When to stop buying presents for grandchildren

I have 3 grandchildren, my son's 2 boys are 24 and 23. They both are hard workers and both have girlfriends. I buy them gifts and their girlfriends too. My daughter's little girl just turned 10yrs old and I love buying things for her. They are all grateful and call to check on me and my hubby all the time. It makes me really happy to buy gifts for them.

I have 3 grandchildren, my son's 2 boys are 24 and 23. They both are hard workers and both have girlfriends. I buy them gifts and their girlfriends too. My daughter's little girl just turned 10yrs old and I love buying things for her. They are all grateful and call to check on me and my hubby all the time. It makes me really happy to buy gifts for them.
Our grandkids are like that too...very loving and good to us. If we couldn’t do it, it wouldn’t bother them a bit

We don't have any grandchildren, but our combined "kids" ages are 51, 49, 45, and 44. These "kids" have never grown up and still expect gifts from us. I usually put $100/each in a card and that's it. This year, we're not getting together, especially since the 51 year old had tested positive for Covid from his job and he went back to work without another test. Don't want to be around any of them this year.

I've decided to quit the "gift giving". We're 80 and 74 and I don't think it's necessary and we don't want anything from them, either. We buy what we want, when we want. If that makes me a Scrooge, so be it. We can use that money more than they can.

My grandchildren are now 21 and 20 years old.

Both of them now earn far more from their job/part time job than I receive in aged pension.

I have only once received one combined present from them, and that was when I turned 70, after some nagging from their parents.

As they have became adults, ie able to vote, marry, drive motor vehicles and everything else at age 18, should I still send them birthday and Christmas presents?

I have done so up until now, but I am questioning if I should continue.

At Christmas time, I sent them each a card and some lottery tickets/scratchie type things. I didn't even receive a phone call from them - in fact I never have - no matter what I have sent over the years. They seemed to expect that I should send them the present, and also phone them on the morning of their birthday.

We do live a fair distance from each other - maybe a five hour drive. They've never come to visit me by themselves, only while accompanied by their parents, even though they've passed through my town on their way on holidays.

Is it time for me to just say enough is enough?
Yes, it is.

I still buy / or give $ for the grandchildren aged 15 and 25 both the girls always thank us with a hug and a peck on the cheek ,however the younger girl only got a small amount of money this year because she asked for a new quilt and mattress underlay to go with her new bed
the Quilt and the underlay were close to $500

Send a card and thats it!! All of mine love Amazon and they get $50.00 Amazon cards for Christmas. I always get a call from them to thank me and I get a present from them. When I stop getting a "thank you" I will stop getting them cards.

Later today I’ll send the grandkids a group text message wishing them a Merry Christmas. Since it’s a different time zone, it’s hard to co-ordinate talking. If they’re available, they’ll join it. They’ve already received a financial gift. It’s not huge but they appreciate it. As long as one is getting it, they’ll all get it. They were texting amongst themselves and thanking me. I was hoping to get back to sleep at 5 a.m.

My grandchildren are 18, 21 & 22. I have never received a thankyou from them. When they were small, their parents thanked me. Now they are older, no one says thanks. I have decided this year I will send them each a nice card with a note telling them I have sent the amount I usually sent/spent on them to a children's charity. I know that gift will be appreciated.

My grandchildren are 18, 21 & 22. I have never received a thankyou from them. When they were small, their parents thanked me. Now they are older, no one says thanks. I have decided this year I will send them each a nice card with a note telling them I have sent the amount I usually sent/spent on them to a children's charity. I know that gift will be appreciated.
Good on you!

This generation has a whole lot of learning to do when it comes to respect.

Back