What's for dinner ( or lunch )

frozen blueberries in a bowl that was kept in the freezer ,almond milk poured over with a little natural crunchy peanut added.

We've been eating more elaborate protein-rich dinners for several days. Today was a day devoted to gathering veggies (like carrots) that had gone too far in the pantry, repairing various things, cleaning out the Toyota station-wagen, helping a friend toward a spring yard sale.

It's going to be a quick, simple dinner. I'm thinking pancakes. Once the barter is mixed, DW & I can put whatever we each want in before we pan cook them.

Last edited:
Diva, never knew you could freeze rice. Does it stay the same texture? I generally use brown rice.
Someone resurrected this thread and it's a long one. I don't remember if I ever responded to your query but won't go through the thread to find out. I rarely freeze rice but if I remember correctly, it freezes well. I heat things in the microwave and if I remember correctly, the consistency of the heated rice was good. If I heated in a pan, which means I'd have to add a little water, the rice might get too soft.

I've never tried haddock , or any other fish, in a cheese sauce. I cooked salmon steaks with a broccoli salad and small roast potatoes for dinner.
It's going to be chicken jalfrezi with rice this evening.
you should try it , it's very nice. Salmon, broccoli and new potatoes is a staple in this house , and DD's home, but it's pretty boring...

Someone resurrected this thread and it's a long one. I don't remember if I ever responded to your query but won't go through the thread to find out. I rarely freeze rice but if I remember correctly, it freezes well. I heat things in the microwave and if I remember correctly, the consistency of the heated rice was good. If I heated in a pan, which means I'd have to add a little water, the rice might get too soft.
it's not been 'resurrected'' it been an ongoing thread.. for a long time

I regularly freeze brown rice. Just make it in the instant pot, let it cool completely, then freeze it in about one cup servings (plastic sandwich bags stacked inside a freezer ziplock). Defrost overnight in the fridge or add a little water and nuke it to defrost and warm up.

I regularly freeze brown rice. Just make it in the instant pot, let it cool completely, then freeze it in about one cup servings (plastic sandwich bags stacked inside a freezer ziplock). Defrost overnight in the fridge or add a little water and nuke it to defrost and warm up.
I'm always worried about reheating cooked rice, we're always being told it's a bad idea...

How do you do it ?... do you chill the cooked rice immediately then freeze?..we're always told never to let rice cool down slowly.... and lastly how long is it safe to freeze ?

I'm always worried about reheating cooked rice, we're always being told it's a bad idea...

How do you do it ?... do you chill the cooked rice immediately then freeze?..we're always told never to let rice cool down slowly.... and lastly how long is it safe to freeze ?
While it's still warm but no longer hot, I bag it up and freeze immediately. I've frozen rice for several months - never had any issue with taste, texture or safety.

Modern food safety rules give me a pain where I sit. I know numerous Asians and Mexicans who eat leftover rice, room temperature rice, cold rice, rice that's been out for a few hours, etc., and have never known any to get sick from it. Not saying one should be cavalier about food safety, but some of the latest rules are over the top.

By the same token, having learned how arbitrary (and unscientifically based) they are, I pay almost zero attention to expiration dates, instead I go by appearance, smell and taste, just as my mother and generations before her did.

Mind you, I don't eat meat or dairy.

Back