When the Diaper Pin reined supreme...

I diapered my youngest brother in the 60’s. When I had children I also used the cloth diapers on both my daughters. I’m always amazed how some memories are just like yesterday and others are vague. It was 30+ years ago but feels like yesterday, 6 to 8 diapers a day, 50+ some diapers, a week. Some required soaking in the commode. Plastic pants, pink, blue & white safety pins. Pungent Ammonia diaper pails. Full Washer loads lots of bleach. I used a dryer and the diapers were, so white soft & fluffy. It seems I spent as much time folding them as I did changing them. Carrying extra Diapers for a day out, plastic bread bags for spoiled diapers & wash cloths. At least 2 extra change of clothing. Memories....
Love the memories, Rose.

Nothing like learning and practicing on baby siblings before embarking upon motherhood.

I'm with you on some memories still feeling fresh and recent, with others escaping us, that is until someone mentions something close or related to, then bingo, the bells and whistles go off.

It's been 24 years for me since the days of four-corner pants in our house, but like yourself, I remember the drill like yesterday, and yes, plastic bread bags were the saving-grace when it came to outings, visits, and travel.

Speaking of plastic bread bags, the vinyl diaper bag was like our 7th child, because it went everywhere we went (LOL), and back in the day, baby bottoms were domed and/or cut more full to accommodate old-fashioned bulky cloth diapers, so we didn't have to roll up our sleeves when it came to stuffing a double-diapered butt into a pair of pyjama bottoms or tights.

As for folding, I loved folding diapers. Folding diapers was an evening affair for me, sitting in the living room folding and stacking diapers while watching TV.

Your post brought back so many warm memories for me. :)

I used cloth diapers with all four of my kids(born between 1968-1979)Disposables were awful when I had my first-no elastic or tapes-and not much improved 5 years later with my second. But the difference was,I discovered diaper service. No diapers to wash and no rashes EVER! When #3 came along in another 5 years,disposables had come a long way,so I decided to try them. Too much perfume in them though and caused a rash,so back to diaper service it was. Didn`t even bother to try disposables with my son a year and a half later.

I so wish my oldest was home-she took a trip to Oregon to help a friend-but she has her baby book from the 60s,that also gave baby-rearing advice-in this case,how to properly wash diapers.This was a British book-I don`t think any mother in this country did what this author advised. It advised you to soak the diapers in several changes of hot water,then wash in,I think,it was 6 different changes of hot,soapy water.Then rinse in can`t remember how many changes of hot water.It just went on and on,finishing up with boiling actively for 30 minutes by the clock! We still laugh about this a lot!

I changed one diaper in my life. It was my niece and I adored her but when the diaper came off I learned what love was all about...... but I made sure someone else was available next time. 🤧

Though I didn’t read all 8 pages, one of the things I learned was to use Man-Size Kleenex as a diaper liner for the second child. Saved some work.

The quality of disposables & the cost made them prohibitive unless travelling.

After reading and responding to the topic - Mom cries in viral video when she can't find diapers to buy, I couldn't help but feel a topic on traditional cloth diapers was in order, and unlike so many parenting topics that exclude those without children, I've tailored this conversation as a generic one, where everyone, regardless of whether you have children or not, can voice their opinion and experience related to, so come on all you moms, grandmas, dads, and babysitters of the past, come share what you remember about the old days of cloth diapers, safety pins, and rubber pants.

Pin-pricks galore, the stinking diaper pails so strong with ammonia, the odour would burn at your nose and eyes when you lifted the lid to drop a diaper inside, and then there were the hot, greenhouse rubber pants. Those plasticy-rusting panties with stretchy elastics... off and on at every diaper-change, making for the cutest little balloon baby bottoms ever. When weather was hot and tiny little legs and feet were sweaty, trying to get all the piggy's in through the elasticized leg holes of rubber pants could prove to be a challenge at times, but all was remedied with a little dusting of baby powder applied to baby's feet, with a hint sprinkled inside the rubber pants for good measure.

