What Do You Have a Taste For?

I never cared for sweet potato, but love it's other version, the yam. I simply peel it, cut in chunks, steam until soft, then sprinkle brown sugar on it and drizzle with maple syrup (used to be honey, but I'm trying to lean towards vegan).

Found this on Google =
Often, the copper skinned sweet potato is referred to as yam, or sweet potato yam, and these are a firmer version of sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes with the lighter skin and yellow insides are softer. They cook very differently.
Not sure which is what name, but I like the orangey-gold flesh version. I like them two different ways:
Baked plain with a tiny dash of salt and maybe a smidge of vegan butter
Cut into chunks, microwaved until soft, then keep in the fridge to be added to various meals including salads.
I eat the peels, by the way.

I find sweet potatoes/yams sweet enough on their own - no marshmallows or brown sugar needed!

Thanks a bunch, they look delicious! I printed the recipe but am confused about the milk and butter, google says that 140 ml is .59 american cup and 50g of butter is 10 tsp. Hope it comes out okay.
It bothers me now that they mix up metric and Imperial or American.
Because grams is weight. So you really need a scale.
We are used to measures like cups and tablespoons which is volume, not weight.
And it's not commonly known but the American ounce is larger than the Imperial which we use in Canada but it's not a great difference. Our gallon is 140 ounces and the U.S. gallon is 128 ounces liquid measure.
My measuring cup has both Metric and Imperial. 140 ml is just a shade of 1/2 a cup.
50 grams of butter? I just used two tablespoons. It's closer to 3 tablespoons. It was stated in the article that exact measurements are not required in bread recipes.
Oh by the way it states warm milk. So how warm is warm? I always measure with a thermometer and use 100 degrees F.

I couldn’t understand what this lady was saying
O.K. so I listened three times and printed out the recipe from my notes and experience.
Prepare the yeast mixture- 140 ml of warm milk about 100 deg. F about 1/2 cup.
2 tablespoons of sugar. . Mix and let sit until foamy about 6 minutes.

Then pour into a mixing bowl and add one egg and 1 teaspoon of salt and mix.

Add 2 cups of flour to the mixture and 2 heaping tablespoons of butter or margarine.
Mix until you get a nice dough.
Place into a lightly buttered bowl and cover with Cling or Saran wrap.
Allow to rise until doubled in size. Be patient. It's not exact 2 to 3 hours in a warm place.
Turn on to a floured surface and roll it into a loaf.
Cut six pieces and shape as shown in the video and place into a buttered baking dish.
Allow to rise again until doubled or close to doubled in size.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 or more minutes until golden brown.

Oops I left out the amount of yeast. 1/2 a teaspoon.

Last edited:
And it's not commonly known but the American ounce is larger than the Imperial which we use in Canada but it's not a great difference.
Our gallon is 140 ounces and the U.S. gallon is 128 ounces liquid measure.
My measuring cup has both Metric and Imperial. 140 ml is just a shade of 1/2 a cup.
50 grams of butter? I just used two tablespoons. It's closer to 3 tablespoons. It was stated in the article that exact measurements are not required in bread recipes.
Oh by the way it states warm milk. So how warm is warm? I always measure with a thermometer and use 100 degrees F.

When baking, I get much better, more consistent results since using a scale that weighs down to the 1/2 gram. When I first got the scale, just for giggles, I weighed out a cup of flour the way I formerly measured it- 155 grams. According to the internet, a cup of flour is supposed to weigh between 120-130 grams (depending on the source). So my practice of hand dipping into the flour canister was adding 20% - 30% more flour than was called for! No wonder I was always tweaking recipes!!!

Cooking is much more forgiving, so I generally don't bother with the scale.

O.K. so I listened three times and printed out the recipe from my notes and experience.

Add 2 cups of flour to the mixture and 2 heaping tablespoons of butter or margarine.
Allow to rise until doubled in size. Be patient. It's not exact 2 to 3 hours in a warm place.
Cut six pieces and shape as shown in the video and place into a buttered baking dish.
I am deaf and could not hear the video and they did not offer cc, so I just clicked on the recipe below the video and copy/pasted it and printed.

And it's not commonly known but the American ounce is larger than the Imperial which we use in Canada but it's not a great difference. Our gallon is 140 ounces and the U.S. gallon is 128 ounces liquid measure.
50 grams of butter? I just used two tablespoons. It's closer to 3 tablespoons.
It was stated in the article that exact measurements are not required in bread recipes.
Thanks, Camper. Now I feel stupid, MY measuring cup also has the Metric also. I'll add notes on the butter.

I couldn’t understand what this lady was saying
This is the recipe, listed on the YouTube website when I clicked on ''Show More".
On the video, click on the woman's face on top left corner, and then click on the picture with the 4 rolls, then click on ''show more'' and you'll find the recipe written up.

EDIT = Sorry, click on pic with SIX rolls.

Last edited:
Wasabi is quite strong. Are you also bothered by horse-radish? I had some horse-radish that almost blew my head off!
Had never heard of Wasabi and looked it up. This video claims that restaurant and spice wasabi has very little of the plant, it's mostly horseradish and mustard and less than 1% of wasabi.

This is the recipe, listed on the YouTube website when I clicked on ''Show More".
On the video, click on the woman's face on top left corner, and then click on the picture with the 4 rolls, then click on ''show more'' and you'll find the recipe written up.
Thank you. 😄

Oops I left out the amount of yeast. 1/2 a teaspoon.
Sorry you went to the all that trouble I sure appreciate it!

EDIT = Sorry, click on pic with SIX rolls.
Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to do it and I did it by accident once. Usually you can scroll down and get it.

Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to do it and I did it by accident once. Usually you can scroll down and get it.
Yeah, Bincy Chris makes it hard to get to the YouTube video (where you read the posts and can click on the recipe). I just fiddled with your post until I clicked on her face. I guess I'm used to JennyCanCook, she even has the recipe on her video AND on her website. Check her out, she has good recipes, is funny, and also easy on the eyes (since you're a guy, LOL).

https://www.jennycancook.com/

Yeah, Bincy Chris makes it hard to get to the YouTube video (where you read the posts and can click on the recipe). I just fiddled with your post until I clicked on her face. I guess I'm used to JennyCanCook, she even has the recipe on her video AND on her website. Check her out, she has good recipes, is funny, and also easy on the eyes (since you're a guy, LOL).

https://www.jennycancook.com/
Does she compare at all to Giada de Laurentis? I shouldn't say something like this, but she shouldn't cook over a hot stove.

Back