What Do You Think of Your Next Door Neibor.

Kris148

We have lived in our present southern Sydney location for over 30 years. In that time we have had at least half dozen neibors on both sides of our property. Some have been friendly.. some not so. I recall when we first moved in there was a middle-aged Asian couple next door. Their house was double storey and rather palatial with a huge swimming pool in their back yard. Without a word of a lie I spoke no more than a dozen words to them in the six months they lived there. We tried to be friendly but they just did not want to know us. Maybe it was our body odor. The next people who moved in there were the opposite...friendly, hospitable and helpful. We became good friends for the two years they lived there. They often invited us poor downtrodden over to swim in their expansive pool.

We have great neighbours ,we more like family with our neighbours behind us ( we live on a corner ) However we don’t live on their doorstep or them on ours but we know they are there day and night if we ever need them
We don’t have a bbq anymore so we have them over for a roast lamb and we go over to their home for a bbq 2~ 3 times throughout the year as well as Christmas / Australia Day / Easter

Our neighbours on the one side we’ve known for over 20 years. We’ve shared dinners, picnics, books, tapes and laughter but they are older now and keep to themselves.

The other neighbours are the youngest home owners ever and when they moved in we were really worried but they are the most considerate young couple ever.

To keep good neighbour relationships we try and mind our own business as much as possible but if they ever needed us in an emergency, we’d help out as much as possible. That’s the type of consideration my husband and I would appreciate also.

On the floor I live on I have 2 neighbors. All 3 of us have dogs and I really like the man who lives near me. I haven't had a chance to speak to the woman who has lived on the other side of me for about 8 mos. or so but she is pretty quiet and that's always good. The neighbor on the other side of my living room wall has been pretty quiet recently so that's fine with me. Above me there is a guy who moved in in April and he has been pretty quiet for the most part. I like my male neighbor on my floor the best. He's very friendly and we talk a bit when I see him. Generally most people where I live are pretty friendly and peaceful so I am content. 👍 :sneaky:

The next door neighbors on both sides are very nice, I got lucky. I know one a lot better than the other; she's become a good friend.

The last place I lived, I had a real grump next door. So I guess what goes around comes around.

I have a young couple with a little girl and several critters that live directly across the hall from me. I see them coming and going but I've only spoken to the father once when he was out walking the dog, I don't think he realized that I was his neighbor. My other neighbor is an older single man that works from home, the only time he speaks to me is when he wants to complain about the young couple across the hall or some other issue with the apartment complex, neighborhood, etc...

We have lived here for 25 years and have had great neighbors and nuisance neighbors come and go. On our right, we have had two wonderful young families with great kids. We really miss these folks, but have remained close friends with the family that moved to Florida. (They do need to come and pick up all their stuff in my attic since it has been there for four years now.) When the last family left, they sold to a guy who is friendly enough but quite weird. His yard has turned into a disaster: he starts things but never finishes them, puts in plants and never waters them, and he loves to demolish trees including a beautiful flowering cherry tree that he butchered.
On our left, we have had to put up with an inconsiderate family that is consistently a nuisance: barking dogs, screaming kids, cars everywhere including my grass, and teen agers who spend hours kicking their soccer ball against the fence between our yards. The only time we got a break was when they moved to another state and rented the house to a really nice family for a couple of years.
Across the street, we have a couple of older people who are OK, but incredibly boring; I mean run if you see them coming. I do like them enough to help them with a variety of things that they cannot do.
But these people are still reasonable compared to the "Hell's Angels Want-a-be's" that I had in Richmond Calif, or the unrelated collection of drunks that moved into our neighborhood in Seattle.
I guess that I should not complain that much about our current neighbors since they could always be worse.

Me and my Husband are living in a home we bought a little over a year ago. He knows most of the neighbors and they seem very nice. I have only met 2 so far and I liked them. The change from the City where I lived most of my life to a more rural area is taking me a really hard tp make an adjustment.

We have lived in our suburban house for 35 years and have had cordial relationships with all of our neighbors. I don't want to live in my neighbors' pockets nor have them in ours. We keep an eye on each others' homes, chat for a few moments when we happen on each other, wave from our cars, and are there for each other during emergencies. We invite a couple of sets to one of the several large holiday parties we throw each year.

