What's for dinner ( or lunch )

I think it was supposedly invented by a chef at the Watergate Hotel back in the 70's but I really don't know.
Yes, it was.
I looked it up.

For those who have not lived in that area, the "Watergate Break In" of the Nixon era occurred in the Watergate Hotel in Washington DC.

You know, I used to use the large pearl tapioca, but now don't bother. Hub actually likes the regular better. I do whip the egg white separately sometimes and fold it into the hot tapioca to make a more "fluffy" version.

Love the dilly bread. Going to try just making it without the herbs to see if its a good bread. Its so light - that's what we love about it.

Do you have other favorites from the 60's and 70's?
This quiche recipe from the folks at French's is another 70s flashback recipe that I have to make once or twice a year.

https://www.food.com/recipe/onion-quiche-with-french-fried-onions-12503

1589532408742.jpeg

About the Watergate Salad, here in Canada we had a similar version of that called Ambrosia Salad using sour cream I think. Used to make it for company coming. Some of those old recipes were quite good.

Lunch, roast beef sandwich and dill pickle

Dinner, no idea yet, shopping trip to buy a whole chicken on sale, Beer Butt Chicken if it stops raining.

After discovering what it is I’m not so concerned about why it’s called Watergate salad but why it’s even called salad? 🙃

Pistachio pudding
Miniature marshmallows
I can pineapple with juices
Chopped Pecans
Cool whip

It’s a dessert ! 😅
Ambrosia salad ?
View attachment 104582
It's gotta have coconut in order to be Ambrosia.

I had mashed avocado on whole grain toast for lunch. Dinner will be the promised meatloaf sandwiches; I'm giving myself a day off of kitchen duty.
I picked up the stuff to make meatloaf and a baked cauliflower/spinach/bacon/cheese casserole tonight. Gonna be busy in the kitchen tonight. Of course, I had to pick the first day of the year to hit 90' out to fire up my oven. 🙄

I wanted a turnip to munch on to get away from the other stuff I've been eating, but they had none. Lizzie called me "Carb man," and when I went back and looked at what I ate the other day when it was all written out, I was not happy. I gotta get back to crudités to munch on.

I just checked and my grocery store has pistachio pudding... they even have a sugar free version. I'm going to get some in my next grocery order and whip up a Watergate salad; I'll see if it's as good as I remember. I was just thinking about a layered fruit salad my MIL used to make, with a layer of strawberries and bananas in strawberry jello, a layer of sour cream sprinkled with walnuts, and another layer of the strawberries and bananas in strawberry jello. It was actually quite tasty IIRC.

I picked up the stuff to make meatloaf and a baked cauliflower/spinach/bacon/cheese casserole tonight. Gonna be busy in the kitchen tonight. Of course, I had to pick the first day of the year to hit 90' out to fire up my oven. 🙄

I wanted a turnip to munch on to get away from the other stuff I've been eating, but they had none. Lizzie called me "Carb man," and when I went back and looked at what I ate the other day when it was all written out, I was not happy. I gotta get back to crudités to munch on.
Well all your labor will be worth it. :D I like to make creamed cauliflower but the casserole sounds yummy.

I have a countertop Breville oven that I use every single day. It bakes evenly and actually better than my gas ovens, and does not heat up the entire house. It was pricey but worth every penny, and when it finally dies I will buy another one. Of course, it has limited capacity so I can usually only bake one thing at a time.

Well all your labor will be worth it. :D I like to make creamed cauliflower but the casserole sounds yummy.

I have a countertop Breville oven that I use every single day. It bakes evenly and actually better than my gas ovens, and does not heat up the entire house. It was pricey but worth every penny, and when it finally dies I will buy another one. Of course, it has limited capacity so I can usually only bake one thing at a time.
Interesting.

They look like higher-quality toaster ovens. I use my cheap Black & Decker toaster oven a lot for baking and roasting. I only fire up my oven for those apple cobbler things or to broil the occasional lamb chops. I'll have to check out a Breville...I'm always up for a new kitchen gadget. And Amazon buyers seem to like them.

Exactly why I'm having cucumber and carrot sticks right now. It's too easy to fill up with carbs these days..

Interesting.

They look like higher-quality toaster ovens. I use my cheap Black & Decker toaster oven a lot for baking and roasting. I only fire up my oven for those apple cobbler things or to broil the occasional lamb chops. I'll have to check out a Breville...I'm always up for a new kitchen gadget. And Amazon buyers seem to like them.
I highly recommend the Breville; they heat evenly and are a far cry from a typical toaster oven. Mine has a pizza shelf and came with a stone; there is a slight extended area in the back of the oven to accommodate it. I use the oven almost exclusively since my gas ovens have never been properly calibrated so results are "iffy." I've owned the Breville for at least 5 years and use it daily.

I highly recommend the Breville; they heat evenly and are a far cry from a typical toaster oven. Mine has a pizza shelf and came with a stone; there is a slight extended area in the back of the oven to accommodate it. I use the oven almost exclusively since my gas ovens have never been properly calibrated so results are "iffy."
We love our Breville toaster oven, and do all our baking in it. One of the best choices we've ever made.

I highly recommend the Breville; they heat evenly and are a far cry from a typical toaster oven. Mine has a pizza shelf and came with a stone; there is a slight extended area in the back of the oven to accommodate it. I use the oven almost exclusively since my gas ovens have never been properly calibrated so results are "iffy." I've owned the Breville for at least 5 years and use it daily.
Ooohhhh....I like it coming with a stone. I've looked for one for my cheap toaster oven but can't find the right dimensions/quality. I have one for my gas oven that I use for pizzas and breads, would love one for my toaster oven.

So did you get the one that's specific for pizzas? Those have that little extension so a pizza can fit rather than enlarging the entire enclosure.

Several years ago I built an appliance stand that sits next to my fridge. I made the shelves out of wood slats and left gaps in the middle for ventilation. Trash can on the bottom, then microwave and toaster oven at usable heights, with my wok displayed on the top. I already measured...the largest Breville will fit in the toaster oven spot I've got. I'm so excited, I'm gonna get a new kitchen gadget!!!

About the Watergate Salad, here in Canada we had a similar version of that called Ambrosia Salad using sour cream I think. Used to make it for company coming. Some of those old recipes were quite good.

Lunch, roast beef sandwich and dill pickle

Dinner, no idea yet, shopping trip to buy a whole chicken on sale, Beer Butt Chicken if it stops raining.
Ambroisa was popular here too, years ago. I liked the one with Mandarin orange sections and not too many marshmallows.

Breville was made in Australia, is it still? It's top of the line in practically everything. Very expensive, too.
Looks like it still is. The accent of the woman pitching it in the video confirms a "Down Under" point of origin.

Yeh, it's way more than my Black & Decker. But I use mine as an oven way more than I use my actual oven. I've put a thermometer in it to test the temperature settings and the temps have a very wide range of fluctuation. I keep a cross reference chart on my fridge for it. It still cooks my stuff, but...

I've never heard of Breville before. When I've looked at other toaster ovens above the bottom end, people don't seem to be all that pleased with them.

Back