What type of meals did you grow up on?

Pinto beans, greens and cornbread, again and again...
Meat? what's that.
Swore I'd never eat pinto beans once i was grown, but in a few years i missed them.

Married a Yankee that did not know what Pinto Beans, Greens and Cornbread were
I never had cornbread growing up but loved it the first time I had it. Is there anything cornbread doesn't go good with?

A Home cooked meals
We had our own milk, eggs, chicken, pork, beef, fruit trees and a huge vegetable garden.
My mom and I canned 100's of quarts to last all winter. only needed basic stuff like flour, sugar and spices from the grocery.
We only had soda if it was someone's birthday and ice cream on holidays.

I never like beets because they tasted like crap, seemingly regardless of how you cooked them - the exception being some pickled beets I once had. They weren't bad.
Pickled beets are a staple in my refrigerator. Always liked cooked beets with lots of salt and butter. Seems like all the veggies I hated as a kid, I love now.

All our meals were home cooked but horrible greasy soggy chips and onions is one that crosses my mind which was cooked in fat , the fat tin was kept on the old wood stove that was used for cooking summer and winter.
We ate things like ox heart , lambs fry , stews (that were good) I was the shopper in-house from about 9 years old , using my push bike I’d be sent to the butchers once a week to buy a side of lamb. so we at least 2 roasts a week, no such thing as supermarkets where I lived so the shopping was at a corner store or a vegetable shop ( that’s still owned by the same family to this day )
The only time we had chicken was Christmas and only had horrible salty smoked fish at Easter .

I hated cabbage and was made to sit at table until I ate it all ,I still hate it ( cooked )

Last edited:
A-occasionally they would order pizza or chow mein that was usually when my uncles and their family visited.
A Sunday roast after church, Mom was a pretty good cook although there were some oddities like tuna on toast with cream of mushroom soup over top, an unstructured version of tuna casserole.
She passed when I was 12 and Gran took over, Mom definitely didn’t get her cooking skills from her!
Then Dad remarried and the step monster was no cook!!!
Don’t remember TV dinners being served.

Mother belonged to the Officer's Wives Club and they put out a cookbook so she was really into cooking.

I remember she often made these for us...

Meatloaf and fresh roasted vegetables.
Shepherd's pie (ground beef, tomato soup, and green beans all mixed together with mashed potatoes on top).
Spaghetti and salad.
Stroganoff over egg noodles or rice.
Sauerbraten cooked in the pressure cooker.
Chicken Curry over white rice served with little bowls of condiments to sprinkle on top like chopped peanuts, coconut, raisins, etc.
Pot Roast, root vegetables, tomatoes, and onion, in a pressure cooker.
Vegetable Soup.
Roasted Chicken with broccoli and potatoes.
Sukiyaki when we lived in Japan
Many Desserts but family favorites were Hot Fudge over vanilla ice cream, fresh Strawberry Shortcake, etc.

One time she made what she called a "Tipsy Parson Trifle"...layers of lady fingers, vanilla pudding, strawberries whipped cream (and I could taste some type of liquor in it like whiskey or brandy or bourbon?) she made layers in a big glass bowl...very impressive to look at.

Not once did we have any kind of take-away meal when I was growing up. Not even fish & chips or even just a bag of chips..there was very few actual take-away food shops or restaurants in Scotland in those days ( 60's & 70's).. we had Wimpey, a kinda poor relation of Maccy-Dees.. but , but we did have plenty fish and chip shops who sold lots more than deep fried fish..

Not once did we get even a bag of chips to share amongst us kids, bought by our parents !!

As children we'd buy a hot steaming bag of chips on Saturdays sometimes when we'd been swimming in the unheated public baths.. but aside from that..I was an adult before I tasted any kind of Take -away food..Pizza, Chinese, Indian, ..anything...

My mom was a good cook, so mostly home cooked meals.I loved Swanson TV dinners esp chicken,certainly doesn't taste the same like it did back in the 60's
My mom was also a good cook but we also had Swanson TV dinners as well. Back in the early 1960's they seemed "futuristic" to we kids, despite the fact they had to be cooked in a conventional oven.

swansen.jpg

The first home-use microwave came out in 1967 and sold for $495
(in 2021 dollars that's $3,200)

61F72yIfW8L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Definitely "A". With six kids at home and only my dad working in the packing house, it had to be home cooked. And back then, packing house wages were meager. To supplement that low wage, we had a huge garden in our back yard. We never wanted for food. Always picking something out of the garden to go with dinner. Tomatoes, corn on the cob, kohlrabi, green beans, radishes, onions, you name it.

