What Is The Real underlying Reason People Dye Their Hair?

fmdog44

My lady neighbor just died her hair brown with blond accents. She looks great now. She is a very attractive woman with a great figure and I think she is 8 or 9 years younger than me. She was fully grey/white and I admit her new color has really made her look desirable. So is that it? Is appearance to others and one's self the reason? To me men dying their hair is silly looking because it I so obvious much like a cheap toupee.

My lady neighbor just died her hair brown with blond accents. She looks great now. She is a very attractive woman with a great figure and I think she is 8 or 9 years younger than me. She was fully grey/white and I admit her new color has really made her look desirable.

Go for itself. 🤪

Women don't tend to think of hair as unchangeable, meaning that how it emerges from the head is not necessarily what you're stuck with.

People use color, cut, style, professional assistance, and various products to reconfigure, disguise or enhance what nature delivers.

Yes, it's about the appearance to oneself and to others.

i guess they dye there hair, cos they dont like their own colour..

i hated my natural colour......strawberry blonde, so from an early age ,ive always had blonde highlights.......now i have bleach and golden highlights....im still waiting for the Grey 🥴😟 but to no avail.....🧐

I noticed this one woman anchor on CNN who had been a dark brunette and suddenly she is a light brown. almost a strawberry blonde. A first I wasn't sure I liked it, but then I thought about it and woman do change their hair color to go better with their skin color. That's what's advised for woman as they get older. But then, that's really just a preference.

P.S. No, this is not intended to be a political post. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As a young woman I occasionally tinted my hair for a lift to my self esteem. My sister was a hairdresser and was quite fashion conscious. Me, not so much but I did go through various phases when I wore wigs or wiglets and tried various styles such as a tightly permed afro. I tried tints and highlights at different times.

IMO this becomes something that women do and as we age we find it difficult to see ourselves in the mirror looking like our natural selves because we have always been accustomed to enhancing nature. It is the same with wearing makeup.

I find it liberating to embrace myself as the older woman that I have become and forget about the rituals of hairdressers and makeup. That is not to say that I don't scrub up on occasions and take particular care with my grooming, especially if important photos are likely to be taken. However, the hair remains white.

I know that some people simply enjoy the fun of doing it, and perhaps also, the sense of adventure, not being completely certain how it will turn out.
If it lifts their spirits, that seems good to me, even though I do not plan to ever do it, myself.

my opinion is like myself who does colour their hair -like my hair to look nice always - maybe vanity is the deep object -but
looking nice especially pass 50 is ok in my book ' not sure aging or having fears of it coz if that was the case we would all being having a nic n tuck somewhere -

If I could afford having it professionally done, I would color my hair again. On my own, I can't keep up with the root problem. Nothing looks as bad as white roots. I live on the fourth floor and when I look down & see folks with white roots it makes me determined to keep my hair natural. Looks so awful. Also, I've gotten shorter, so there are plenty of people towering over me who could see my white roots. Lucky for me I have the color of white that looks platinum.

Why would I color it if I could afford to? It looks better and I looked younger when I colored my hair. Of course, my natural color usually guarantees me a seat on public transportation and that's a good thing!

I can't keep up with the root problem. Nothing looks as bad as white roots.

Why would I color it if I could afford to? It looks better and I looked younger when I colored my hair. Of course, my natural color usually guarantees me a seat on public transportation and that's a good thing!
I was an early grayer, started at 15, and have black hair, so I was forced to color my hair. No way was I going to be half white hair by age 20 like my grandma. And I HATED those roots but didn't want to be light haired, what with the bleaching needed. I knew one woman who bleached and her hair started falling out, she could pull off fistfuls. As soon as I retired I let my hair grow out, all white by this time and have never regretted it.

I agree, women look much younger with colored hair and it looks good as long as it's not a dark color like black or dark brown. But, to have to put that toxic stuff on your hair every three weeks or so to avoid those root problems? Not for me, I rather look my age.

Does that work? :LOL:

If it succeeds in either removing the fears of aging,
or if it actually is effective in slowing at all, or preventing aging, itself,
then i would definitely reconsider trying it for myself! :ROFLMAO:

Not sure. I don’t dye my hair any more but never actually did dye it. I colour it with henna however I’d have to made up the henna paste, wait for it to activate, apply it and wait for hours but it most certainly made my hair look younger.

From the back it really suited me but from the front it was so colourful that if I didn’t apply makeup, my face would appear washed out. Plus I’ve got ultra long hair which grows fast . My roots would show in 7 days time so I’d have a big silver streak. It wasn’t an attractive look at all plus it would take me hours of my time to do it.

It felt so pretentious to me that even if I looked ten years younger, it wasn’t worth it. I’d be the woman be the vibrant red hair walking beside my husband who is five years younger but looks 10 years old which he hated. 😂

So to answer your question, I know you were kidding, 😉but I think it depends on the individual.
I love my grey hair. My hair now looks older than I actually am so my face looks younger, so technically I look like a young looking older person and I like that. After all, nothing about me feels old.

Here’s my hair before I grew in the greys.
You almost need shades just to view it 🤣

D4A3392E-3016-41FE-B4C0-3FFBFC2D8534.jpeg

Last edited:
my opinion is like myself who does colour their hair -like my hair to look nice always - maybe vanity is the deep object -but
looking nice especially pass 50 is ok in my book ' not sure aging or having fears of it coz if that was the case we would all being having a nic n tuck somewhere -

There’s nothing at all wrong with wanting to look good. I’d rather be called vain than frumpy any day.

Back