What Is Your Christmas Menu?

We started doing the gumbo at Christmas as we cook for New Years and Thanksgiving. Instead of me doing it this year daughter has ordered from Abes Cajun Café. I was wrong about CVS being closed for Christmas. The pharmacy will be closed but the store will be open. One of the grands works the store so she will not get home until four in the afternoon. So we will eat after that and open gifts. No worries as we will work around it. Main thing us all together and being grateful for what God has given us.

Translation needed here.
What are crispy roast pots?
Brussel spouts with bacon wrapped around them?
That sounds like a healthy sprout 😂but goooood.

What’s bread sauce?

lol all lovely food.....just eaten it ....mmmmmm.
(google it ) merry christmas ...🎄🎄

It’s hot here in Australia
We don't eat like we used to so we opted for a light christmas lunch ..a homemade View attachment 85672prawn cocktail
with the addition of Avocado/ mango / and homemade seafood sauce ....yes our Christmas luch has passed It’s mid afternoon on CD here
🎄🎅🎄🎅

Mmmm now that looks yummy.....my friend is in australia, and has similar cold meals

A near disaster:

I started to make my Moussaka this afternoon (photo was from another time). I bought 3 eggplants Sunday, there were no blemishes on skin and they were firm. When I was slicing them the pulp was brown! They didn't smell or anything. I didn't want to drive 12 miles for just 3 eggplants with all the mad traffic but I still wanted my favorite dish. So, I cut off the ends which were the ''browner'', and used the middle parts. I doubt I'll die, but if I never post again after tomorrow, Adios Amigos.

Just in case I survive but had to throw it out, I also made some Cheesy Zucchini Bake (photo below) for my Christmas celebration. And now I no longer trust myself buying eggplant. No skin blemishes and firm to the touch, and how come they were brown? I don't mean a few brown spots near the seeds, brown all over but worst near the ends. WTF???

Here is my Cheesy Zucchini Bake with cheddar and cubed bread

View attachment 85660

Well, last night I ate the Moussaka made with the ''rotten"? eggplants and I'm still alive. I will now be afraid to buy them, but that was the first time they were brown like that, other times they just had small brown spots near the seeds.

@Seeker posted the recipe post #32, I made it, and it was good and went into my recipe box. I use fake bacon and it was still good. I'm assuming it's the same recipe as Charry's.

https://www.seniorforums.com/threads/brussel-sprouts.44584/page-2#post-1177699
Thanks Catlady and after all that I forgot to cook the brussel sprouts but did manage to cook the turkey, make some gluten free stuffing and brown turkey gravy. Yummmm.... now I have to wait a bit for dessert. E592C885-A04B-4032-B4C1-239F263D056A.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks terrific, enjoy! Do make the brussell sprouts another time, they are delicious.
I had brussel sprouts and was looking forward to making them. My husband is sick today so was sleeping for most part of the day. It has nothing to do with why I didn’t make them but I’m using it as an excuse anyway. The poor guy. At least he didn’t moan and complain all day long. Of course I had my ear plugs in ....

😂I’m kidding. Lol 😆

After I made the apple pie, I had a lot of crust leftover from where you cut them around the rim of the pan. I just HATE to throw away food, so I gathered them up and rolled it all out and filled it with blueberries and some sugar and flour and oats and cinnamon and cooked it alongside the pie. Next time I will have to do a better job of sealing the edges, maybe moisten them with water or egg. A lot of juice dripped out. But, hey, now I have another dessert to get fat on.

IMG_8964.JPG

Last edited:
You were doing good until you wrote “leg of lamb.” I cannot eat sheep meat no way, no how. The texture alone nauseates me.

I remember in the movie by Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol” and Bob Cratchit mentioned that he was making a spiced punch. It sounded more like a wine. Was it? He also made a plum pudding. Is that also something the Brits still eat?

The reason I say that I believe the punch is a wine is because I think he was letting it ferment.

I can't eat lamb, either. The smell of it cooking makes me feel ill. I don't know what there is about it, but it has always been that way.

I can't eat lamb, either. The smell of it cooking makes me feel ill. I don't know what there is about it, but it has always been that way.
Me too. Lamb tastes the way it smells. One can’t help but think of bah bah black sheep while eating. 😝 Edit: I can’t help but think of bah bah black sheep 😂

Last edited:
Me too. Lamb tastes the way it smells. One can’t help but think of bah bah black sheep while eating. 😝 Edit: I can’t help but think of bah bah black sheep 😂
When I was young my mother sometimes made lamb. It didn't float my boat and I therefore haven't had it since I was completely free to choose what I ate. 40 years or more.

One of my sons had a HS burger joint job at 16. The Greek immigrant owners were nearly always on site and quite traditional. Son was working a few days before Easter, opened the walk-in fridge and hanging there was, as he described it, a lamb that looked like it had been turned inside out. Freaked him out!

As was his style, he named said lamb, waxed poetic about poor Buttercup and her sad fate, and turned this unpleasant incident into a rather hilarious anecdote. To this day, if anyone says the word buttercup, our family response is, "too soon."

Son and his wife are strict vegans for animal cruelty reasons.

Back