Word for the day warp speed

• warp speed

• DEFINITION

noun
: the highest possible speed

• EXAMPLES

When Mario saw Helen enter the elevator, he grabbed his laptop and vaulted down the stairs at warp speed to get to the meeting room ahead of her.

"You may have noticed that time, which is fleeting in the best of circumstances, has a way of moving at warp speed when you reach a certain age." — Ed Gebhart, Delaware County Daily Times,

Origin:
1970s: popularized by the television series Star Trek (originally referring to a faster-than-light speed attained by a spaceship traveling in a space warp).

Sorry, but being a fan of Star Trek since its first TV episode I have to give my allegiance to warp speed.

oakapple said:
Star Wars fans will tell you all sorts of things [best not to listen.]

Oh, I know - I ran into a few at a Comic Con a few years ago - they were were pretty "out there".

One of them even spit on my phaser ! :mad::rolleyes:

It's interesting to contrast warp speed with the nautical term flank speed both terms mean the same thing in their different contexts. Although in Star Trek traveling for extended periods at warp speed was possible, the connotation of flank speed was that you only called for that speed in emergencies and that if kept going at that speed the engine would soon fail.

Sorry, but being a fan of Star Trek since its first TV episode I have to give my allegiance to warp speed.

Oh, I know - I ran into a few at a Comic Con a few years ago - they were were pretty "out there".

One of them even spit on my phaser ! :mad::rolleyes:
Khan: [quoting from Melville's Moby Dick] "To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"!

Khan: [quoting from Melville's Moby Dick] "To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"!

Aw, I loved Mr. Cordoba Leather in that role! ;)

He is quite possibly the only actor that could out-emote Shatner. :p

khan_and_joachim_(battle_stations).png
"Last Starbucks for 20 lightyears, sir"

I've always found it entertaining to compare and contrast Kirk and Picard.

Kirk was always the galactic bad boy, fighting and fornicating his way through all those green-skinned aliens.

Picard was more the monkish type - quiet, cerebral and much less willing to fight.

Yet they both shared an unhealthy attachment to their ships. ;)

517952378_picard_kirk_xlarge.jpeg

I've always found it entertaining to compare and contrast Kirk and Picard.

Kirk was always the galactic bad boy, fighting and fornicating his way through all those green-skinned aliens.

Picard was more the monkish type - quiet, cerebral and much less willing to fight.

Yet they both shared an unhealthy attachment to their ships. ;)
Your assessment of Cisco and Janeway?

Cisco is my favourite.
I've always found Janeway's fondness for Jane Austin rather offputting.

Your assessment of Cisco and Janeway?

Cisco is my favourite.
I've always found Janeway's fondness for Jane Austin rather offputting.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never watched a single episode of either Voyager or DS9.

My need for science fiction was amply filled with ST and ST:TNG.

Back