What have you bought recently?

Coverless Duvet...

71mheLE-CCL._AC_SX352_SY330_.jpg

Coverless Duvet = Comforter in Canada. Glad you posted the photos, @hollydolly The naming of items sure changes from one country to another.

$5 for a Calvin Klein blouse in a thrift store. I was so cold while walking DT that I just popped in the store to get out of the wind.
Here a Comforter is something much thinner and more lightweight than a Duvet. A coverless Duvet comes in various weights like a normal Duvet except it doesn't need an outer cover :D

so how come Pinks calls it a Duvet and you call it a comforter and you're both in Canada ? :D
Marketing, by the companies. A duvet usually requires a cover. They come in a variety of weights, as do comforters. A throw is a smaller blanket. I’ve got to admit when watching HGTV and I see a white duvet on a bed with no cover, it bothers me. The beauty of a duvet is being able to just wash the cover and none of the bulk.

Marketing, by the companies. A duvet usually requires a cover. They come in a variety of weights, as do comforters. A throw is a smaller blanket. I’ve got to admit when watching HGTV and I see a white duvet on a bed with no cover, it bothers me. The beauty of a duvet is being able to just wash the cover and none of the bulk.
yes that's the beauty of these Coverless Duvets.. they don't need covers on them or you can choose to cover them if you wish.. however they wash beautifully in the washing machine.. so they're so much easier to make the bed with than changing duvet covers, especially when you have arthritis in the hands like me..

To me, a duvet is down filled (duvet being a French word for down). A comforter is polyester filled.

When I was a cleaner in a guesthouse, I had to change the duvet covers (actually comforter covers, but I digress). So difficult! Then a young German guest showed me a trick that he'd learned from his mom.

It does take a bit of dexterity, but much easier than the other way.

To me, a duvet is down filled (duvet being a French word for down). A comforter is polyester filled.

When I was a cleaner in a guesthouse, I had to change the duvet covers (actually comforter covers, but I digress). So difficult! Then a young German guest showed me a trick that he'd learned from his mom.

It does take a bit of dexterity, but much easier than the other way.

yep that's all very well if you're 6 feet tall and have no painful grip... it's much easier to buy duvet covers that have buttons 3 sides and open like a book..

Once I made a duvet cover - once. A friend said to use velcro. Another friend said the velcro would catch and stick together, use metal snap fasteners that you sew on. Those took forever. I swore I’d just buy a duvet cover the next time and I kept the promise to myself.

Duvet covers…..
When you buy a duvet cover…..all the ones I’ve bought and made……have a zipper on one side, always the foot end, or some have buttons.
The duvet covers have ties on each corner on the inside.
The duvet itself will have ties at each corner as well.
Turn the cover inside out so you’re at the head end….tie the ties together, duvet to duvet cover…..pull the cover back like you would a pillow case.
Shake like you would like a flat sheet, holding onto the cover and duvet, to get duvet and cover right together, zip up or button up.

When I made covers, always sewn ties on the inside corners.
If your duvet doesn’t have ties……just sew on shoe laces to the corners.

It really is a lot easier than it sounds……if you can shake a flat sheet, you can do the same with a duvet…..the fill on duvets are always light weight.

The fellow in the video does it the same way my DH did. I would stand on the bed to do it that way. Made another promise to myself - standing on a bed is stupid; always get DH to do it or buy a different bedding system.

@Jules There's no need to stand on the bed. Anyway, I had to learn how to do it because it was my job. Now I have a duvet with no cover; the duvet is washable.

I understand about getting others to do certain tasks. Right now I'm thinking of hiring someone to clean my oven.

@Jules There's no need to stand on the bed. Anyway, I had to learn how to do it because it was my job. Now I have a duvet with no cover; the duvet is washable.

I understand about getting others to do certain tasks. Right now I'm thinking of hiring someone to clean my oven.

just make a paste of vinegar and baking soda. coat the oven and leave overnight. The next day, wipe put and then rinse/ wipe with water on a clean rag or kitchen towel. All done!!

Back