What kinds of things have you found to do that are fulfilling since you retired?

I retired 2 years ago and spent the first year taking care of my dying mother. She died a year ago and ever since, I've been focusing on living "mindfully." I meditate, garden, joined two book clubs, and volunteer for the local library. Perhaps most meaningfully, I've started a blog: cindysmindfulretirement.wordpress.com. I hope this helps.

Good evening to all-
I have not had a single moment of time since I retired that I did not have something to do. Of course, I have a real advantage- my wife is retired too, and she is very, very good at finding things that need to be done by me.
Truly, down time has not been a problem, but on those rare moments when time does present itself, it is so nice to be able to start reading with a couple of small dogs alongside to help me- and to then wake up an hour later feeling much better and ready for the next assignment.
This is a good life-
Ed

I retired almost 15 years ago. For the first 9 years I did a lot of traveling to either motorcycle or ride horses in a variety of foreign countries in both Asia and Europe. When home, I took horse back riding lessons and made multiple motorcycling trips to Canada, Alaska and coast to coast. When at home I loved to play computer games - mostly Final Fantasy XI. Don't play quite as much now. I also took martial arts lessons and earned my 1st and 2nd degree black belt My Dojang unfortunately closed in 07 when the economy tanked , but I have picked it up again the last 3 years and have earned my 3rd degree belt. I had to take an involuntary hiatus when they discovered I had ovarian cancer in 2011. Between the surgery and Chemo, I took an involuntary break from all my activities, but I made it thru the 5 years with no return and I'm back at it.
My daughter likes to do the yard work (she lives with me) so I butt out and let her have at it. After my grandson broke up with his girlfriend, he too moved back in and his 4 year old son lives here 50% of the time, so I do not lack for company and socialization. I signed up for a Tai Chi class the end of Jan at the local college - ; it is excelent for balance and flexibility - so a good complement to my TaeKwondo. I watch a lot of TV but when I'm on the computer or doing needlework - can't just sit and watch TV LOL. Also read but not quite as much as I used to

I retired almost 15 years ago. For the first 9 years I did a lot of traveling to either motorcycle or ride horses in a variety of foreign countries in both Asia and Europe. When home, I took horse back riding lessons and made multiple motorcycling trips to Canada, Alaska and coast to coast. When at home I loved to play computer games - mostly Final Fantasy XI. Don't play quite as much now. I also took martial arts lessons and earned my 1st and 2nd degree black belt My Dojang unfortunately closed in 07 when the economy tanked , but I have picked it up again the last 3 years and have earned my 3rd degree belt. I had to take an involuntary hiatus when they discovered I had ovarian cancer in 2011. Between the surgery and Chemo, I took an involuntary break from all my activities, but I made it thru the 5 years with no return and I'm back at it.
My daughter likes to do the yard work (she lives with me) so I butt out and let her have at it. After my grandson broke up with his girlfriend, he too moved back in and his 4 year old son lives here 50% of the time, so I do not lack for company and socialization. I signed up for a Tai Chi class the end of Jan at the local college - ; it is excelent for balance and flexibility - so a good complement to my TaeKwondo. I watch a lot of TV but when I'm on the computer or doing needlework - can't just sit and watch TV LOL. Also read but not quite as much as I used to

You may be retired, but I don't think you'll ever get old, you're too busy! That's an impressive list of accomplishments during retirement. Sounds like you found better things to do than retire! I'm very impressed.

Ruthanne, I have never heard of a senior center turning away anyone because they are not "old enough." There is usually a wide variety of ages. Unless you are about 21, nobody is going to ask your age.

Are you interested in meeting other people volunteering? In Australia we have plenty of opportunities, helping for the senior day groups, volunteering at the Aged Care homes, volunteering at the Op-shops (Goodwill?). Many who get involved in these do it for the satisfaction they get themselves. Hubby and I entertain at the Aged Care and Day groups and other events and run a strumalong group which is similar to ukulele group, with a wide range of stringed instruments (and singers) and have had many beginners, some 80+ happily joining in. I can vouch for the joy of playing an instrument too, only started a few years ago, basically taught myself and have been playing in church and at the above for a while now, but I suppose it does help to have supportive friendly people around me.

Dogs, cats, birds, bicycling, walking, going to symphony, visiting my daughter (2 hrs away), church activities. They keep me busy.
Since my bicycle accident, I'm thinking of buying an ebike (runs on battery, almost invisible, and can go 20mph. They also allow you to pedal if desired, just for the exercise and also it may go farther without recharging the battery. As far as I know you can use them on the greenways and bike paths, but no motorized vehicles are allowed there. I can't imagine life unless I can get out into the open air and watch the lakes, the ducks, the scenery. I rode 10 miles yesterday, the first time since I wrecked 3 months ago. I hope I can get back in shape like I was last summer.

Well what is it you love to do? Do more of it if you can. Shortly after retirement, I got a digital piano which inspired and allowed me to compose in several genres. After the responsibilities of caring for my mom were over, I began to travel more often, indulging my need to be at the ocean. For several years, I was addicted to a site called Eons where I connected with a lot of people who remain my (online) friends today, mostly on Facebook. A couple became good personal friends as well. Since that time I've spent a lot of time social networking both sharing and gleaning information. Doing so has expanded my horizons. I love the subjects of retirement and finance and "inhale" articles about those subjects. I counsel Gen X'ers & Millenials whenever I get the chance on how to cut their expenses so they can devote more to their retirement funds, thus not being among the tragic statistics of senior poverty. More recently, I've discovered adult coloring books. Working in those has inspired me to get back to my artwork. I also go to the gym. Never did that until I got into my 60s. Most of all, I stay connected to family and friends.

