What's for dinner ( or lunch )

What is crack slaw?
A bag of coleslaw mix or a pound of cabbage sliced into thin ribbons, 1/4-1/2 pound hot turkey breakfast sausage crumbles, onion, garlic, and S&P to taste.,

For the sauce/slurry
3T Soy Sauce
1T Sherry
1T Toasted Sesame Oil
1t Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
1t Corn Starch

I brown the sausage in a cast-iron skillet, turn the heat down to low, add the vegetables cover, and steam for approx 10 minutes or until the cabbage has wilted.

Add the sauce and stir/cook until the mixture is coated and the corn starch is cooked.

I make the same thing using a bag of frozen riced cauliflower in place of the cabbage.

I've also made it with a variety or combination of meats and vegetables.

A bag of coleslaw mix or a pound of cabbage sliced into thin ribbons, 1/4-1/2 pound hot turkey breakfast sausage crumbles, onion, garlic, and S&P to taste.,

For the sauce/slurry
3T Soy Sauce
1T Sherry
1T Toasted Sesame Oil
1t Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
1t Corn Starch

I brown the sausage in a cast-iron skillet, turn the heat down to low, add the vegetables cover, and steam for approx 10 minutes or until the cabbage has wilted.

Add the sauce and stir/cook until the mixture is coated and the corn starch is cooked.

I make the same thing using a bag of frozen riced cauliflower in place of the cabbage.

I've also made it with a variety or combination of meats and vegetables.

I'm going to try that - but with vegan sausage. It sounds delicious!

What about the haggis and the fried clootie dumpling...lol?

Both are traditional Scottish foods
Haggis....

https://www.macsween.co.uk/what-is-haggis/

Clootie dumpling

Clootie-Dumpling-7313.jpg
...it can be served as a pudding with cream or custard.. or served as a savoury, sliced and fried

Today bell peppers and ground beef went on sale.
The deli usually have stuffed peppers but they are expensive. $4.00 each.
So I thought I'd make my own. I cut the recipe back because I only wanted one.
It turned out really nice.
A few tips. One. Get the peppers with an even bottom so they can stand up for baking.
Two. Boil the pepper after cleaning out the seeds to soften the skin.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236359/beef-and-rice-stuffed-bell-peppers/

pepper.jpg

This morning I made a small pot of Carpathian cabbage for today and tomorrow.

Carpathian Cabbage
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
½ cup chopped onion
1 small head of cabbage, coarsely
shredded
1 can tomato soup
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Brown meat in bacon drippings, breaking up meat as it cooks; push to one side of the pan. Stir in onion and sauté till soft. Stir in cabbage along with soup, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Heat to boiling; cover and simmer 25 minutes. 4-6 servings.

I swiped the recipe from another forum that I belong to and it is intended as a guide. I made mine with a cup of no sugar added marinara sauce from Aldi to eliminate many of the carbs in the tomato soup you could also use a small can of tomato paste. I cut back the ground beef to approx. half a pound.

This is a compromise for me to have a lazy low carb version of cabbage rolls.

Yesterday, my daughter brought all the fixings for Greek souvlaki for my hubby's birthday. She cooked the chicken/veg skewers in the oven and had pre-made Greek rice and lemon potatoes .. also Greek salad.

She loves to cook, and every year, he gets to choose what he wants her to make for his birthday dinner.

He was given a new voice recorder, 4 dozen bagels from Montreal, a string-of-pearls plant and decadent chocolates.

I think he enjoyed his day :)

What do you mean by a voice recorder? What does he use this for?

Happy birthday to your husband. It sounds like a great celebration. Please tell me there was cake. :cool:
One of those small voice recorders that we use for our grocery list. They're generally used by students to record lectures, but I think this one I'm posting is more basic than some, and isn't the one he was given.

voice recorder.JPG
Thank you .. there was definitely cake (chocolate, his favourite) :)

Back