When you were in school was your first name popular?

I grew up in the time of Linda's. Debbies and Kathy's--there were many of all of these in the hallways.
Apparently there was an explosion of the name Linda in the US..in 1947.. when almost 6% of all girls were named that

Debbie was in the top 20 most popular names in the USA between 1950 - 1970

Kathy has been used in the USA since 1910... but in 1958 it's usage went up by 120%

Last edited:
My name isn’t rare but there were never many with it.And I can only recall teaching two kids with it.I was named after a saint.
i seemed to teach a load of Sarahs and Sara’s -but don’t recall going to school with one.

Apparently there was an explosion of the name Linda in the US..in 1947.. when almost 6% of all girls were named that

Debbie was in the top 20 most popular names in the USA between 1950 - 1970

Kathy has been used in the USA since 1910... but in 1958 it's usage went up by 120%
I went to school with a lot of girls whose names were spelling variations of
Debbie, Kathy, Linda, Joan, Joanne, Anne, Mary, Carol, Patricia, Janet, Jean, Elizabeth, Nancy, Christine, Susan, Karen and Jane

Popular boys names included
Steven, Michael, James, Richard, William, Mark, Paul, Charles, John, Russell, David, Christopher, Joseph, Robert, Dennis and Gary

I'd say 80% of the kids were named some variation of the above list.

I went to school with a lot of girls whose names were spelling variations of
Debbie, Kathy, Linda, Joan, Joanne, Anne, Mary, Carol, Patricia, Janet, Jean, Elizabeth, Nancy, Christine, Susan, Karen and Jane

Popular boys names included
Steven, Michael, James, Richard, William, Mark, Paul, Charles, John, Russell, David, Christopher, Joseph, Robert, Dennis and Gary

I'd say 80% of the kids were named some variation of the above list.
Not one of those girls' names is mine... or any of my sisters...:D

Just one of the boys' names in your list belongs to one of my brothers...

My first name was Helen, which I never liked. Good thing because nobody called me that but they teachers.My family and friends called me by a nickname. There was only one girl in my grammar school class (that I know of anyway) with that name and she was the smartest girl in our class. We had a huge high school graduation class, I'm talking hundreds, and I don't remember seeing anyone else with the name Helen in our yearbook.

My first name was Helen, which I never liked. Good thing because nobody called me that but they teachers.My family and friends called me by a nickname. There was only one girl in my grammar school class (that I know of anyway) with that name and she was the smartest girl in our class. We had a huge high school graduation class, I'm talking hundreds, and I don't remember seeing anyone else with the name Helen in our yearbook.
We had a Helen in our class.. and a couple more in my year...

Back