What is wrong with me?

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
I'm in the house alone. Ron's gone to work, I just kissed him goodbye. Need to use the restroom and I'm closest to the guest bathroom. But the door is closed. It normally sits ajar. So I ambled to the door ...... and knocked. KNOCKED!!! IN MY OWN HOUSE THAT IS EMPTY EXCEPT FOR ME!!!

Seriously? 🤦‍♀️ Have YOU ever done anything as knuckle headed??

I'm betting that when your husband left for work, you had a mental list of things you have to do today, and that closed door was a distraction.🤔 Distractions are always in the way of us getting things done and can cause us to do some silly things. It's times like this when we think, "Silly me", and laugh at ourselves. ;)

Last edited:
I'm in the house alone. Ron's gone to work, I just kissed him goodbye. Need to use the restroom and I'm closest to the guest bathroom. But the door is closed. It normally sits ajar. So I ambled to the door ...... and knocked. KNOCKED!!! IN MY OWN HOUSE THAT IS EMPTY EXCEPT FOR ME!!!

You should come out of the closet. 🤠

There are little things I can do without paying attention to what I'm doing, and without generating a memory of doing it, almost as if I'm on auto-pilot. For example, locking the house. A few minutes after leaving home, I suddenly realize that I don't remember locking the door, or even closing it.

My solution is to say "the door is locked" out loud (a whisper will do) as I turn the key. So now, not only have I locked the door, I have also said it's locked, and also heard myself say it's locked. Problem solved, so long as I remember to say "the door is locked" or "the keys are in the vase" or whatever it is.

That's it?
Just that one thing?

Have YOU ever done anything as knuckle headed??
Follow me around...for an hour....or just 15 minutes
I'm perpetually stopping what I'm doing, and staring up, with an incredulous look on my mug.
With the thought........ 'wut?'

The conversation continues with self.... goes like this;
'C'mon you ol' whore, git it together'

Last edited:
I do knuckle headed things too. I'd venture to guess that we all do. Being distracted or even force of habit (like knocking when someone's home) can take over our minds. You should hear my son admonishing himself out loud when he does what he considers dumb things. It's hilarious. I admonish myself out loud sometimes too. So you are normal Ronni.

Well, not too knuckle headed. If the door is normally ajar and it was closed, maybe you thought someone might be in there hiding....maybe an intruder? Knocking and hearing no sounds or reaction would put your mind at ease to open the door. I've done many things like that, some made a little sense, and some no sense at all. ;)

I'm betting that when your husband left for work, you had a mental list of things you have to do today, and that closed door was a distraction.🤔 Distractions are always in the way of us getting things done and can caused us to to come silly things. It's times like this when we think, "Silly me", and laugh at ourselves. ;)

There are little things I can do without paying attention to what I'm doing, and without generating a memory of doing it, almost as if I'm on auto-pilot. For example, locking the house. A few minutes after leaving home, I suddenly realize that I don't remember locking the door, or even closing it.

My solution is to say "the door is locked" out loud (a whisper will do) as I turn the key. So now, not only have I locked the door, I have also said it's locked, and also heard myself say it's locked. Problem solved, so long as I remember to say "the door is locked" or "the keys are in the vase" or whatever it is.
I do that, too. 'The door is locked' - my keys are in my purse' - 'where I have parked my car'

I do that, too. 'The door is locked' - my keys are in my purse' - 'where I have parked my car'
When I would take my husband's car, it was easy to find, even in a sea of silver cars. His had a black thing on the roof near the rear window, and that is how I correctly identified 100% of the time. By shear luck, too. Much later, I found out that the black thing was the antenna and it's on a lot of cars, even silver ones.

Absent-mindedness is a cognitive bias that happens when people blank out and make mistakes in daily life. The mistakes can be anything related to a lack of attention, for example, walking in a room and forgetting why you came in, dropping something unintentionally, or throwing your phone in the waste bin and keeping the coffee cup (which happened to me once). Absent-mindedness is where attention and memory come together, even though they seem to be two separate things.

Don't worry Ronni, it not only happens to the best of us and age has nothing to do with it. Arguably, the most famous case of absentmindedness has to be that of the Oxford don: William Archibald Spooner. He is credited with many a mispronunciation but admits to just one. In an interview about industrial relations he said of the rate of wages: "The weight of rages will press hard upon the employer."

Spooner also accepted that he once, at a railway station, kissed the porter and gave his wife sixpence. How I would love to have seen that.

Me ! Have I ever done anything as a knucklehead? Never! If anyone believes that then they are crazy !LOL

Me ! Have I ever done anything as a knucklehead? Never! If anyone believes that then they are crazy !LOL

Good attitude, there! I'll try to remember that response, if someone ever thinks I did!
(Saying to myself now: Remember that clever response! ;)
What was it now? Oh yes, "If you believe that, then you are crazy!" :LOL:
I think I have it down, now! :ROFLMAO: )

Living in a house with 2 males, I got in the habit of locking the bathroom door. It just became a habit of turning the door lock as I closed the door. Now that I live alone, I still lock the door. My hand just does it automatically. It's part of the process of door closing. 😳🤪

Back