when you bake them they have the sides touching. They are delicious, I served them as a side dish with my roast beef last week, Yum Yum!

Atakilt Wat and some Yemser Alicha, served on Injeras, with more Injeras on the side. That's what I made Janet and I this afternoon.. Yummmmmmmmm-------- (FYI: Ethiopian stew and lentil dishes.)

Thanks a bunch, they look delicious! I printed the recipe but am confused about the milk and butter, google says that 140 ml is .59 american cup and 50g of butter is 10 tsp. Hope it comes out okay.
I couldn’t understand what this lady was saying

Back