What do you think was the purpose of your life?

I'm pretty sure about why I was put here.
To entertain people & make people laugh.
To make all animals feel loved.
To help others who are physically less fortunate.
You definitely make me laugh, and I know your raccoons are well taken care of! Don't forget "to play the piano". ;)

We know that's in jest and you're quite humble.

From posts I've read, you are a family man, entered the military at the age of 18, married and brought 2 children into the world. You built many highways that connected loved ones, saved lives as they were transported in a hurry to the hospital on your highways, brought joy to travelers discovery America, and more.

You have served others all your life. You're a giver. An honorable purpose in life. Thank you.
`
Wow, Lara. You have really taken the time to get to know the lives and history of the members on SF, and what makes them tick.

I know we've had different views on religion, but your interest in other people is really admirable. Kudos! I'm beyond impressed!

I have been learning my purpose as I've moved through life.

I am an only child who took care of my mother for 22 years after my father passed away. I am a husband who has worked hard and given the family a decent standard of living. I am a "cat dad" who has adopted many cats through the years and who has given them great lives. I was a good leader in my career, who motivated my team and cared about them. I'm retired, but they have moved on to realize their potential.

I'm not sure there is a "purpose in life", but I do think our lives are what we make of them. We should have the best positive impact on others that we can.

This may be an odd question and perhaps there is no purpose but for whatever reason, I thought about this. I am in my seventies and think of all I have seen and done and am grateful but wonder if I or anyone has a specific reason for being. Some new age philosophies tell us we planned our life before birth to overcome some challenges from previous lives. I am not sure whether I believe that or not but since there is no way to confirm or refute that, I will leave it as a 'possibility' :) Anyway I would love to hear from anyone who has thought about this..TY in advance :)
From a strictly biological and evolutionary standpoint, we have no purpose. We are just elements and chemicals that spring from life, because that's one thing elements, matter, and chemicals do. Purpose is something sentient beings add to their lives, and it is different for each one of us. For me, adventure and fulfillment stand out, but there have been many things that made my life meaningful.

Why assume that there is a "purpose" in the first place? Having a purpose means someone or something has put each individual on earth with a specific plan or goal. That sounds like a theological question, meaningless to those of us who believe that the universe just IS, without a human-type mind guiding it.

If you have an individual "purpose" or goal for yourself, that's really a different question. Goals could be good, bad, or indifferent.

You may not agree that there has to be a purpose for all of us or we wouldn't be here. But...

Everyone probably agrees that purpose guides life decisions, influences behavior,
shapes goals, offers a sense of direction, and creates meaning.

Having a purpose is vitally important, as it leads to a longer, healthier, happier life.

Some may even say "a wealthier life" but I don't necessarily agree with that
because your purpose may be for unselfish reasons that require giving financially.

Rewards may not be realized during this lifetime...but that's not the goal.
`

Last edited:
From a strictly biological and evolutionary standpoint, we have no purpose. We are just elements and chemicals that spring from life, because that's one thing elements, matter, and chemicals do. Purpose is something sentient beings add to their lives, and it is different for each one of us. For me, adventure and fulfillment stand out, but there have been many things that made my life meaningful.
True from a biological and evolutionary standpoint, it is difficult to determine the purpose, especially considering how humans harm the planet through their own lack of consideration. Interesting...adventure and fulfillment as purpose :unsure:

Last edited:
Why assume that there is a "purpose" in the first place? Having a purpose means someone or something has put each individual on earth with a specific plan or goal. That sounds like a theological question, meaningless to those of us who believe that the universe just IS, without a human-type mind guiding it.

If you have an individual "purpose" or goal for yourself, that's really a different question. Goals could be good, bad, or indifferent.
I suppose I asked the question because I approach almost everything as having a purpose, i.e. a reason for being. I can go along with something creating or influencing lives in this world. I do not necessarily believe a human-type mind guides the universe... IMO there are forces greater than human minds

I am religious.

