What kinds of things have you found to do that are fulfilling since you retired?

COOL!
Can you share a link to that course?

I'd love to! I hope everyone finds a course that they would enjoy. This site offers so much in the way of interesting courses, that I have several certificates . And by the way, you don't have to spend money to get a certificate, do as I did and when you complete a course, download a blank certificate from another site and fill it in yourself. They can be framed if you like. These courses are all free! Go to Futurelearn.com.

Since retiring I've been spending more time on my photography and I also now volunteer with a local hospice organization. Currently seeing a patient who is in liver failure. A sad case.

I have no complaints. My retirement since 1990 has been fullfilling and then some. Bungy Jumping Scuba Diving White Water Rafting, Zip Lining over jungle and forests, many cruises on small and large ships, playing golf in different countries, playing Boccee and Pickle Ball on a regular basis, meeting many English speaking people from many countries.reading many books on history which is a love of mine. Living in New Zealand and Australia for a long enough time to appreciate both the country and the people, and doing all the foregoing while I was financially and physically able to do so.

I have no complaints. My retirement since 1990 has been fullfilling and then some. Bungy Jumping Scuba Diving White Water Rafting, Zip Lining over jungle and forests, many cruises on small and large ships, playing golf in different countries, playing Boccee and Pickle Ball on a regular basis, meeting many English speaking people from many countries.reading many books on history which is a love of mine. Living in New Zealand and Australia for a long enough time to appreciate both the country and the people, and doing all the foregoing while I was financially and physically able to do so.
Good for you, Lon. You are having a good time. It will be even better after your surgery!

I have become a Self Appointed Advocate for Hearing Impaired people. There is much to know and much to learn.
I will likely do something to help the hearing impaired also. I not only sell hearing aids but I'm darn good at fixing them. The local school for the deaf brings me students' aids sometimes and I tinker and bring them back to life.
I love when a patient brings their aid and it's not working. They have visions of $300 out of warranty repair bill. I go into my hoard of spare parts and hand them back a working aid.
I could see me doing that side of it in retirement.
Can't wait until that time comes but for now I'm happy so Ill keep working.

Found lots to do with Friends of the Library, was involved with photography until film changed over to digital, reading, Senior forums in England, Australia, and US. Tried to write a bit, found out not my calling, tried to play an musical instrument, not my calling either. Guess I'm an observer of the American scene.

I love being able to read a book all the way through without having to stop and go to work, that kind of trivial interruption. I do tai chi at a senior center; because it's at noon it takes a chunk out of the middle of the day. I walk most days for an hour or so. I bake bread for myself and the neighbors and take baking and cooking lessons through continuing education programs. Most recently, I learned some new ways to make curry.

Now that I've turned 60 I wonder if the Center on Aging here has any activities there. I'm not sure of the age requirements but it would seem like a good place to meet people offline.

Now that I've turned 60 I wonder if the Center on Aging here has any activities there. I'm not sure of the age requirements but it would seem like a good place to meet people offline.

I think here you only have to be 60. The membership is $13/year. There are always activities going on at the senior centers, which are city facilities. They provide breakfast every day and a daily lunch special, for a nominal price. This weekend the center is having its annual art fair, and in past years I've found some nice things. There are also groups who get together and do things, like go to plays and restaurants.

I think here you only have to be 60. The membership is $13/year. There are always activities going on at the senior centers, which are city facilities. They provide breakfast every day and a daily lunch special, for a nominal price. This weekend the center is having its annual art fair, and in past years I've found some nice things. There are also groups who get together and do things, like go to plays and restaurants.
Thanks. I'm going to call them. It would be good to have a place to go offline.

Great thread! So many great ideas, interesting hobbies and volunteer suggestions!

We've been retired a little over a year and stayed in our city apartment, which we love, did a little traveling, visited family on the east coast, and now we're ready to change our lifestyle up a bit. Once settled, we really want to volunteer, whether through church or a community center. My husband has coached in the past, would love to coach again, and I'd like to work with shut-ins, visit people who can't get out, may be isolated.

