Who was the Father of Rock and Roll?

Gaer

"Angel whisperer"
Who, in your opinion could be considered the Father of Rock and Roll?
I'm thinking maybe, Chuck Berry, but what is your opinion?

Chuck Berry's father? :ROFLMAO:

It seems to me there was "rock and roll" before Chuck Berry, though it is arguable since it didn't sound rock and roll to me. In various "history of rock and roll", I have read that "Sh Boom Sh Boom" by the Crewcuts was the first rock and roll tune. When you hear the tune, you will understand my doubts about that claim.

Tony

Chuck Berry's father? :ROFLMAO:

It seems to me there was "rock and roll" before Chuck Berry, though it is arguable since it didn't sound rock and roll to me. In various "history of rock and roll", I have read that "Sh Boom Sh Boom" by the Crewcuts was the first rock and roll tune. When you hear the tune, you will understand my doubts about that claim.

Tony
Oh the memories this song brought back. I would go to dances with my sister and friends. Whenever this song came on a guy at the dance would run up and dance with my sister.

I forgot who did 'Long Tall Sally' and I thought the man who did LTS is the 'father' of RnR. Chuck Berry. Had to google to be sure. Bill Haley second IMO.

Little Richard
Well said Rose, Big Joe and his ilk, the likes of Bullmoose (Benjamin) Jackson, Wynonie Harris, Bumps Blackwell, (A band leader & author of Long Tall Sally) and so many more, were ripping up the dance floors long before the term, Rock & Roll was coined. Those early artistes never got the recognition that they so deserved. They all have pride of place on my juke box.

I think these are all good answers. Chuck Berry was certainly the most notable among the names mentioned.

A question I have is why is rock and roll still a thing? My 17 year old son who is 50 years younger than me likes rock and roll. I don't think I like a single thing about my parents music. I barely even know what their music was. By and large, interest in their music died with them.

There is truly something about rock and roll that made it transcend just one time in history.

I don't know if there was one father of rock and roll. Blacks originated that "let loose" type of music and performers like Elvis expanded it's audience to white teens. When it became popular others jumped in.
This is apparently true. Reading the history of the time, it is often stated that Elvis "sounded Black" and therefore was able to get airplay at a time when Black musicians were not played for white audiences. Since I was born in 1953 and therefore a bit young to be aware of all these issues at the time, I am only repeating what I have read in a number of places, rather than stating it from my own recollection.

Tony

I think these are all good answers. Chuck Berry was certainly the most notable among the names mentioned.

A question I have is why is rock and roll still a thing? My 17 year old son who is 50 years younger than me likes rock and roll. I don't think I like a single thing about my parents music. I barely even know what their music was. By and large, interest in their music died with them.

There is truly something about rock and roll that made it transcend just one time in history.
Yes, I think there is something about rock and roll. Even country music these days is indistinguishable from rock and roll. As a long time country fan once commented to me, country is now like 50s rock and roll. This genre seems more popular than ever since having made that transition.

Tony

Rock has many parents. Ike Turner's "Rocket 88" from 1951 has often been called the first rock and roll song. I used to own an old Art Tatum album; on one song he played with Big Joe Turner and I distinctly remember them using the words "rock and roll", and that had to be from the 1940s. Louis Jordan was another important transition figure.

All rockers stand on the shoulders of Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Carl Perkins, and so many others. And let's not forget Wanda Jackson.

Back