What is something your mother told you NOT to do

Every time I came home dirty, muddy, with a black eye, or some other injury, or perhaps some other mother in the neighborhood complained about what I had done to her kid, mom would just say "I wish I'd've had girls. (sigh)."

Last edited:
My mother told me not to let a boy touch me or I would grow horns. Every time I bumped into a boy in the crowded school hallways, I would check my head for bumps.

Don't play with frogs, you'll get warts on your hands.
Don't turn over a rock when its raining and the sun is shining - if you find a hair on it, that will be the color of your wife's hair.
When your nose is itching, someone is talking about you at that moment.

Stupid people often think everyone else is stupid.

"Stupid people think... Yes we do!
At age 14 or so, we think were smarter than MOM-stupid.

Looking at post: Mom's were/are professional 'Nay Sayers'
We can identify with just about every 'don't on thread.

Last edited:
Polio:
You remember the scourge of polio.
They thought it may be spread by being in a group
Mom's said, don't bring your friends home (polio).
Don't be hanging around groups, you'll catch it.
Mom were right.
There were no precautions about groups in school, classroom or recess.
None that I remember: You?

When my sister would catch a cold, our mom would yell at her for going outside when her hair was wet or it was cold outside. I'd always LOL.

When my sister would catch a cold, our mom would yell at her for going outside when her hair was wet or it was cold outside. I'd always LOL.
I will catch a cold if I go outside when cold and I feel a chill going through my body. It happens everytime, so it's not a myth (for me). Only if I feel the chill, though.

She also told me to NOT forget:
I before E except after C
Not and never are never part of the verb
Remember the sounds of dinner and diner
When two vowels go a-walking, the first one does the talking
Nice means nothing. Find a better word.
Whenever you leave this house, you represent me.
A man is known by the company he keeps.
Every missive is a composition.

When Wes brings you home from a date,don`t sit out in the car talking.What will the neighbors think?!
LOL!!! Well, it reminded me of this:

A woman wakes up during the night to find that her husband was not in their bed. She gets up to look for him. She finds him sitting at the kitchen table with a hot cup of coffee in front of him. He appears to be in deep thought, just staring at the wall. She watches as he wipes a tear from his eye & takes a sip of his coffee.
"What's the matter, dear?" she asks.
The husband says, "I was just thinking about when we first met 20 years ago & started dating. You were only 16. Do you remember?"
The wife is touched, thinking her husband is so caring & sensitive. "Yes, I do," she replied.
The husband asks, "Do you remember when your father caught us in the back seat of my car?"
"Yes, I remember," says the wife.
The husband continues, "Do you remember when he shoved the shotgun in my face & said, "Either you marry my daughter or I'll send you to prison for 20 years?"
"I remember that too," she replies softly.
He wipes another tear from his cheek & says, "I would have gotten out today."

When I was 5, she said,"Don't ever put a bobbie pin in this electrical socket!" Of course I did and landed on the other side of the room!
That reminds me of when I was making faces at our toaster, which was reflective metal and my mother warned me to not do that. While I was making more faces I stuck my tongue out at my reflection, and yes, of course the toaster was hot, my tongue got stuck & I was screaming!

Back