When the virus dies, what kind of world will be left, after the onslought?

Rich corporations won't like paying off shore salaries to domestic workers. They won't like kicking in for medical insurance like they don't have to do for off shore workers. šŸ˜Ÿ

You have a point, RadishRose. It's possible that some (all?) things may cost more, but that's the cost of doing business properly. Fair is fair. Assuming that it will be fair.

I learned about the Spanish flu in school, but didnā€™t think much about it. Polio, parents instilled a fear of polio in me, never forgot. Depends on where you were, I suppose. Parents are more protective these days. Children will remember their parents fear. The youngest will forget. IMO.

Oh the Great Depression, always remembered it. It effected my family a great deal.

I remember the fear of polio as well. One of my friends got it. I was glad when the polio vaccines came out.

The Great Depression affected my family a great deal as well, and I well remember my mother's mantra, "NEVER waste food."

It all depends on when/if a vaccine is developed to treat this virus. Until then, there will be varying levels of "isolation" and closed stores, etc. Even if this virus slows down substantially in coming weeks...as some "experts" predict...there will still be a great deal of reluctance, by many, to engage in normal activity. Unemployment numbers will remain high, and the economy will remain stagnant.

Then, if a vaccine is developed, there will be questions about its effectiveness....most other vaccines are far from 100% effective....and there may be "side effects" from whatever drug is developed. If the vaccine can be manufactured in huge quantities, there will be long lines at the doctors offices and hospitals as people try to get treated.

"Normal"??? perhaps in another year, or two. Then, as this issue is pushed to the back of most people's minds, most will return to their routines.

I remember standing in long lines to get the polio vaccine when it first came out. We got the shots first, and then, when it came out, the one on the sugar cubes.

Hi Everybody: I guess it depends...I hope this virus is gone before summer...be nice to be able to do stuff again, we all can start having more fun! Just living my life the best I can like everyone and trying to survive. Maybe folks will come up with better ways of living for everyone so these diseases will not happen or be less of. I know we humans have overcome a lot. I think this may produce new and better ways of living? Who knows. Lots of love, and Reiki hugs to ya all! We are all in this together. It's also for all of us to keep having love and compassion. :love: stocking up on TP and other things, sheesh!

I very seriously doubt that it gone before summer. In fact, I believe it will be endemic, like measles, just waiting to strike again when people get complacent.

Check us out-did you have any knowledge of the Spanish Flu
of 1918; I certainly didn't.

Polio did not remain a scare word to us that were young.
It was to our parent's, their gone now.

The Depression that lasted a decade 1929-38?
I do, only because it explained why my parent's were so 'tight,
tight, tight.'
We always had stockpile of essentials, flour, cornmeal and those damn pinto beans.

juju says we will forget: only those of us that lived through it
will remember.
We will remember, and then forget because
human beings cannot retain fear.
Kids will remember the inconveniences, no more
My folks were born in 1913 and 1915. They never forgot. They drummed their lessons into me. Frugal to a fault.

I've heard projections that unemployment may reach 34% in the U.S. following the Coronavirus as many simply will not have jobs or businesses that survived to return to. Travel and service professions will be especially hard hit. This will rival if not exceed the American Great Depression of the 1930's, and may usher in a time of scarcity, deprivation, and hardship for many...

Watching Sci-Fi: Star Trek Deep Space 9. Season 3, Episode 11 (different catalyst, perhaps similar outcome): Really hope it doesn't come to this...

STDS9 S3_E11 U.S.A.jpg

I've heard projections that unemployment may reach 34% in the U.S. following the Coronavirus as many simply will not have jobs or businesses that survived to return to. Travel and service professions will be especially hard hit. This will rival if not exceed the American Great Depression of the 1930's, and may usher in a time of scarcity, deprivation, and hardship for many...
Surely it will be better than the last plague of the century...the Spanish Flu. My mom's grandma told her she kept taking the kids back from the doctor as they lived longer when she cared for them. She had 10 kids and lost 4 or 5 to the plague. Eventually life returned to some kind of normal so guessing that is what will happen after this plague weakens.