I think, first of all...we have purpose...and deep and important purpose.

If, we are striving to be good people, that will always mean, we respect and honor humility.

And sometimes, with humility, we get into too much self-deprecation and fail to properly honor ourselves and our lives. Because we don't want to be self-aggrandizing.

But, and I believe this, our purpose in life is to connect with God as deeply as possible.

And the way to that? Daily prayer. And more and more prayer. And deeper prayer. And as sincere as we can make it.

And a constant daily devotion to being as good and kind as we can possibly be.

To listen to and serve the better angels of our nature...and try, as best we can, to control and conquer our negative impulses towards anger, hatred, jealously, revenge and on and on.

I think the more work we do in that direction, the more doors it opens up, the deeper we connect with spirituality in and through all things...whether that is beauty in art and nature and music...or having love for the people in our lives.

I once read in a religious text, that in life, there is no pause button. We are either ascending the ladder of spirituality or slowly falling down. So, we either consciously do work in a positive direction, or the nature of life will suck is down into all negative qualities and experiences.

Personally, I think most of us are constantly doing that, even if not consciously.

We go fishing. Now, we make think to ourselves, oh, I want to catch a nice dinner. But we may also, subconsciously want to connect with quiet, with peace, with nature...and that fishing trip is really an act of spirituality. I think we all do that, even if we don't assign names to it, like spirituality.

At this age, with all I have been through? I respect everyone. I think everyone has worked hard, and enormously hard and suffered a great deal. I have tremendous respect for that. And I think, almost all of us are deeply good people, working very hard to be the best we can be.
Thank you..that was beautifully said ❤️

When I was in 8th grade, our teacher assigned an essay in which we discussed our purpose in life. She said she'd only given one A in 2 decades for a one sentence response. It was "time marches on".

She never did discuss the purpose in life thing, and I had no idea what to write. I managed to eke out a couple of pages, but I can't recall what I said.

I have to say I am always a little surprised when anyone says life has nopurpose
I think to believe in a purpose you have to believe that some higher power gives one. I don't.

That doesn't mean that I am against people giving themselves a feeling of purpose.
"time marches on"
That is interesting, not sure I know what it means. You have to admire the brave kid who wrote it. Must have know that a lot of teachers would have given an "F" for that one.

When I was in 8th grade, our teacher assigned an essay in which we discussed our purpose in life. She said she'd only given one A in 2 decades for a one sentence response. It was "time marches on".

She never did discuss the purpose in life thing, and I had no idea what to write. I managed to eke out a couple of pages, but I can't recall what I said.
The assignment was to discuss our purpose in life.
In 20 years she only gave one "A" for "time marches on".
That's not a "discussion" nor a "purpose in life".
E for Effort would be gratuitous.

I think to believe in a purpose you have to believe that some higher power gives one. I don't.
People are capable of assigning their own purpose for their own life.
I personally wouldn't trust myself to do as good of a job as the "Higher Power"...

But with or without a higher power...a purpose driven life guides life-decisions,
influences behavior, shapes goals, offers a sense of direction, and creates meaning in one's life.
`

We are born without a purpose, but purpose and meaning develop as life progresses. Currently my purpose is to aid my wife as time moves on for both of us. Then there are collateral duties involving friends, neighbors, pets, the ballot box, and a random fate that may be just around the corner, or waiting in the supermarket checkout line. Life provides a purpose, and if we are so inclined we are welcome to seek it out. A larger question might be what, if any, is the purpose of humanity?

Wow, Lara. You have really taken the time to get to know the lives and history of the members on SF, and what makes them tick.

I know we've had different views on religion, but your interest in other people is really admirable. Kudos! I'm beyond impressed!
I gave you a "Like" @dseag2 but I should have given you a proper thank you. That was so nice of you especially moving forward from a discussion in our past. I really appreciate it and can also move on. That's what having a purpose driven life is all about isn't it.

Back