What have you recently discovered about cooking?

Dare we ask.
Wife went shopping

I got hungry

Noticed a steel bowl of ancient salad fixings on the counter
I happen to really like limp/ancient salad that's been in the fridge a bit too long
Sat the bowl on the table
Squirted on some thousand island
Chowed down

Wife gets home
Thanked me for taking out the compost

Seems there were other, half rotten, things in that bowl

Hey, thousand island covers a lot of sins

Learned that I need to stick to using teflon pots and frying pans.

I've been burning the bottoms of the stainless steel pans(2), and I'm having a hard time cleaning them. And I dont want to anymore..lol. I'm thinking about just throwing them away.
They get too hot.

ETA: and cashew milk doesnt really change the flavor of things when you're cooking with it.

Learned that I need to stick to using teflon pots and frying pans.

I've been burning the bottoms of the stainless steel pans(2), and I'm having a hard time cleaning them. And I dont want to anymore..lol. I'm thinking about just throwing them away.
They get too hot.

ETA: and cashew milk doesnt really change the flavor of things when you're cooking with it.
I had to give up my cast iron skillets and pans due to not being able to lift them anymore. I am now using a nonstick teflon type of pans, which I said I'd never do. I researched how to cook in them and keep them in good shape and the thing is never use really high hot temperatures. And never put water in hot pan to soak. Let it cool first. So I am being careful with these to see if I can make them last. Hot temps in a telfon pan can affect pets, especially birds and rabbits, so I am careful.

That investing in high-end cookware makes for a more enjoyable and fulfilling cooking experience.

I've know it for years, but am truly living the dream now.

Here is my new roasting pan!

mauviel-roasting-pan-m-cookb.jpg
I
like good quality cookware as well @Aunt Marg I’ve got a (scan pan) brand roast dish with a dome lid that has a glass insert .( saves heaps of oven cleaning )

I sorta steam ( cook )mini plum puddings in it for Christmas using a muffin pan sitting on a rack
Mine is exactly like this .
Saves heap,of cleaning to I wipe mine out with a paper towel before washing
41C093EF-4655-4E15-8C9F-2E29D6775003.jpeg6D801C14-DB18-40BF-86AB-2AB2E65710B9.jpeg

Last edited:
I
like good quality cookware as well @Aunt Marg I’ve got a (scan pan) brand roast dish with a domec lid that has a glass insert .( saves heaps of oven cleaning )

I even cook , sorta steam ( cook )mini plum puddings in it for Christmas using a muffin pan sitting on a rack
You know, Kadee, sometimes it hurts so bad parting with a large sum of money to get something special and high-quality, but the payoff never fails to reward me in spades.

High-end cookware lasts forever... truly is heirloom when you think about it, and there's nothing quite like having a few select pieces that glitter and shine, helping to showcase that special Sunday meal or a favourite specialty dish served up for a special holiday get-together like Christmas.

When I first got married I had an old collection of aluminum cookware, and even at that time I wasn't crazy about it, but so nice it was to move to my first set of true stainless.

Is your Scanpan like this?

71aKfvxAm1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought this yesterday, it’s not that I needed to replace my old but still working toaster .
it was a $130 investment IMO for the options of having several settings .

I like the fact you can toast crumpets / bagels ect on ONE side ( only ) if you want to
I bought red cause I have a white kitchen and a touch of red gives it a bit of colour
@Aunt Marg
My scan pan Roast pan with lid is exactly the same as the photo I posted up,here ^^^^^ (y) (y)
I also have a standard 24 cm frypan ( scan pan ) with a glass lid i Use heaps
157451C9-4495-4F80-85AD-E33531BBF9E4.jpeg

Last edited:
I
like good quality cookware as well @Aunt Marg I’ve got a (scan pan) brand roast dish with a dome lid that has a glass insert .( saves heaps of oven cleaning )

I sorta steam ( cook )mini plum puddings in it for Christmas using a muffin pan sitting on a rack
Mine is exactly like this .
Saves heap,of cleaning to I wipe mine out with a paper towel before washing
View attachment 166748View attachment 166749
Sorry, Kadee, I find at times, some images don't display until the page is refreshed, which of course I didn't do before I posted my reply to you.

What a nifty looking cook pan that is!

WOW! Now that's a toaster! My pet-peeve with our toaster, aside from the fact it's almost 40 years old, is that thick sliced bread gets stuck in the slot, and English crumpets need to be sliced in half before toasting, otherwise they're too thick to fit in the bread slot.

I just love all the new coloured appliances and kitchen knick-knacks today, they remind me so much of the past!

Simple is better, for one. Also, when trying out a new recipe- there are a lot of ways to substitute common ingredients that you already have, for the 'exotic' ingredients that are expensive, or that you may never need in another dish.
I’m usually siting down about 2 in the afternoon for a cuppa and that’s when all the cooking shows are on TV .
I sorta listen more than watch them but I’ve said to hubby several times about allot of the food they cook that the average person wouldn’t either be bothered or even afford to make allot of the recipes demonstrated .
Ive sat here and added up just the bunches of herbs they will cut up and add to a dish
like spring onions $2.50 , fresh mint $2.20 for a small pouch of fresh mint , coriander $2.50
fresh parsley to put on top $2.50 so that’s close to adding $10 to the cost of the meal before any other ingredients @Nathan

I'm new to parchment paper as well and I love it especially for cookies.
I have found that pudding, or any sauce that needs thickening cooks up really nice in the microwave. No more stirring over a double boiler or watching things like a hawk in a pot on the stove so it doesn't burn.
Butter melts quickly and chocolate also but that has to be watched closely yet better than on a stove.
I warm my liquids to the right temperature needed for yeast in a recipe.
It use to take forever to peel garlic but I saw on tv that of you give it a whack with the flat side of a knife the skin comes right off.

I’m not a very good cook, I get enthusiastic and try something new, but it’s rarely good enough to have again. Not being keen on most vegetables (especially broccoli) I’ve discovered the best way to have them is in a soup so we have lots of soup in our house.

Back