What kind of pie are you going to have in celebration of PI DAY, 2017 (3.14.2017)?

dpwspringer

I am going for coconut creme, that seemed to be my Dad's favorite and I am reminded of him whenever I have that.

I will go with banana creme!:D

serveimage

Here are a couple of facts about pi.

Archimedes estimated the value of pi by calculating the circumferences of polygons that just fit inside and outside the circle. Using polygons of up to 128 sides, Archimedes correctly found that pi must lie between 3.141 and 3.142. Ludolph van Ceulen, a Dutch mathematician found a value of pi accurate to 20 decimal places, using this same method, and eventually, spending most of life, found pi correct to 35 places. (what a wasted life) The number was engraved on his tombstone in 1610. Of course, now we can use computers to get as many digits of pi as desired (to googleplexes of places)

I used to tell my students (back before calculators) to use the phrase “May I have a large container of coffee?” (count the no. of letters in each word to get pi)
So today is pi day, 3/14, so at 1:52 ask your mate to give you a large container of coffee and drink it in 9 minutes and 6 seconds, and you will celebrate pi day.

My absolute fav. pie would be "lemon meringue", could eat it morning, noon, and night, but in reality have it only as a special treat (available here in Australia at Safeway)!

Our new Publix sells Peach Cobbler Pie with a crumb topping. It was addictive. Notice I said "was". I finally got a grip!

Back