Put it this way, we didn't invite them to our children's weddings.

I have lived in my neighborhood for almost 25 years and for the most part have enjoyed my neighbors. Being in a monile home community, my neighbors have changed a lot. When I first moved in, all the neighbors welcomed me well, and we did a lot together, being pot luck picnics, and whatever.
I have only had one set of neighbors who were a bit odd, and pretty reclusive. Other than that, I am in a good neighborhood. I like that everyone looks out for one another,

My neighbors on one side have been there for 30 years and on the other side of my house a younger couple has been there almost ten, both are very nice and considerate people. Really, everyone on my block and across the street are good folks, everyone is friendly when we meet outside coming and going.

We have lived here for 25 years and have had great neighbors and nuisance neighbors come and go. On our right, we have had two wonderful young families with great kids. We really miss these folks, but have remained close friends with the family that moved to Florida. (They do need to come and pick up all their stuff in my attic since it has been there for four years now.) When the last family left, they sold to a guy who is friendly enough but quite weird. His yard has turned into a disaster: he starts things but never finishes them, puts in plants and never waters them, and he loves to demolish trees including a beautiful flowering cherry tree that he butchered.
On our left, we have had to put up with an inconsiderate family that is consistently a nuisance: barking dogs, screaming kids, cars everywhere including my grass, and teen agers who spend hours kicking their soccer ball against the fence between our yards. The only time we got a break was when they moved to another state and rented the house to a really nice family for a couple of years.
Across the street, we have a couple of older people who are OK, but incredibly boring; I mean run if you see them coming. I do like them enough to help them with a variety of things that they cannot do.
But these people are still reasonable compared to the "Hell's Angels Want-a-be's" that I had in Richmond Calif, or the unrelated collection of drunks that moved into our neighborhood in Seattle.
I guess that I should not complain that much about our current neighbors since they could always be worse.
We had similar odd people on our left like you had. He liked walking around his front yard in shorts a white singlet and gum boots. He never had a friendly word to say to you.. even when I invited him over for a beer one day. In fact we were often at loggerheads over such things as who pays what for a new boundary fence, to my dogs trying to burrow into their place. She was even weirder.. dressed like a 20s flapper and had an annoyingly squeaky voice.
For at least a decade I never got along with my latest on our other side. It all began when they first arrived..I offered to help them move in some of their belongings and was rather abruptly fobbed off. Not a good start. Then a week later I had to tick him off for mowing part of my lawn. Round two. A couple of weeks later they complained about my dogs barking while we were out. Strike three. It was not until a street Christmas party about 5 years ago that our relationship thawed. We are now friendly but little more.

Last edited:
Good folks around us.
Lady across the way is quiet
Batshit crazy, but quiet about it....usually

The kids up front are nice
They party some
Ask me to join 'em
Heh, I remember when I used to do that
Takes a neighbor off his stride

Anyway, I join 'em for a few minutes
They say to let 'em know if they get too loud
The crazy lady complained
Now...no parties

Kinda sad about that

Oh well, this party in my head is plenty

Been here 30 years now. have great neighbors. My house is about 30 feet above the lake. On either side of me is water shed (read swamp).
Really happy that most mosquitoes don't like to climb hills. Like my own private security....

Been here thirty years. Neighbors on either side are fine. One side watches my house when I'm gone, and vice versa. Across the very wide street, great neighbors. I've done all of my neighbors trees, at one time or another. As I contemplate moving, I do have concerns about the neighbors in my future. I hope everything turns out cool.

My parents taught me what good neighbors are - by being BAD neighbors.
While I was growing up, my mom threatened to sue our neighbors over all kinds of petty crap, like their tree dropping leaves in her Jacuzzi on windy days, etc. My dad knew she was being ridiculous, but he was too scared to argue with her because she threatened to divorce him & he had low self esteem & thought no one else would want him.
Recently, when half of my tree fell on my neighbor's balcony, I had my arborist take care of it the next day & also told my neighbor to let me know if there was any damage to his balcony. He said, "You're very nice."

Sometimes parents teach their kids how to be decent people by NOT being decent themselves.

Back