Would anybody want to go into a nursing home now with the virus here?

There are some really nice....and Pricey....Retirement communities that do a good job for Seniors. However, many of the lesser "care" facilities just cram as many as possible into their space, and provide little more than basic services. The worst are probably those that are State Run under Medicaid. Having to rely on one of those would be the LAST thing we would want.

I'm hoping that the money we are spending on Long Term Care is wasted, and we pass quickly. If needed, hopefully we can fund decent "in home" care with that program.

I don't think much has or will change.

I hear a lot of talk about conditions in nursing homes recently but I don't hear much about people figuring out a way to care for their family members at home or come up with a reasonable alternative to end of life care.

When my time comes just grind up a pill and slip it into my Jello!

Absolutely!!

I had a friend that had medical problems and her only son and his wife had no time seeing about her kill herself with a gun. She never told anybody she would do it she just did it.
I can not kill myself. Being Catholic, hedging my bets on reuniting with family in heaven, I must refrain, but I came very close not too long ago. Too much pain, but docs finally got it under control.

I've worked in them for years and hope I have the courage to end it all if I'm mentally capable but my body is giving out to the point of needing one ...not farfetched considering there's hardly any dementia in my family but a ton of autoimmune disease of which I have a few. But there are unexpected admissions ...stroke, hip fractures, rapid onset dementia. The facilities I do contract work for now are private pay homes and most families have exhausted other options ...not the caliber of people to dump family members off for convenience. A good many of our residents are on hospice because families are in the higher socioeconomic bracket and don't have the "do everything for poor Mama" unrealistic expectations that I saw a lot of in Medicaid homes.

Occasionally it is the only option. I'm told that Injuries from falls is what puts most of the elderly there who are otherwise healthy and living self reliant. Circumstances don't always allow for daily personal care of an invalid no matter how much we might want to give it.

Be kind to your love ones by being careful and not taking risks.
Unfortunately, I believe hip fractures are too often the beginning of the end for a lot of people - restoration to independent status and release from nursing home care is not that typical, based on my experience working in them. Perhaps things are better today.

My mother, MIL and FIL all had short stints in skilled nursing facilities (two weeks or less). There's a difference between rehab and long term nursing care. They received the PT and other needed care, then were released home.

To answer the question, I can't think of anyone who would EVER "want" to go into a nursing home, hospital or other facility, but particularly at a time where there is a high danger of contracting COVID-19, visitors aren't permitted, staff are overworked and exhausted, and patients are isolated.

What kind of question is that?

Last edited:
Having worked in nursing homes, I have repeatedly said, "Heck no, I won't go." This pandemic just gives more credence to my position. Let me die with dignity, preferably outdoors on a warm sunny day, looking up at the sky.

I worked in several nursing homes over the years. I don't want to go into one either after the stuff I've seen but, I may not have any other option when the time comes. Viruses or not.

I worked in several nursing homes over the years. I don't want to go into one either after the stuff I've seen but, I may not have any other option when the time comes. Viruses or not.
I will take the no thanks I’ll die at home option. Yes rehab and acute care are different facilities. I was considered too fragile for those more intense facilities. Apparently the doctors had never checked out stupid nursing homes where a diabetic, who never uses insulin, has to get three shots a day of insulin cause the nursing home provides a carb heavy diet. And other stupid issues designed to kill me.

Back