What Is Your Christmas Menu?

OMG. we have so much food in the fridge and freezers I couldn't tell you what we'll be having.

It's only going to be us 2 tomorrow, and hubs is Vegan so we never eat the same meals...

I may have duck rolls with hoisin and plum sauce ... or I could have gammon joint with baked potato and veggies... and make the rest into Bacon and lentil soup... or I could have smoked salmon or trout... or I could have chicken and ham & leek pie with veggies ..or I could just have nibbles at lots of other things..pigs in blankets..or blini's and lobster mousse.. so much choice...but it won't be much of anything whatever we choose because neither of us are big eaters.. . Long gone are the days of slaving over a hot stove all day for lots of people
Bacon and lentil soup sounds like an old Pennsylvania Dutch soup called Ham & Bean Soup. I thought hoisin and plum sauce were the same? And, what are duck rolls? I'm guessing that it's a roll stuffed with duck.

Christmas Eve (family and a few guests):
Apps:
Cold shrimp with homemade chili sauce
Smoked whitefish
Crudites with hummus

Dinner:
Tortellini Alfredo
Sausage, peppers & onions (regular and vegan sausage versions)
Sauteed mushrooms
Pizza (dairy and vegan versions)
Caesar salad

Christmas cookies!!!

Christmas Day (family only):
Leftover apps from Christmas Eve
Shrimp scampi
Tofu scampi
Diced red potatoes with rosemary & sage
Green beans amandine
Refreshed leftovers from the day before (my kids love these foods and would be raiding the fridge to get them out if I didn't serve them again)

Christmas cookies and whatever desserts my daughter & DILs bring.

Not all are vegan foods, but we make exceptions on Christmas Eve & Day.
You must be the most popular hostess around your area. You sure know how to eat. 🥰

Last edited:
Traditional here....
Turkey , stuffing, yorkshire pudds, .pigs in blankets....Brussels with bacon,... honeyed parsnips, ...maple carrots, cauli cheese, .....peas,... crispy roast pots., bread sauce ......rich turkey gravy.....
followed by ,christmas pudd, thick cream and custard....

The thing is about ''classic Christmas dinners'' is that we as brits have that as our traditional Sunday lunch every week.. so it's not anything to look forward to at the festive season. Yesterday after shopping we went to the pub which of course is all decked out in Christmas style, and we had a typical Sunday/Christmas lunch ..Roast beef, roast potaoes, Yorkshire puddings, 3 veggies, cranberry sauce, beef gravy .. etc.. so I try and have something a little different on Christmas day

we never eat trad sunday lunch now, so look forward to the xmas dinner

Americans eat lunch 6 days a week, but most of us call that meal Dinner on Sundays because it's considered a special day with a larger and more special meal. Same with holidays, it's always Dinner.

Families often gather for Sunday dinner here, too. Typically a roast of beef, roasted chicken or ham for the protein. Many families in my area will also include or stay strictly to ethnic dishes.

My favorite was a roast leg of lamb seasoned with tiny slivers of garlic, mashed potatoes, creamed peas and salad.

We don't call dessert "pudding" and my mother never made any. I think what we call pudding, you would call custard.

It's all good!

Posted already in a similar thread, but it's breakfast for supper Christmas Eve with homemade gluten free biscuits for our lovely Celiac Disease genetics. Childhood party snacks such as the original recipe Chex mix (modified for gluten free), a big pot of gumbo, garlic bread, salad, homemade pecan fudge and an assortment of homemade pies for the Christmas celebration. Chess pie is always on the menu. Others vary. Party foods vary but usually include hot pepper jelly and cream cheese, creamed Brie with walnuts and honey.

Last edited:
Americans eat lunch 6 days a week, but most of us call that meal Dinner on Sundays because it's considered a special day with a larger and more special meal. Same with holidays, it's always Dinner.

Families often gather for Sunday dinner here, too. Typically a roast of beef, roasted chicken or ham for the protein. Many families in my area will also include or stay strictly to ethnic dishes.

My favorite was a roast leg of lamb seasoned with tiny slivers of garlic, mashed potatoes, creamed peas and salad.

We don't call dessert "pudding" and my mother never made any. I think what we call pudding, you would call custard.

It's all good!

You were doing good until you wrote “leg of lamb.” I cannot eat sheep meat no way, no how. The texture alone nauseates me.

I remember in the movie by Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol” and Bob Cratchit mentioned that he was making a spiced punch. It sounded more like a wine. Was it? He also made a plum pudding. Is that also something the Brits still eat?

The reason I say that I believe the punch is a wine is because I think he was letting it ferment.

You were doing good until you wrote “leg of lamb.” I cannot eat sheep meat no way, no how. The texture alone nauseates me.

