What Do You Have a Taste For?

A Bavarian cream doughnut
bavarian-cream1.jpg

When I was in Rhode Island, everywhere seemed to sell "award winning" clam chowder.
I wondered just how many awards there were:unsure: Nearer home is a great Scottish soup called Cullen Skink - from the town of Cullen. Of course, everyone thinks their's is the genuine one, and there is an annual contest to find the best. It's basically made from smoked haddock, generally with leek ,potato and cream. I wouldn't mind a bowl of it now.

skink.jpg

When I was in Rhode Island, everywhere seemed to sell "award winning" clam chowder.
I wondered just how many awards there were:unsure: Nearer home is a great Scottish soup called Cullen Skink - from the town of Cullen. Of course, everyone thinks their's is the genuine one, and there is an annual contest to find the best. It's basically made from smoked haddock, generally with leek ,potato and cream. I wouldn't mind a bowl of it now.

View attachment 87139
Now you've done it. I discovered Cullen Skink on my trip to Scotland this past September. I loved it and ate it everywhere it was on the menu. I had nearly finished my addiction withdrawal.

It is about the best tasting dish I've encountered in my travels. Not available here in the NorthWET corner of the USA as far as I can determine.

WELL DONE, Scotland!

Scots probably brought fish and clam chowder recipes to the US.

I have made "cullen skink" without knowing it's what it's called there. Love it.

As for the clam chowders, it used to be that New England style is white and creamy, while Rhode Island style is thin and somewhat clear. Manhattan style is red with tomato added.

All are delicious.
I like New England style. YUMMMM when made just right!!!!

I love clam chowder, and always have it when I go to the beach in the uk, and sometimes abroad . In fact I've posted a picture of the last al fresco clam chowder lunch .. in my ''Southend'' pics in the photo thread...

Back