Where to go meet people?

Fuzzybuddy: I know what you're going through. It's the same with me. Unfortunatly, There is NOTHING near me to meet people. My two kids live thousands of miles away, and I really don't like the "friends" I've made! A few fat,old women! (They just gossip and complain) During the pandemic, wish I had an extraordinary man around my age to communicate with online.(privately) I'm COMPLETELY ALONE! Haven't even heard a man's voice for months!
Guess I'll just tough it out! If you hear of a good site, let me know! (Don't trust those sites) Guess I DO NEED some interaction!
My name is James. I ubsed to live in a little town called Central just outside of Silver City New Mexico

Fuzzybuddy: I know what you're going through. It's the same with me. Unfortunatly, There is NOTHING near me to meet people. My two kids live thousands of miles away, and I really don't like the "friends" I've made! A few fat,old women! (They just gossip and complain) During the pandemic, wish I had an extraordinary man around my age to communicate with online.(privately) I'm COMPLETELY ALONE! Haven't even heard a man's voice for months!
Guess I'll just tough it out! If you hear of a good site, let me know! (Don't trust those sites) Guess I DO NEED some interaction!
I will visit with on skype I dont necessarluly care what you look like--pretty, ugly, etc?- I do care that your not a kid giraffe sinister chain saw killer etc....ole fat guy in kansas...and bald...otherwise instact...

There's an attractive Christian church near me and I've visited there twice and they are friendly but not extreme or pushy. I'm thinking about attending one of the Bible Classes in order to meet people more completely and perhaps make a close friend. I've been fairly happy alone but at this age it's good to have someone who checks on your periodically and might be willing to help in an emergency.

There's an attractive Christian church near me and I've visited there twice and they are friendly but not extreme or pushy. I'm thinking about attending one of the Bible Classes in order to meet people more completely and perhaps make a close friend. I've been fairly happy alone but at this age it's good to have someone who checks on your periodically and might be willing to help in an emergency.
I found such a group when I moved to the middle of Virginia 10 years ago. Here in the country, some small poor churches share a pastor, so I'm part of a 3 church congregation who has the same pastor and who helps each other out.

I, too, live alone. A few of us stay in touch during the week.

I'm not trying to meet anyone atm with this virus going around--it's far too contagious--even my Governor got it now. I'm going to wait for a vaccine to come out and after I get it then I'll go out to my local restaurant/lounge.

I, too, have tried to find some social outlet, but since I'm pretty slow and lack a fun and positive personality it's hard to find places for uncool folks 😂😂😂 I love good conversation, not small talk. A place to go hang out a couple hours would be great. What are people thinking? Maybe we need to post signs inviting neighbors of a certain age to come to our house to just hang out! Don't know if I'd have the courage to do that but it's a wonderful idea if I do say so. 😋😋 . Where are you, Manate? Come on over! 😍
That may really be a viable option after this virus subsides. If you even know a neighbor or two you can get the word out that you might want to get together for a barbeque pot luck, board games or card games or some backyard games like what we call "cornhole" in the Carolinas. Also check to see if you have an app called "Nextdoor " for your neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods. You can post there to maybe start a book club or a progressive dinner or some other activities. Our neighborhood started a Bunco group and a poker group. Sometimes you have to get the ball rolling yourself😁

My family lives in another state. When you retire, it's surprising how many of your friends are work related, and they tend to fall away. Plus I'm disabled, I can't walk far at all. They do have Seniors programs here. They provide a nice meal and bingo. They are great programs, they are way to early for my meds to kick in. I don't need a meal, and hate bingo. I'm a vet, and I'm 71. A lot of those vet posts are closing as we vets pass on. The groups on MeetUp are 'strange'. I live in a community of 1.5 acre plots, and my neighbors work. So I don't know where to go to meet people.
It is too bad you are not an early bird like so many seniors. I have found in several communities that old men often meet at some convenient fast food place or comfortable restaurant and sit around and talk about a wide variety of subjects; maybe eat a bite of breakfast; and drink coffee.
All these informal groups I know about usually meet very early, like 5:00, to around 7:00. All I know about welcome any all old timers.

