What have you recently discovered about cooking?

CinnamonSugar

A Quiet American
I’ve been cooking for 50+ yrs and I just discovered how great parchment paper is! (I always thought it was just over-priced waxed paper *blush*)

what discoveries have you made recently in the kitchen—new ingredient, cooking technique, equipment—?

I've been watching a series of short videos posted by Jacques Pepin on FB.

It has made me realize that cooking for one or two people every now and then does not have to be an expensive chore.

https://jp.foundation/video-series/jacques-at-home-2020

Another simple thing that I've learned is to drain fried foods on a wire rack to keep them crisp instead of on paper towels.

I'm still learning to use my microwave oven and toaster oven to full advantage.

Finally, I've learned that I can eat pretty well by doing more planning than cooking. Today there are so many wonderful convenience/prepared foods available to us that I don't worry much about losing my ability to cook or being safe in the kitchen.

iu

Mix in baking soda for cloud-like scrambled eggs

mix-in-baking-soda-for-cloud-like-scrambled-eggs-1593531190.jpg

"A staple in cookie, cake, and muffin recipes, baking soda is a must-have for most baked goods. It's probably even already made an appearance at your breakfast table, as it's in most pancake mixes. What's more, it actually can give your eggs a lift, too. In fact, The Daily Meal suggests it's an important ingredient for creating the lightest and fluffiest scrambled eggs".

"Just as it helps prevent those sweet treats from becoming dense and heavy, baking soda transforms eggs due to its unique chemical makeup. Basically, it works by releasing carbon dioxide bubbles when it interacts with liquid and heat, creating a double-whammy of airiness. The key is not overdoing it: It's recommended you use just 1/8 of a teaspoon for every two large eggs. Just sprinkle it in as you're whisking and prepare to be amazed".

I spend wayyyyyy too much on grocery and not a huge fan of cooking anymore. Being retired, I enjoy trying different recipes but it's a bit much sometimes (especially when my Sciatica wants to act up). I get quick fixes sometimes which is fine with Hubby. He is still working therefore, I make sure he has a good meal to take to work. When he is off - he is in charge of cooking lamb chops on our indoor grill and Salmon when we have it on the menu. Marinates is a well hidden secret. Also, you can do wonders with frozen foods.

A staple in cookie, cake, and muffin recipes, baking soda is a must-have for most baked goods. It's probably even already made an appearance at your breakfast table, as it's in most pancake mixes.
Some recipes call for baking soda, some for baking powder. Mostly it’s the latter in recipes that I use.

I’d be willing to try a pinch of the soda in my scrambled eggs.

.The last few years I've gotten rid of all the oils except canola oil, virgin olive oil and real butter.
I use a lot more spices and herbs; especially fresh cilantro and green chilies in my cooking.
The stores around here sell USDA "select" or uninspected meat from Mexico. I have to hunt around to find USDA "choice".
The USDA SEAL is no more.

and,
Every meal should IMO be followed by chocolate! hahaha!

.The last few years I've gotten rid of all the oils except canola oil, virgin olive oil and real butter.
I use a lot more spices and herbs; especially fresh cilantro and green chilies in my cooking.
The stores around here sell USDA "select" or uninspected meat from Mexico. I have to hunt around to find USDA "choice".
The USDA SEAL is no more.

and,
Every meal should IMO be followed by chocolate! hahaha!
Just a suggestion, Gaer, but adding peanut oil to your list would be a plus.

Many health benefits.

I've learned to run when the Spousal Equivalent announces "I saw an interesting recipe on (fill in the cooking show name) and I'm going to make it tomorrow night!"

He buys $50 worth of exotic ingredients, messes up every pan, pot, bowl and utensil in the kitchen, goes into panic mode when everything doesn't come ready at the same time and then gets depressed when it doesn't turn out well.
I keep reminding him that there are four assistants off camera who have everything ready for the show cook. Camera pans away for a second and voila! there are perfectly sweated onions that appear at the perfectly appointed time.

Then I get to clean up the kitchen.

Back