Diapers on the line, diapers in the washing machine, diapers in the pail, diapers in the laundry basket waiting to be folded. When baby filled their pants, off to the bathroom we'd go with diapers in-hand, and assuming a safe position in relation to the toilet, and while holding onto diapers with an extra-firm grip, toilet flush lever was depressed, and poopy diapers were dunked up and down in the swirling toilet water until rinsed, followed by a quick hand-wring, and into the plastic diaper pail the didies would go.

My poor chapped hands, red and irritated around the clock. No amount of hand lotion cured the soreness, and then there were those unexpected moments, like when you'd open the dresser drawer to fetch a clean pair of rubber pants at change-time, only to realize that all of the rubber pants were in the diaper pail or hanging on the line.

Identifying a seasoned cloth diaper veteran was easy, for diaper pins were held between pursed lips when diapering, and when pants were changed, baby was off and running, and with a duck-like waddle, the result of bulky double diapers, all that could be heard was the unmistakable plastic beat of rubber pants rustling with baby's every step, and when baby got into something they knew better than to get into, a few light swats with the flat of ones hand on their rubber-panted bottom was all that was needed, for those rubber baby pants emitted the loudest plastic-popping sound ever, making the spanking sound far more serious than it was.

Ah, yes, those were the days.
Oh, yes! I remember all of that! We had no washing machine and I washed all my little girl's clothes by hand. My in-laws took pity on us and provided a diaper service for one year. You still had all the rest to contend with but I felt truly grateful.

I used cloth diapers with all four of my kids(born between 1968-1979)Disposables were awful when I had my first-no elastic or tapes-and not much improved 5 years later with my second. But the difference was,I discovered diaper service. No diapers to wash and no rashes EVER! When #3 came along in another 5 years,disposables had come a long way,so I decided to try them. Too much perfume in them though and caused a rash,so back to diaper service it was. Didn`t even bother to try disposables with my son a year and a half later.
I sometimes wish I had tried diaper service out, just for the sake of saying that I did, or even opting for diaper service for the first month or two after each of my kids were born, just to relieve a little of the turmoil that often surrounds introducing a new baby into the home. Those first early days can be so tiring.

Gosh, disposables... I never gave them so much as a thought when I was having babies. So old-fashioned and staunch I was about diapering the traditional way using cloth and pins, but I do have memories of those early disposables which were terrible. No elastic-fit, the pleats would pull-out, the padding would shift, bunch, and sag, the tapes seldom stayed fastened (I remember using pins), and they leaked something awful.

As far as diaper rash went, my kids occasionally got it... and diarrhea seemed to bring it on the worst.

I so wish my oldest was home-she took a trip to Oregon to help a friend-but she has her baby book from the 60s,that also gave baby-rearing advice-in this case,how to properly wash diapers.This was a British book-I don`t think any mother in this country did what this author advised. It advised you to soak the diapers in several changes of hot water,then wash in,I think,it was 6 different changes of hot,soapy water.Then rinse in can`t remember how many changes of hot water.It just went on and on,finishing up with boiling actively for 30 minutes by the clock! We still laugh about this a lot!
OMG, that's crazy! LOL!

The diaper-washing method you speak of tires me out just reading about it. :) I can't imagine applying such a routine. As it was, between diapers, bottles, crying, feedings, burping, and bathing, I would have given up on using cloth diapers had I been resigned to washing diapers that way.

One thing I did find that worked really well when washing diapers, was adding a cup of regular household vinegar to the final wash cycle. Diapers came out softer and more absorbent, and the vinegar helped balance the pH level in the diapers, equating to less rashes/chafing/irritation.

Always laundered diapers in the hottest water available, and I always used bleach.

Though I didn’t read all 8 pages, one of the things I learned was to use Man-Size Kleenex as a diaper liner for the second child. Saved some work.

The quality of disposables & the cost made them prohibitive unless travelling.
I used actual diaper liners with each of my kids for a few weeks after they were born, and what a blessing they were.

If you go to page 4, I posted a picture of a leftover box of diaper liners from the baby days in our home.