Gardening and my dogs, keeps me busy with things I like to do. I got rid of activities I don't like and people who thrive on drama. I live in a compact house (not a tiny house, I'd be claustrophobic in there.). Maintenance is minimal, and I have a maid come in a couple of times a month to do the harder cleaning I can't do anymore, like tub enclosures. I also have a gardener who comes here spring and fall to deal with the irrigation system and major pruning or tree maintenance. I don't think I could live without a garden and canine companions. The garden gives me beauty (I can spend much time just strolling around and drinking it all in) and fresh produce. The dogs give me companionship, safety and much laughter. I hope to be living like this til the end.

A lot of great suggestions that are from a personal level. Only you know what your finances will allow you to do. Next would be your health. Age being the final leg of what you will actually end up being able to do as the years roll by. Planning for 30 or more years in retirement does take into account the 3 things I mentioned.

As I mentioned there are a lot of really great suggestions, If it were me I'd sort thru them as a way to form a long term plan.

I never had trouble figuring out what to do on the weekends when I was working. They were always too short for me!

Now that I'm retired, I do a lot of those same things. Honestly, this is my 8th year of retirement and I haven't been bored yet. Also I have not felt like a bum for enjoying some well earned leisure in this last part of life, after half a century of working so very, very hard when I was younger. It's nice to be able to decide what I want to do with my time now. I go to the gym, play video games, listen to podcasts, spend time with loved ones, read interesting articles, manage my finances, and more. I'm constantly finding new activities that I always wanted to try and new interests to explore, and now I can. Today I sent my first text message on my phone, and so did my boyfriend so we have something new to share each day. We'll never fall into a rut because we are both adventuresome and like to try new things (even though we don't care to travel).

I hope you can figure out what you want to do in retirement. Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

I never had trouble figuring out what to do on the weekends when I was working. They were always too short for me!

Now that I'm retired, I do a lot of those same things. Honestly, this is my 8th year of retirement and I haven't been bored yet. Also I have not felt like a bum for enjoying some well earned leisure in this last part of life, after half a century of working so very, very hard when I was younger. It's nice to be able to decide what I want to do with my time now. I go to the gym, play video games, listen to podcasts, spend time with loved ones, read interesting articles, manage my finances, and more. I'm constantly finding new activities that I always wanted to try and new interests to explore, and now I can. Today I sent my first text message on my phone, and so did my boyfriend so we have something new to share each day. We'll never fall into a rut because we are both adventuresome and like to try new things (even though we don't care to travel).

I hope you can figure out what you want to do in retirement. Lots of good suggestions in this thread.
Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for your comment.

Thank you everyone for your comments on this subject.

I cocoon in the winter. I watch British Murder mysteries on Netflix and PBS. I also read ghost stories and mysteries from the library. In the summer I fight weeds and bugs in my lawn, and cheerfully whittle down my to do list. When nobodies home, I play my drums to rock and roll year round. So far I'm getting happier everyday.

Have a lifelong interest in travel but age and health issues now limit me to the arm chair variety (reading and travel documentary type TV could hold my interest for hours) but browsing my travel journals bring back wonderful memories. I have done genealogy research on my family for past 30 yrs. and will continue that as long as my brain holds up. DNA testing has confirmed many family connections and opened door to new lines. I only wish I understood more of that process. I also do miniature stitching for collector's doll houses. Miniature oriental rugs my favorites. I have strong hermit genes so am not plagued with loneliness or boredom. Blessing or curse? I honestly don't know.

I am retired but not by choice. Any how I am trying to find ways to motivate myself to do things. I am not into tough love so don't try that on me please. lol. I am trying to take small steps into making my life more meaningful. Well, please tell me what you do to make your retirement life more meaningful to you. I appreciate hearing what you do most of all.

For myself, the expression ... Stop and Smell the Roses ... is my way to cope and live these days. Not having a schedule to follow, and doing things at my own (slow) pace works well. I don't feel like I need to find something new to occupy my time at all.
I'm learning to enjoy and reflect on the past ... it keeps me sane and happy.

Just keep the brain and body active.... I do all my own yard work, mowing, cutting trees and bushes, etc.
And I feel playing games is wonderful brain exercise.

Since retiring in '82, my most important activities have been managing my investment portfolio and taking adventurous kayak trips.
Just today I was deeply involved in updating my financial records, but the kayaking is no more. The age thing, you know.

I always knew what I would do when I retired; write a book, sew doll clothes, paint a master piece. Now the time has come and I don't want to do any of that stuff. I feel I am drifting through time with no destination.

I always knew what I would do when I retired; write a book, sew doll clothes, paint a master piece. Now the time has come and I don't want to do any of that stuff. I feel I am drifting through time with no destination.

I spent so much time worrying about what I would do with myself after I retired.. Now that I have retired I finally found the answer... "Whatever the heck I want to".... I have no desire to find a meaningful existence... whatever that means. I am very happy being a bum and being at peace.. Of course, I've never really needed to be around a lot of people.. and can take or leave socializing..

We retired in our mid 60's had our home with a large garden. We enjoyed pottering around, my husband did beautiful
woodwork and I volunteered at our local library, we both liked to cook, and we lucky to be able to do some travelling.
Now that I am alone, living in a senior residence, I take part in some of the events here, belong to the drama club,
the supper club and the library.
Yes, there are times when I am lonely, would like to see more of my family; but they lead busy lives and we are in touch
several times a week either by phone or Facebook. I try not to dwell on being lonely; I am a reader, spend time on the computer and watch TV in the evenings, seldom in the daytime.
All in all I am content with my life.

Back