WHO advice and updates on Coronavirus website

Los Angeles and the entire west coast has a big problem with homelessness. It's a perfect storm of terrible situations coming together.
  • High rents
  • Untreated addictions and/or mental illness
  • Young people who had little traction in life to start with, then went into the military for four years in hopes of figuring it out. They emerge a few later with zero marketable skills or direction, but the sad capper of PTSD added to their list of woes.
  • Federal court decisions that tie the hands of police and politicians every step of the way
Add relatively mild weather that's survivable in tents year-round, enough money to live (welfare, food stamps, recyclables, theft, whatever), plus a somewhat tolerant population, and you've got a disaster.

It's terribly sad and enormously frustrating.
That's a very sobering and frightening thought...good point, well made...

I emailed the CDC but, they don't know enough about it yet. One other website said it can live up to 9 days on a surface and that if you're quarantined it could be for 24 days. So, if we don't have groceries stocked up are we supposed to starve during quarantine? Or do you think supermarkets would work with someone on making sure they get what they need and letting them pay later?
The supermarkets will be flooded with delivery emails avoiding having to go to the stores.

Well, I don't mean this to sound cold or hateful, but America never should've turned to other countries for everything we buy. They should've found a way to keep all that commerce right here in the USA. Then they wouldn't be dealing with this at such a catastrophic level.
But then many large companies would not have been able to profit on the incredibly cheap labor forces in other countries thereby creating some immensely wealthy Americans.

One thing among others is possible when all the dust has settled. That one thing is China might be reduced to half what it is as an economic power in the world. The down side of that is many parts of the world depend on China for goods covering a wide spectrum. One other thought is the bottom line on who gets the food and shelter in crisis situations is the militaries & law enforcement and health service personnel are first and the populations are somewhere behind. I strongly believe it will not come to that but that is the way things work.

One thing among others is possible when all the dust has settled. That one thing is China might be reduced to half what it is as an economic power in the world. The down side of that is many parts of the world depend on China for goods covering a wide spectrum. One other thought is the bottom line on who gets the food and shelter in crisis situations is the militaries & law enforcement and health service personnel are first and the populations are somewhere behind. I strongly believe it will not come to that but that is the way things work.
Yes but, in the beginning if they had created the businesses in the US and given the jobs to Americans to begin with, maybe we wouldn't have so many homeless and poverty stricken people and we wouldn't be relying on a sick country to stock our shelves with contamination or not have any products at all. There was mention of a bridal shop that may lose the business because for the time being, they can't get any shipments of these dresses for their customers. It's just sad.

Yes but, in the beginning if they had created the businesses in the US and given the jobs to Americans to begin with, maybe we wouldn't have so many homeless and poverty stricken people and we wouldn't be relying on a sick country to stock our shelves with contamination or not have any products at all. There was mention of a bridal shop that may lose the business because for the time being, they can't get any shipments of these dresses for their customers. It's just sad.
Marci, think back to your childhood. Now consider the number of toys, clothes, shoes and possessions your family owned versus what most families have today. That should speak volumes.

Back in the mid-60s and earlier, most bridal gowns were made by the bride herself or a talented seamstress friend or family member. That same dress was worn several times by friends and family. Young women who didn't have that option often got married in a suit - something they wore a number of times over the next few years. Maternity wear, infant & children's clothing was likewise passed around.

Most women couldn't afford to have 20 pairs of shoes (average owned by US women) in their closets if shoemakers were paid US minimum wage rates.

Americans (and much of the rest of the world) are hooked on cheap imports.

Yahoo News opened a new "discussion" today, where it is summarizing the latest news from around the world, regarding this illness. This will help people keep informed with updates all in one location.

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus

Personally, I think things will get a Whole Lot Worse before we can start to see a return to more normal. The Stock Markets may well continue to nosedive to levels not seen since 2008. The supply chain for consumer items may see major interruptions, as businesses and suppliers begin to be affected. With little or no measures in place to treat...or even detect this illness....I suspect that 2020 is going to be one of the worst years on record for global economies, AND consumers. Some of the "experts" are even talking about a Possible Recession if this thing isn't brought under control, in the very near future. Personally, between this illness, and the turmoil the upcoming elections will bring, later this year, I will be glad to see 2020 run its course. I intend to plan for the worst, and be grateful if it doesn't happen.

One must wonder if any virus was tracked this closely dangerous or not would the hype be as great. I'm more worried all the other viruses that behave similarly that hasn't been id'd yet. Or that no one cares or knows nothing about. How many times has somebody has gotten sick and better yet no one had a clue as to what what hit them.

Best thing is try to live healthy. Don't get run down. Pay extra attention to nutrients, vitamins, fitness and sleep. The big thing is don't over do it. If one feels tired get extra sleep. Don't worry about going out drinking or completing a project tired.

Part of the issue here is that are too many that don't know how to be sick let alone know what 'sick' feels like. Most here are old to remember having to endure something that gave them a fever, cough, runny nose etc. Many alive today do not. Many can't handle discomfort to begin with.

But this sporting event 'coverage' especially the number of cases is making a frenzy worse.

One must wonder if any virus was tracked this closely dangerous or not would the hype be as great. I'm more worried all the other viruses that behave similarly that hasn't been id'd yet. Or that no one cares or knows nothing about. How many times has somebody has gotten sick and better yet no one had a clue as to what what hit them.

Best thing is try to live healthy. Don't get run down. Pay extra attention to nutrients, vitamins, fitness and sleep. The big thing is don't over do it. If one feels tired get extra sleep. Don't worry about going out drinking or completing a project tired.