I remember in the movie by Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol” and Bob Cratchit mentioned that he was making a spiced punch. It sounded more like a wine. Was it? He also made a plum pudding. Is that also something the Brits still eat?

The reason I say that I believe the punch is a wine is because I think he was letting it ferment.
I think they do eat plum pudding, figgy puddings, Christmas puddings, etc but to us, they are sticky cakes.

I wonder how Brits designate a cake as a pudding and other cakes as cake.

Maybe the punch your speaking of we call mulled wine? Which I dislike.

A near disaster:

I started to make my Moussaka this afternoon (photo was from another time). I bought 3 eggplants Sunday, there were no blemishes on skin and they were firm. When I was slicing them the pulp was brown! They didn't smell or anything. I didn't want to drive 12 miles for just 3 eggplants with all the mad traffic but I still wanted my favorite dish. So, I cut off the ends which were the ''browner'', and used the middle parts. I doubt I'll die, but if I never post again after tomorrow, Adios Amigos.

Just in case I survive but had to throw it out, I also made some Cheesy Zucchini Bake (photo below) for my Christmas celebration. And now I no longer trust myself buying eggplant. No skin blemishes and firm to the touch, and how come they were brown? I don't mean a few brown spots near the seeds, brown all over but worst near the ends. WTF???

Here is my Cheesy Zucchini Bake with cheddar and cubed bread

IMG_8961.JPG

OMG. we have so much food in the fridge and freezers I couldn't tell you what we'll be having.

It's only going to be us 2 tomorrow, and hubs is Vegan so we never eat the same meals...

I may have duck rolls with hoisin and plum sauce ... or I could have Gammon joint with baked potato and veggies... and make the rest into Bacon and lentil soup... or I could have smoked salmon or trout... or I could have chicken and ham & leek pie with veggies ..or I could just have nibbles at lots of other things..pigs in blankets..or blini's and lobster mousse.. so much choice...but it won't be much of anything whatever we choose because neither of us are big eaters.. . Long gone are the days of slaving over a hot stove all day for lots of people
Just curious, how do you handle cooking-wise being a carnivore and your husband a vegan? Must be quite a hassle. I am a vegetarian and I would never cook for a carnivore. When my daughter and family visited, all carnivores, they either ate what I made or they brought their own meat dishes or we all went to a restaurant and everyone ordered what they wanted.

Just curious, how do you handle cooking-wise being a carnivore and your husband a vegan? Must be quite a hassle. I am a vegetarian and I would never cook for a carnivore. When my daughter and family visited, all carnivores, they either ate what I made or they brought their own meat dishes or we all went to a restaurant and everyone ordered what they wanted.
You're right it's a bit of a hassle, noneless than t trying to keep the vegan stuff away from the meats in the fridge.. that's very annoying..

.. He mainly cooks for himself..I'll cook veggies like ratatouille for him, but he cooks his own vegan foods (tofu and quorn sausages and vegan non dairy cheese.., or veggie curries etc) ..or he eats rice and beans, with added spicy sauces.. and salads.. .

Does anyone still stuff celery with cream cheese?

My mom used to. And sprinkle paprika on top. I should do it some time. For a snack sometimes, she would use peanut butter instead of the cream cheese.
I had bought a roast to cook tomorrow, but decided to cook it today. I had some for an early dinner tonight, and will have more tomorrow. If there is any meat left ( it was a VERY small roast) I am going to cube it up and freeze it to either put in a future soup, or batch of chili.

My mom used to. And sprinkle paprika on top. I should do it some time. For a snack sometimes, she would use peanut butter instead of the cream cheese.
I had bought a roast to cook tomorrow, but decided to cook it today. I had some for an early dinner tonight, and will have more tomorrow. If there is any meat left ( it was a VERY small roast) I am going to cube it up and freeze it to either put in a future soup, or batch of chili.
I love peanut butter on celery sticks.

I also changed my mind and had the Moussaka tonight, will have the other dinner tomorrow. Hope I don't get sick from the brown/spoiled eggplant tonight.

Traditional here....
Turkey , stuffing, yorkshire pudds, .pigs in blankets....Brussels with bacon,... honeyed parsnips, ...maple carrots, cauli cheese, .....peas,... crispy roast pots., bread sauce ......rich turkey gravy.....
followed by ,christmas pudd, thick cream and custard....
Translation needed here.
What are crispy roast pots?
Brussel spouts with bacon wrapped around them?
That sounds like a healthy sprout 😂but goooood.

What’s bread sauce?

It’s hot here in Australia
We don't eat like we used to so we opted for a light christmas lunch ..a homemade 63F4B878-C66B-43A8-AF58-4B3AF0224763.jpegprawn cocktail
with the addition of Avocado/ mango / and homemade seafood sauce ....yes our Christmas luch has passed It’s mid afternoon on CD here
🎄🎅🎄🎅

Back