What items still use a 9 volt battery

WhatInThe

What items still use a 9 volt battery besides smoke detectors and old pocket radios?

Was in a dollar store the other day and I saw all the 9 volt batteries on the shelf. And hanging on the side right next to them were the nickel size watch batteries in bulk. I thought was ironic old style and new style right next to each other.

There are some medical units, like electrical stimulation (TENS) for muscle injury that use 9 volt batteries. All my old pocket radios use AA. Those small button batteries can be deadly if pets eat them.

My Fluke voltmeters still use them. Also, I have a couple of motion detector sprinklers that I put up around my garden every year...to keep the deers, turkeys and raccoons out of it...which use 9V batteries.

All the effects gadgets on the black board except for the red one (and my toes) takes one 9 volt battery. The boxes are on a "powered pedal board" that plugs into the wall, and has powered connectors going to each box. This saves my battery power and is much easier/faster to set up for guitar playing.

I don't know if they still make effect boxes that require a 9 volt battery, but just about all mine do.

Back in the day before I got the powered pedal board, I had to bring extra batteries in case one fizzled out on me. :eek:

messy ..

018.jpg

As an aside, the 9 volt battery is about the only readily available battery where you can touch your tongue to both terminals at once, and in doing so receive a mild shock. I can remember doing that as a kid when the info was shared with me... o_O

Did you ever wonder what's inside one? I did. Notice this one has a bit of corrosion.

9v.jpg

Don

The electronic lock on my gun safe uses two 9-volts.
My metronome (tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock)
My smoke detectors
My scales (both ammo reloading for weighing powder and my bathroom scale)

I have 2 of the lift chairs, that use a remote to help you to a higher position to get out of the chair, and to easily recline. Though they run on a power outlet, there is a 9v batter back up in each, so you can come to a standing position if there is a power failure.

Back