First, let me congratulate the one who started this thread. I am 56 yo (male) just retired ... due to medical mis-management that got me comatosed for 2.5 yrs. Now getting better by the day ... able to walk, drive and talk now.

The thing I am volunteering now is mentoring fresh graduates to start a career. Find it fulfilling and help a youngster put his foot on the pedal of life.

One of the great things about being retired{almost 7 yrs now} I can set my own schedule. I'm glad I retired when I did,was burnt out after 27yrs working part time as a pharm tech at a local hospital
I love having time to enjoy my hobbies,taking 3 daily walks,reading my books,going to the movies. I still enjoy doing my volunteer work 3-4 mornings/wk.
When I was working,on my 2 days off, I volunteered in the business office at my church helping the ladies with various tasks. I'm still there in the office 2-3 mornings/wk.One of the ladies,Lenore,who is our graphic designer,has taught me many computer skills,which still amazes me,considering 7 yrs ago didn't really know how to use a computer.I now do a couple weekly computer tasks she no longer has time to do.I like helping my friends when they need an 'extra hand' with a project big or small Sue

Thanks.

I would like to write but have to decide what about. That's great you stay occupied.

Glad you found a nice place that keeps you busy. I am trying to get into some of my hobbies, yes, I need motivation and am working on that. I already eat smaller portions of healthy foods and don't really know why you told me that. Didn't really like getting the tough love thing I said I didn't want. But thanks for responding.

Sounds good to me!

They say, "write about what you know about." I don't know if that helps. :) The eating smaller portions part sounds to me like the poster meant eat smaller portions than what we ate when we were younger and also "smaller portions" many times helps us have more energy, strangely enough. Sounds crazy, but I feel more lethargic when I eat larger meals. Just my idea. I wasn't sure what you meant by tough love and maybe the poster wasn't sure either. (I think I figured that out more now.) Your animals sound like a lovely "family." I'm sure I would love them too.

They say, "write about what you know about." I don't know if that helps. :) The eating smaller portions part sounds to me like the poster meant eat smaller portions than what we ate when we were younger and also "smaller portions" many times helps us have more energy, strangely enough. Sounds crazy, but I feel more lethargic when I eat larger meals. Just my idea. I wasn't sure what you meant by tough love and maybe the poster wasn't sure either. (I think I figured that out more now.) Your animals sound like a lovely "family." I'm sure I would love them too.
Thank you for your reply. This thread is pretty old but still keeps going. I actually don't recall what I meant by tough love now...lol..maybe I was feeling sensitive at the time..not sure. Now, when I feel lethargic after eating I take a nice nap..lol :)

Freedom..Freedom....to just be, and I mean..... be who you are, be what you want to be. No worries about other peoples problems. I totally understand tough love. There is just a point where you have to let it all go and stop trying to do for everyone else and do for you. I'm about to get there. It is fulfilling to know that when you wake up tomorrow that you can do what you want to do without worrying about what others expect you to do. I can get up and tend my garden, clean my house, I find it fulfilling to do what I want to do. Not really sure why it took so long but for me it did.

Freedom..Freedom....to just be, and I mean..... be who you are, be what you want to be. No worries about other peoples problems. I totally understand tough love. There is just a point where you have to let it all go and stop trying to do for everyone else and do for you. I'm about to get there. It is fulfilling to know that when you wake up tomorrow that you can do what you want to do without worrying about what others expect you to do. I can get up and tend my garden, clean my house, I find it fulfilling to do what I want to do. Not really sure why it took so long but for me it did.
Good for you! I am getting there, too!

An oldie but a goodie thread Ruthanne so it keep ticking along.

I have found that more time to just do what I want to do at the moment is fulfilling, whether it be a book, a drive, a McDonalds visit (me bad once in awhile) volunteering, just stopping to smell the roses.

I love calling my former partner up [he still has a couple of years to go before he can pack it in] and saying, "hey, guess what I'm doing today? Whatever the hell I want!"

Back