I think that until we get a grip on this virus, in most places it is extremely difficult to meet new people and create new friendships. everything is closed around here -- for instance, RB-TX's idea is good, except there isn't anywhere you can sit down and eat/drink coffee or whatever indoors, and even outdoors you have to stay at least 6 feet apart and people are very reluctant to even sit that close unless you share a home. Everywhere, even churches, are under very strict restrictions about how many may come n and how far apart you must sit.

It sure puts a crimp in a person's social life. My social interaction right now is pretty much limited to hollering pleasantries at my neighbors.

You know I was just thinking yesterday how boring my days are. I live alone, never married, no family in the area. Less contact with friends after we all retired. Sometimes I don't leave the house for days at a time. One idea I thought about that would bring a little structure to my day was to join a gym. My health insurance offers free membership at several local gyms and they have exercise classes for older folks called Silver Sneakers. Might be a way to meet people of a similar age and, perhaps, get involved in a group afterwards for coffee, smoothies, lunch, etc.
I found that to be great! I too have Silver Sneakers and joined a gym and loved the association with many other seniors. Loved it. Plus, they had birthdays,, holidays goodies and you are exercising.

check out the local senior centers and the public library, these places have events you can attend. our public library even offers free computer classes. American legion is a great idea... . God bless you for your service!

There is no fountain of youth, your elder years were preordained with just a touch of youth to set you free. Seek what you will to fill your cup with happiness for it is already within you.

GOD Bless

My family lives in another state. When you retire, it's surprising how many of your friends are work related, and they tend to fall away. Plus I'm disabled, I can't walk far at all. They do have Seniors programs here. They provide a nice meal and bingo. They are great programs, they are way to early for my meds to kick in. I don't need a meal, and hate bingo. I'm a vet, and I'm 71. A lot of those vet posts are closing as we vets pass on. The groups on MeetUp are 'strange'. I live in a community of 1.5 acre plots, and my neighbors work. So I don't know where to go to meet people.
I am a loner and an introvert. Always have been but more so in my older years. A couple of years ago I moved to a rural area where, like you, my neighbors all have at least a couple of acres around them. And the folks here (a lot of retired but also young working families) keep to themselves. For a long time I felt like I should take advantage of the meals and bingo at the community center, just to try and keep myself socialized on some level. But of course COVID has shut all that down. My little community has its own Facebook page, and I have made some connections that way....by offering pet sitting services. It gets me out and about but doesn't put pressure on me to be a social creature. My point is......perhaps you are content alone? Nothing wrong with that. If you feel you would like to be looked in on now and then, most counties offer a free outreach program for seniors and the disabled.

In between my two (2) count them Two failed marriages I tried the internet dating sites, the main reason I bailed on that was more then half of the women were posting pictures of themselves when they were in their 30's and 40's (I was 52) but I guess they had no pictures of themselves like in the last 5 or 10 years so I started requesting that they'd take a picture of themselves holding a newspaper with the date on it. ( I know ladies I deserve a rolling pin upside my noggin for my paranoid sense of mistrust) Well Photoshop turned that around on me too. I also found out some were actually wanted by the police, married (Honey your ring shadow is a little obvious) mentally unsound, sneak thieves, etc, etc, etc. I loved the ones who demanded I send them an E-copy of my drivers license so they could find out everything about me by some fly by night internet background check service but when I asked them to reciprocate 99% of them said absolutely not and why I dare ask? Well because you could be a serial killer, etc, etc, etc. what I learned the hard way is to have absolutely no relationship with co-workers, obviously married (the ring shadow is an obvious clue) anybody within sight of my abode, any one who would't attend my church and 1 or 2 other things that were important to me. Well I pretty much forgot what I actually intended to post here was a laundry list of places to meet people you feel comfortable with. Anyway if anybody is wondering wants to know why I write so much babble on here is because I have very little to say. Anyway I'll be back with the list. Maybe I should be a writer. Ya think.

Last edited:

Back