What is the fascination for grandchildren?

I try to see mine once a month and attend their birthdays and other events. It's a big deal when I show up. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, in my case. I like them, but don't have the energy to spend more than two hours with them. The parents send pictures and videos in between. This morning my son was painting his daughter's nails. My dad would never have done something like that. He was someone you sort of observed from a safe distance.

Everyone is different but two hours is definitely too short a time for me. I love having them sleep over. When my grandsons come we always have to make sushi which we all love. Now of course we can't see them so often but we Facetime every day. My four year old granddaughter can't understand why we can't meet. When her mummy says it's because of corona she says "But I haven't got Corona" Almost breaks my heart

Due to my medical issues they all stay away, but now I am vaccinated and now they can get vaccinated so the not seeing some of them should end shortly. 😂. Otherwise I zoom, well, they zoom, and I join zoom so I am a zoom great grandmother. 😂😂😂

Nothing like watching a 2 year old have a temper tantrum for an hour while her mother says, “see how she acts”, “yes dear, she takes after you.” 😍

There is something magical about childbirth and children. Every new parent behaves like they are the first to do it. They take hundreds of photos, they can hardly wait to show them off, their joy is endless. Social media is full of baby photos and parental comments. Is it any wonder that the birth of a first grandchild is almost even more joyful. Happy grandparents pose with their grandchild, happy reminisces are prompted and baby is smothered with love. It's a scene repeated everywhere. Happy families.

iu

Others are right. It's hard to explain. But grandchildren light up our lives with more joy, pride and love. We get to see them grow from adorable, cuddly babies that we don't have to stay up nights with or change tons of diapers for, to cute, active toddlers who we get to send home with their parents after they wear us out, to young adults ripe to form special bonds with to adults who will hopefully make us proud. My first grand baby was full term but still born. He was the spitting image of my son. Subsequently he produced five more children, the oldest 32 the youngest 16, all of whom are smart, beautiful, loving, fun young people who are closely bonded with me.

As a young father, I remember how my parents lived out their role as grandparents. I remember the many group photos of them, surrounded by the grandchildren.....who numbered 16! I remember the number, because my sister had given them a needle-work pattern with 12 ovals, that were to be filled in with the names. The last four had their own smaller pattern.

My Mom died at the age of 58, and left a huge void. My Dad lived to be 90, but in the last ten years of his life, seemed to be more engaged with his children, than his grandchildren. He loved them, but they had become a kind of puzzle....sort of like a foreign currency. (My words, not his). The two exceptions being my sister's twin boys, who faithfully kept in touch by cards, notes and letters, right up til his death.

After 50 years of marriage, my Wife and I have 8 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. My Wife is at the center, and I am just hanging on.

Last edited:
I too feel there is a special strong bond with grandchildren that just is different from the love you have for your own children.
Can't explain it.
I think grandchild love is a more pure love. We love our children and this is a testable biological situation which is why fathers are allowed in the delivery rooms now. If the men are there, they bond more completely with the baby, bonding equals love.

The bond with grandchildren, for many, is not effected by time or distance. We simply love them because they are there and, for the most part, have no expectations as to who they become. Those little ones we simply want healthy and happy. Allows us to spoil them rotten. 😍. Makes a more enjoyable child raising experience for us all. IMO.

I would love to have been part of my grandchilds life but fate intervened and there was no turning back. We live at opposite ends of the country with only the occasional visit. She is now grown up but I do not feel close to her. With my other grandchild we had hoped to play a bigger part in his life but covid happened. We have facetime so I am grateful for that and hopefully I'll be able to give him a hug sometime in the not too distant future.

Grandkids are the icing on the cake. I was very close to my grandparents. They lived next door and they were like a second set of parents.
I love being with my grandkids ages 11 and 13. They sit and talk to me about things that are going on in their lives and because I do not judge, offer advice or discipline them they know its between me and them so they really open up with the most hilarious stories.
Of course if they told me something troubling I'd let the parents know and they would handle it without my involvement and I would never undermine their authority.
As grandparents you get all the good stuff and leave the child rearing to the parents.

I would love to have been part of my grandchilds life but fate intervened and there was no turning back. We live at opposite ends of the country with only the occasional visit. She is now grown up but I do not feel close to her. With my other grandchild we had hoped to play a bigger part in his life but covid happened. We have facetime so I am grateful for that and hopefully I'll be able to give him a hug sometime in the not too distant future.
I have two great grandchildren who live not very far away and never hear from them except to be reminded, by their mother my granddaughter, when a holiday is coming up so I can give money.

I bought everything for my granddaughter’s first child as her mother and her family, that this child was close to, would not help. Rarely saw them after my purchases but she saw the her family often. Second time she got pregnant, she and husband at my door again.

We need baby stuff. “Where’s what I already bought you before?” Oh, we gave it away. “Best get it back”. Lesson learned. 2018 I took granddaughter and both great grandchildren to Disneyland, paid for the whole thing. They’ve continued to only call me when it’s “money” time. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Sometimes things never work out even when you live close.

I have two great grandchildren who live not very far away and never hear from them except to be reminded, by their mother my granddaughter, when a holiday is coming up so I can give money.

I bought everything for my granddaughter’s first child as her mother and her family, that this child was close to, would not help. Rarely saw them after my purchases but she saw the her family often. Second time she got pregnant, she and husband at my door again.

We need baby stuff. “Where’s what I already bought you before?” Oh, we gave it away. “Best get it back”. Lesson learned. 2018 I took granddaughter and both great grandchildren to Disneyland, paid for the whole thing. They’ve continued to only call me when it’s “money” time. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Sometimes things never work out even when you live close.
That's another story, one which I hear frequently . We have to learn to say no, easier said than done.

I have three children but no grandchildren, so I have no experience. I do wonder why grandparents dote on their grandchildren so much. They seem to think they are perfect.
Loneliness not working too many hours alone and like many say with having their own gives the awards of reliving youthful everythings.

Back