Will you stay in your home as long as you can?

We will stay in our home till the very end.
It is a single level so no stairs to worry about.
And the land is mostly flat/level. At least the part we need to walk on :D
As we age we will just hire more and more things done for us as needed.
It will cost about the same as paying for two of us to live in Independent/Assisted Facilities with the benefit of a much quieter and private environment..

I will live in my apartment as long as possible because I have my pets to care for too.

If I need hospitalization in the future I will have to find someone to take care of my pets for me for a while but when the time comes that I am too old to care for myself properly anymore I will go to wherever I can and get into with my type of insurance.

I will never allow in any way to be put on a shelf in a home. I will be here till it is time.
Something like cancer comes at me, I will not allow that long slow slid that hurts friends and family so much. I will decide then it is time, either sitting on the deck loving nature all around me... :devilish: :devilish: Another is test drive a shiny new bike or one of those 100,000 dollar trucks. No not a hero. I agree with many others....when it is time...it is time.

I will live in my apartment as long as possible because I have my pets to care for too.

If I need hospitalization in the future I will have to find someone to take care of my pets for me for a while but when the time comes that I am too old to care for myself properly anymore I will go to wherever I can and get into with my type of insurance.
The trouble is that most insurance is no help at all for long term residency. Unless you have some kind of special insurance for long term care, you're just out of luck.

Another is test drive a shiny new bike .........when it is time...it is time.
Some years ago we heard a report of someone riding up the interstate, side saddle on a bike, passing cars hitting over 100 MPH.
Short time latter we get dispatched to a motorcycle wreck on the interstate....
Gentleman in his mid 80's clipped a car passing and went down... He went out on his terms, but left some gruesome memories for a bunch of people.

Last edited:
"Life ends when you stop living." I was with my dad at an assisted living "morgue". I was never so destroyed to see him in such a place. You have heard the expression "Come in where it's cool?" Assisted living is "Come in where it is cruel." I'll never go, never.
The average salary for a aged care worker is $23.69 per hour in Australia. (20 Mar 2021) .
CCTV cameras are being trialled in nursing homes in one state (SA) and hopefully all other states will follow. A recent Royal Commission into aged care homes showed evidence of staff being cruel to inmates that was so distressing, it prompted the CCTV camera solution.

"Life ends when you stop living." I was with my dad at an assisted living "morgue". I was never so destroyed to see him in such a place. You have heard the expression "Come in where it's cool?" Assisted living is "Come in where it is cruel." I'll never go, never.
My Dad was in a long term care facility for his last 10 years. He was blind since the '50s, had a stroke in his mid 70s that left him physically & mentally impaired. He was treated well, the facility was clean and had trained staff. My dad lived inside his head, in a fantasy world of his memories, reconstructed to resemble his present existence. I suppose that's as good as it gets...

I would not like being institutionalized, if I were able I'd run away to some homeless camp.

As you know, I gave up the house last year, and moved into a senior apartment building. I had known I wanted to downsize, to get away from outdoor maintanence.
This place is great. Not a nursing home, or assisted living, just apartments for people over 62. I hope to be able to live out my life here.
Sounds great; exactly what I'd love to do.

Do think its really different for couples than for singles. That's normally the rub. When one spouse passes away, often feelings change with respect to current living conditions for the remaining partner. Sometimes finances play a large part, other times its memories or
just maintaining the current status que ...perspectives change.

Back