Part of the issue here is that are too many that don't know how to be sick let alone know what 'sick' feels like. Most here are old to remember having to endure something that gave them a fever, cough, runny nose etc. Many alive today do not. Many can't handle discomfort to begin with.

But this sporting event 'coverage' especially the number of cases is making a frenzy worse.
What is scary is that China has quarantined entire cities, they haven't done that for the usual flu (StarSong pointed that out). So, I think they're not telling the whole truth about Corona. Even a few reporters have questioned their zeal.

Just heard the news...Hong Kong has closed all school until April... and many businesses...

japan has closed all schools for one month....

Panic buying has been created world wide....

This reported in California and happening in many other places world wide... and tbh IMO caused by the tabloids.... ...

25322180-8056301-VIRGINIA_People_have_been_panic_buying_items_from_stores_ever_si-a-94_1582905098995.jpg

..a woman turns her basement into a store...

25322136-8056301-MICHIGAN_Americans_are_preparing_for_the_spread_of_coronavirus_b-a-93_1582905098995.jpg

25322140-8056301-A_woman_in_Michigan_shared_a_photo_of_her_grocery_store_basement-a-98_1582905099036.jpg

25322720-8056301-MINNEAPOLIS_People_have_been_sharing_photos_of_their_coronavirus-a-102_1582905099115.jpg

similar thing happening here in certain areas , and also in Spain where my daughter lives....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-shelves-stripped-bare-coronavirus-panic.html

Last edited:
Just heard the news...Honk Kong has closed all school until April... and many businesses...

japan has closed all schools for one month....

Panic buying has been created world wide....

This reported in California and happening in many other places world wide... and tbh IMO caused by the tabloids.... ...

25322180-8056301-VIRGINIA_People_have_been_panic_buying_items_from_stores_ever_si-a-94_1582905098995.jpg

..a woman turns her basement into a store...

25322136-8056301-MICHIGAN_Americans_are_preparing_for_the_spread_of_coronavirus_b-a-93_1582905098995.jpg

25322140-8056301-A_woman_in_Michigan_shared_a_photo_of_her_grocery_store_basement-a-98_1582905099036.jpg

25322720-8056301-MINNEAPOLIS_People_have_been_sharing_photos_of_their_coronavirus-a-102_1582905099115.jpg

similar thing happening here in certain areas , and also in Spain where my daughter lives....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-shelves-stripped-bare-coronavirus-panic.html
And she's probably charging and arm-and-a-leg. Entrepreneur or scammer?

I think that the media has its own possibly nefarious reasons for hyping this and predicting dire things. It's almost like they're hoping for a pandemic. Remember the ebola scare? I think the media wants to foment panic and just in general stir things up. Try to stay calm.

Ever since the media outlets started their 24/7 coverage, the quality and type of news has changed. They don't just report news, they pretty much create it. Gotta keep those ratings up, ya know.

What is scary is that China has quarantined entire cities, they haven't done that for the usual flu (StarSong pointed that out). So, I think they're not telling the whole truth about Corona. Even a few reporters have questioned their zeal.

Oh you can bet China screwed this and the world up. They either had an ooops doing something they shouldn't have/was extremely dangerous or it was on purpose. Notice how the Hong Kong protests dropped out of the news over the last month. No matter their original motivations this escaped their control.

By the time there were reports on this one could almost guarantee this battle was probably lost a several weeks if not a month earlier.

The news is getting like one of these apocalypse movies where they have the tv news on in the background to supplement the story.

The news that I see on the networks still never makes mention of people that have recovered, the cycle of the illness, etc...

It also concerns me that the CDC has been gagged by White House politicians instead of allowing health care professionals to use their expertise to keep the public informed.

IMO these things continue to fuel the public's fears unnecessarily.

The news that I see on the networks still never makes mention of people that have recovered, the cycle of the illness, etc...

It also concerns me that the CDC has been gagged by White House politicians instead of allowing health care professionals to use their expertise to keep the public informed.

IMO these things continue to fuel the public's fears unnecessarily.
The news doesn't mention those who recovered.

This! From much of what I've heard this affected the old, young or compromised the most like most other 'flus'

I bet they could find more troubling stats on other diseases, flus, viruses etc. They're just tracking this one 24/7 now.

A second case has been confirmed in California. So, it's here. Now we'll have to learn to deal with it. Scary stuff.

I wonder if people who recover from the Coronavirus (or any other viruses) are immune to them in the future or if they are carriers. Just wondering here.
apparently not...2 people who had the cornovirus, and 'recovered' in this last month, have now been diagnosed with it yet again, so Virologists are saying that they have no idea now, how many times people could ultimately be affected and or, if they would ever become immune...

I also have to wonder how honest the authorities are being about this disease. Every discription I have seen makes it sound like a standard case of flu, very annoying and dangerous to the elderly, but hardly enough to incite the kind of panic that seems to be starting. So, what gives with this illness? Are they really describing it accurately, or is it actually a lot worse?

It seems today people are going on their merry way....My son and granddaughter are flying here to see us....It was planned....
Remember Polio...They would take us out of the classroom and get the polio shot.....I don't remember in our school if anyone ever
had polio....People die everyday....from sort of an illness....I won't get into the politics political battle.....

apparently not...2 people who had the cornovirus, and 'recovered' in this last month, have now been diagnosed with it yet again, so Virologists are saying that they have no idea now, how many times people could ultimately be affected and or, if they would ever become immune...

It's like the regular flu in that regard then. Isn't it? We catch the flu as kids, as teens, as adults and as seniors.

Back