I didn't start going out to eat until I started dating. And then, I had such little experience eating in a restaurant it was embarrassing. When I started dating my husband, he just didn't understand why I sometimes didn't want to go to a really nice restaurant. And I was too embarrassed to tell him.

Definitely "A". With six kids at home and only my dad working in the packing house, it had to be home cooked. And back then, packing house wages were meager. To supplement that low wage, we had a huge garden in our back yard. We never wanted for food. Always picking something out of the garden to go with dinner. Tomatoes, corn on the cob, kohlrabi, green beans, radishes, onions, you name it.

I didn't start going out to eat until I started dating. And then, I had such little experience eating in a restaurant it was embarrassing. When I started dating my husband, he just didn't understand why I sometimes didn't want to go to a really nice restaurant. And I was too embarrassed to tell him.
There was 6 of us .. and still it was canned, packet & processed....

Home cooking mostly. Various meat dishes were served quite often. On weekends we frequently ate out. There must have been eight restaurants within walking distance...Chinese, delis, etc. A bakery was just around the corner, so nice fresh bread, rolls and pastries were always available.

Mom did her best to feed four kids; weren't the fanciest of foods, but they were homemade and good. She also taught us to enjoy most of the veggies. I remember there being a few times when we didn't have much to eat; but, somehow we managed. I don't remember much, perhaps that is good.

All our meals were home cooked but horrible greasy soggy chips and onions is one that crosses my mind which was cooked in fat , the fat tin was kept on the old wood stove that was used for cooking summer and winter.
We ate things like ox heart , lambs fry , stews (that were good) I was the shopper in-house from about 9 years old , using my push bike I’d be sent to the butchers once a week to buy a side of lamb. so we at least 2 roasts a week, no such thing as supermarkets where I lived so the shopping was at a corner store or a vegetable shop ( that’s still owned by the same family to this day )
The only time we had chicken was Christmas and only had horrible salty smoked fish at Easter .

I hated cabbage and was made to sit at table until I ate it all ,I still hate it ( cooked )
Ah... The side of lamb! Fabulous. I used to get one every week when I was first married. I cannot imagine how you were able to wrangle that on your bike.

Is there anything better than a baked leg of lamb and baked potatoes?

Ah... The side of lamb! Fabulous. I used to get one every week when I was first married. I cannot imagine how you were able to wrangle that on your bike.

Is there anything better than a baked leg of lamb and baked potatoes?
The front basket on the bike and a old string bag ( the bike baskets were made of tough wire back then ) and a spring loaded carrier on the back of the bike with an old wood cool drink crate
@Warrigal it wasn’t unusual for many family’s to just catch the bus or walk rather than having a car which many couldn’t afford . The only one who had a car was one Aunty, the other aunt who’s just died at 93 never had a car or my Grands .

I lived in Broken Hill Warrigal so it wasn’t far from anywhere But I had to pedal over the big hill to south BH to get the meat but it was OK coming back cause it was all down hill

I had a flash back of making porridge for the younger Kids as I made some for hubby and I this morning , I use a cup of milk/ I cup of water / 1 cup of rolled oats to make ours .
When we were kids I’d use I cup of rolled oats to 8 cups of water …8 kids … ( soaked overnight )
then had to light The Old wood stove to cook it ..it was like water but we loved it cause it was a real treat cause we didn’t get it very often

The front basket on the bike and a old string bag ( the bike baskets were made of tough wire back then ) and a spring loaded carrier on the back of the bike with an old wood cool drink crate
@Warrigal it wasn’t unusual for many family’s to just catch the bus or walk rather than having a car which many couldn’t afford . The only one who had a car was one Aunty, the other aunt who’s just died at 93 never had a car or my Grands .

I lived in Broken Hill Warrigal so it wasn’t far from anywhere But I had to pedal over the big hill to south BH to get the meat but it was OK coming back cause it was all down hill
I grew up in Bankstown and we never had a car either. Ditto no sewered dunny, no sink in the kitchen and the bathroom was just a partitioned corner of the laundry but our childhoods were quite idyllic.

I grew up in Bankstown and we never had a car either. Ditto no sewered dunny, no sink in the kitchen and the bathroom was just a partitioned corner of the laundry but our childhoods were quite idyllic.
Yep when you think of those stinking back yard dunny‘s :eek: Bit off topic but still related to food :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: @Warrigal

Back