What was the funniest bit you ever saw on a TV sitcom?

YES! This is the one I was going to post, but you beat me to it. Undoubtedly the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV.

It doesn't seem as funny now, but at the time it was hilarious.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly" became a running phrase between my late husband and I. Whenever something happened that took us by surprise, one of us would say those words.

An episode on Mary Tyler Moore Show about the death of rarely seen character on the show "Chuckles the Clown."
At the memorial service,when the minister begins talking about Chuckles, Mary begins to giggle and tries to control herself without much luck.I thought it was funny

I remember what I saw that the first time, I laughed so hard tears came to my eyes.

My first thought was the Tim Conway/dentist sketch. I was literally on the floor, laughing. Also, the Carol Burnett GWTW sketch. Wasn't that
the longest laugh, ever recorded, on television? Third would be most of the Three & a Half Men shows. Excellent cast! I'm still watching most
of those.

Fawlty Towers..the Germans episode...freely available on you tube.
in which a concussed Basil manages to insult a group of German tourists terribly with war stuff.
‘ We didn’t start it!’
’Yes you did!You invaded Poland!’
Won’t post it here.Some may find it offensive!
from a different episode Ducks off!
and Radish Rose has posted the scene I was on about

Last edited:
There was an episode of 2 1/2 men whre Charlie and Alan were sick as dogs, getting ready for a double date, that was hilarious! The acting was supurb!
But, I think my all time favorite was:

an episode of Taxi (remember this?) where Christopher Lloyd was getting his driver's licence and the drivers were all there to help him.
He asked them, "What does a yellow light mean?"
"Slow down."
"W-h-a-t d-o-e-s a y-e-l-l-o-w- l-i-g-h-t m-e-a-n ?"
"Slow down.
"W--h--a--t d--o--e--s a y--e--l--l--o--w l--i--g--h--t-- m--e--a--n--?"

hahaha! I was rolling on the floor!
WHAT WERE YOUR FAVORITES?

That one is my very favorite too.

This wasn't a comedy bit. It was Julia Child's cooking show. She started off by telling us about a French dish- Fish. You know how she spoke French, when naming the dish. And this fish had to be tenderized., before it was cooked. From under the counter she grabbed a huge fish by the tail. She swung it over her shoulder and pile drove it into the counter. So she whips out this hammer and starts to wail away at the fish. We're not talking a little tappy tap. She's beating the hell out of this fish. She huffing and puffing, and swinging that hammer like there's no tomorrow. The fish is bouncing around as she's just whacking away at it. I fell on the floor laughing. I'm on the floor looking up at the TV, and she's still going at it with the fish. I was laughing so hard, I was crying. That is the funniest thing i ever saw on TV.

Back