100+ Differences between British and American English | British vs. American Vocabulary Words

There are three types of schools in the UKā€

Public school: In the UK, public schools are the most prestigious private schools: Eton and Harrow being among some of the most famous examples.
Public schools charge fees. What sets them apart is that they are more selective, tend to have a longer history and are still strongly associated with the ā€˜upper classesā€™.

Private schools: also referred to as independent schools, do not receive money from the government and instead fund themselves through school tuition fees paid for each pupil.

State schools: State schools offer free education and are under the control of the state.

There's a lot of sitting going on in restrooms. We've never called those rooms "toilets" because the word was considered impolite for a few centuries. When Ma American told Pa American she needed to "go for a rest." he knew she wasn't going to nap. Alternatively, they were called water closets or simply closets, and sometimes The WC.

Yes, American bathrooms have a bath in them and some also have a shower. A bathroom that doesn't have a bathtub is called a half-bath, lavatory, or lav. Half-Bath is most common in the west. But, for sweet privacy, some American bathrooms have a small separate room within them for the toilet. It has it's own door, a room within a room, literally like a closet. Well, except for the toilet. So, a really old-fashioned closet.

This is an interesting thread, thanks @hollydolly .

Not sure if this one has been mentioned, but there are significant differences in how y'all use the words "punt" and "punter". In the US, American Football, a punt is a play involving kicking the ball, and a punter is the person who does the kicking.

I think punt means a kind of boat in the UK. And a punter is someone with money to spend, a bit of a derogatory term I think.

This is an interesting thread, thanks @hollydolly .

Not sure if this one has been mentioned, but there are significant differences in how y'all use the words "punt" and "punter". In the US, American Football, a punt is a play involving kicking the ball, and a punter is the person who does the kicking.

I think punt means a kind of boat in the UK. And a punter is someone with money to spend, a bit of a derogatory term I think.
No a punter isn't generally used as a derogatory term ( altho' it may have began it's life like that) ... just really means someone who places bets... or.. a regular customer...

Punt yes, is a flat bottomed boat... but also to take a punt on something is to take a risk...

No a punter isn't generally used as a derogatory term ( altho' it may have began it's life like that) ... just really means someone who places bets... or.. a regular customer...

Punt yes, is a flat bottomed boat... but also to take a punt on something is to take a risk...
What about the punters at Cambridge. And yes, we laugh at them if they don't know how to control the boat.

A phrase I've heard on film a great deal is referring to kids as 'our', as in, "our Mary' will be coming home from school soon.
yep our .. as in a member of our family.. Our Mary will be coming home.. or our Mary will fetch that.. our Mary will like that gift... again, not said in every part of the UK.. most often in the North of the UK... even parts of Ireland...

One thing Iā€™ve wondered about is what the UK equivalent might be for the US expression to describe someone getting upset: ā€œgetting oneā€™s parties in a knotā€.

Would it be the same except for substituting in knickers for panties? Or perhaps, away from the US, under garments just donā€™t figure into expressions describing one as upset? Or perhaps it is a UK import which has naturalized so successfully that we just think of it as ours? And what of people who prefer to go commando .. are they to be left out of it?

One thing Iā€™ve wondered about is what the UK equivalent might be for the US expression to describe someone getting upset: ā€œgetting oneā€™s parties in a knotā€.

Would it be the same except for substituting in knickers for panties? Or perhaps, away from the US, under garments just donā€™t figure into expressions describing one as upset? Or perhaps it is a UK import which has naturalized so successfully that we just think of it as ours? And what of people who prefer to go commando .. are they to be left out of it?
'Knickers in a twist' would be the expression I use.

I've said "knickers in a twist," "blimey" and "crikey" many times and have never been in Australia or England outside of stopovers at Gatwick.

I consider it a charming affectation. (That's my story and I'm sticking with it.)
..and those words are used in daily conversation by most Brits... ..especially the latter 2..I am guilty of using them several times a day most days...

yep our .. as in a member of our family.. Our Mary will be coming home.. or our Mary will fetch that.. our Mary will like that gift... again, not said in every part of the UK.. most often in the North of the UK... even parts of Ireland...
Please let me go off topic for just a second. We used to love a show with Mrs. Bouquet (Bucket) and "our" Rose! What was the title? Please!!!

I'm not sure where it originated but it seems New Yorkers will often add an "r" towards the end of a word. Any idea how and when that started?

Crickey means Christ in British slang

Blimey is short for gorblimey which means God blind me

Not all British people use these words. I don't!
Whatever their origins they don't mean that in the US.

Being some 5500+ miles from GB those words are considered no more of a curse than rats, shucks, darn, holy cow, jeepers-creepers, etc., and are decidedly more fun to say.

Obviously, your mileage will vary.

Back