Believe it or not, those disposable diaper liners could stand up to being run through a washing machine cycle and reused. I never did it purposely, but do recall a few making it past my watchful eyes on diaper-wash day, and they emerged good as new, ready for use again when dry.

Oh, yes! I remember all of that! We had no washing machine and I washed all my little girl's clothes by hand. My in-laws took pity on us and provided a diaper service for one year. You still had all the rest to contend with but I felt truly grateful.
All of you moms that dealt with cloth diapers with no washing machine are the true troopers out of all of us! :)

I used actual diaper liners with each of my kids for a few weeks after they were born, and what a blessing they were.

If you go to page 4, I posted a picture of a leftover box of diaper liners from the baby days in our home.

Believe it or not, those disposable diaper liners could stand up to being run through a washing machine cycle and reused. I never did it purposely, but do recall a few making it past my watchful eyes on diaper-wash day, and they emerged good as new, ready for use again when dry.
The man-size Kleenex were much cheaper than the liners. Unfortunately, I too would miss taking some out prior to doing the laundry. Some washed up in one piece, others in to a million. What a mess.

The man-size Kleenex were much cheaper than the liners. Unfortunately, I too would miss taking some out prior to doing the laundry. Some washed up in one piece, others in to a million. What a mess.
I never would have expected the Kleenex to hold up.

I tried using liners when my kids were older, but with all of the movement... toddling, kicking, bending, crawling, the liners would just ball-up and end up in a wad between their legs.

Yes, I can only imagine the mess with a large size Kleenex going through the wash. I've actually had it happen before with regular Kleenex, and absolutely everything get's covered.

My son was born in 1968. I was given a pack of Pampers at the hospital and saved them until the first time my in-laws babysat, thinking it would be easier for them. Well by the time they changed him the Pamper had given him a terrible rash which they thought he had, had all along and when they returned my baby the next day they threatened to take custody of him if I didn't take better care of him. :oops:

I went right back to washing his cloth diapers in the tub and hanging them on the line so there was no more rash and although my in-laws are very nice people -- I never quite forgot all that.

My son was born in 1968. I was given a pack of Pampers at the hospital and saved them until the first time my in-laws babysat, thinking it would be easier for them. Well by the time they changed him the Pamper had given him a terrible rash which they thought he had, had all along and when they returned my baby the next day they threatened to take custody of him if I didn't take better care of him. :oops:

I went right back to washing his cloth diapers in the tub and hanging them on the line so there was no more rash and although my in-laws are very nice people -- I never quite forgot all that.
Boy, your in-laws were no-nonsense.

One of my best friends used Pampers on her first two kids (early to mid 80's), and they always had red irritated bottoms and diaper rash. We used to babysit for one another, and my friend used to comment (all the time) as to how healthy my kids bottoms were.

Fast-forward to 1986, my friend gave birth to her third child, and she went straight to using cloth diapers. At the time, her middle child was still in diapers, and I recall her disbelief as to how fast her toddlers rash problems disappeared.

Even as fastidious as I was when it came to laundering diapers, diaper rash still occasionally made it's rounds in our home, though rare. Still, I'm convinced those old-fashioned rubber pants didn't do babies bottoms any favours in the rash department, and I was bad for using them all the time.

Yes Marg I used those Terry towelling nappies......I had my sons in 1975 and 1977......Hated the messy ones, I’m afraid to say ,I used to throw away the really bad ones yuk......🥴😱🥺

Yes Marg I used those Terry towelling nappies......I had my sons in 1975 and 1977......Hated the messy ones, I’m afraid to say ,I used to throw away the really bad ones yuk......🥴😱🥺
OMG, Charry, this is my laugh of the day! :giggle:

How I remember the really bad ones. The stained rubber panties... the extended soaking required in the toilet before rinsing... standing said kid up in the bathtub to unpin and drop diapers... having to bath said kid from the waist-down before being able to re-diaper them... oh my word.

Maybe I was doing it all wrong and should have tossed out a few, too! LOL!

tenor.gif

Back