I agree! I for sure think the cruise ship industry is done.

I don't think hardly anyone foresaw how long this virus would last when this thread was started. Everyone, practically, now has covid fatigue, the economy is bad, some of us living in terror of catching it because they have many preexisting conditions. People have made their wills out, nearly 260,000 US deaths, some real craziness going on with some who refuse to wear masks or believe how bad the virus can be.

Who knows when it will be contained? I'm hoping the vaccine makers will do well with making a real viable vaccine.

All I know now is that people have better hygiene now. For the future, I really don't know for sure...but hopefully things will get much better than they are now, in many ways.

Think after the virus is in our rear view mirror, many more "employees" will be opting to work at home and ditch the long commutes, which hopefully would help free up some drive time traffic....if you have a business that can be worked from home you will have ditched your rented office which also saves money. Son closed their office and now saves 10 grand a month.

Some habits won't linger of course, but the ones found more time saving, convenient and cost saving are liable to be enough to change daily lives for an ongoing length of time, like ordering food and more goods by mail. Also think travel will kick in big time...many do miss that change of scenery.

I think it will take no time at all for us to return to "normal." The year 2020 will go down in history as one of the worst; we'll be glad it is over, and will be happy to forget it as much as possible.

Most of us, that is. For those who have lost loved ones, the world will never be the same. It will feel like surviving a war.

I think it will take no time at all for us to return to "normal." The year 2020 will go down in history as one of the worst; we'll be glad it is over, and will be happy to forget it as much as possible.

Most of us, that is. For those who have lost loved ones, the world will never be the same. It will feel like surviving a war.
...I agree, but those who have lost their jobs , and their businesses small and large will never recover.. at least not in this small country

One definite change for me is that I no longer bring groceries home and stick them in the fridge and pantry. Nasty, nasty and nasty! I don't find it a burden to sanitize them as soon as I get home.

Last edited:
The more the world changes; the more it will stay the same: drunks will still keep drinking booze, young people will still take up smoking, women unfortunately will still be abused by abusive men, the rich will stay rich, the poor will stay poor. Gamblers will continue gambling & Amazon will keep getting richer & richer. I think the big issues in the future will be climate change & over population. We will always have wars where innocent women & children get slaughtered. Praying for world peace is a total waste of time. As the world's population increases, there are more & more demands on decreasing resources. The US will start looking to Canada for it's water supply. Crime in the cities will increase as our population grows. More traffic accidents, more illegal drugs being used. I am basing this rather grim prediction on history. There have always been wars so why should they stop in 2021? Technology will increase more and more with robots taking over most menial jobs that we do today. This paints a rather grim forecast for future employment. Your privacy will be gone as government/police surveillance will be all over if it's not here now. I wish I could see the world with rose-coloured glasses but I can't. Maybe there are advantages to being a senior because "we ain't gonna be around that long."

The more the world changes; the more it will stay the same: drunks will still keep drinking booze, young people will still take up smoking, women unfortunately will still be abused by abusive men, the rich will stay rich, the poor will stay poor. Gamblers will continue gambling & Amazon will keep getting richer & richer. I think the big issues in the future will be climate change & over population. We will always have wars where innocent women & children get slaughtered. Praying for world peace is a total waste of time. As the world's population increases, there are more & more demands on decreasing resources. The US will start looking to Canada for it's water supply. Crime in the cities will increase as our population grows. More traffic accidents, more illegal drugs being used. I am basing this rather grim prediction on history. There have always been wars so why should they stop in 2021? Technology will increase more and more with robots taking over most menial jobs that we do today. This paints a rather grim forecast for future employment. Your privacy will be gone as government/police surveillance will be all over if it's not here now. I wish I could see the world with rose-coloured glasses but I can't. Maybe there are advantages to being a senior because "we ain't gonna be around that long."
if this virus keeps going at the speed it is and taking a bunch of folks with it we won't have to worry about overpopulation.

Back