100+ Differences between British and American English | British vs. American Vocabulary Words

Whatever their origins they don't mean that in the US.

Being some 5500+ miles from GB those words are considered no more of a curse than rats, shucks, darn, holy cow, jeepers-creepers, etc., and are decidedly more fun to say.

Obviously, your mileage will vary.
..and that's precisely what they mean here Star....

yep our .. as in a member of our family.. Our Mary will be coming home.. or our Mary will fetch that.. our Mary will like that gift... again, not said in every part of the UK.. most often in the North of the UK... even parts of Ireland...
Hmmm. I'll have to pay attention to what programs I hear that used in and where the setting is supposed to be. I've not heard it said in real life, but I've had very limited conversation with anyone in UK.

And to add to the thread, I recently read about some idioms that are of Brit origin. "Raining cats and dogs", "to give the cold shoulder", and 'to be caught red handed". You can look these up for yourselves as to the origin.

Roundabouts, what a horror show. I've heard that the theory for having roundabouts is so to eliminate traffic signals...no!!! Traffic signals are the only rational, easily understandable controls for traffic intersections. :oops:
Yes…when they’re paid attention to! 😡 I can’t tell you how many times I’ve almost been T-boned at the intersection that leads out of our subdivision because some maniac is insistent on running their red light even though I have the green. I NEVER pull out before looking because of that!

A long, long time ago we used to say in the Canadian Navy: Shut your gob! I haven't heard that expression in ages, I wonder if it is still being used?
when I was a kid in Scotland it was a phrase that was used by almost everyone .. I've been gone from Scotland for close to 50 years so I've no idea if it's still in use...

Last edited:
Whatever their origins they don't mean that in the US.

Being some 5500+ miles from GB those words are considered no more of a curse than rats, shucks, darn, holy cow, jeepers-creepers, etc., and are decidedly more fun to say.

Obviously, your mileage will vary.
I thought you were interested in Etymology …hence my providing the correct information… obviously you are not!
Using a word in a different country does not change its meaning!!

I thought you were interested in Etymology …hence my providing the correct information… obviously you are not!
Using a word in a different country does not change its meaning!!
Whoa! Why the hostility? My response wasn't about the origins of the words but rather about your comment, "Not all British people use these words. I don't!" From your exclamation point, I detected a certain, um, superiority about not using those expressions.

As for using a word in a different country not changing its original meaning, I beg to differ. You say boot, we say trunk. If I told an American friend, "Hang on, I have something in my boot," she'd expect me to pull my footwear off rather than head to the back of my car.

Language is a tool of communication. If all in the conversation agree on a word's meaning, then language has done it's job. Blimey and Crikey don't hold original UK meanings in the US. Not sure they ever did.

BTW, your exclamation points communicate a lot of attitude, at least in the US. Perhaps they have a different meaning in the UK.

Whoa! Why the hostility? My response wasn't about the origins of the words but rather about your comment, "Not all British people use these words. I don't!" From your exclamation point, I detected a certain, um, superiority about not using those expressions.

As for using a word in a different country not changing its original meaning, I beg to differ. You say boot, we say trunk. If I told an American friend, "Hang on, I have something in my boot," she'd expect me to pull my footwear off rather than head to the back of my car.

Language is a tool of communication. If all in the conversation agree on a word's meaning, then language has done it's job. Blimey and Crikey don't hold original UK meanings in the US. Not sure they ever did.

BTW, your exclamation points communicate a lot of attitude, at least in the US. Perhaps they have a different meaning in the UK.

Yup!!!! I have a lot of attitude!!!!
I am attitudinal !!!!

Last edited:
A long, long time ago we used to say in the Canadian Navy: Shut your gob! I haven't heard that expression in ages, I wonder if it is still being used?
I bet you know what a gash bucket was, right.? Did you go through Cornwallis ? I was there in 1962 as a Sea Cadet, we were in the old WW2 H huts down by the water. Up at 5 AM and doubling to the galley, before the regs ate. Jimb.

I bet you know what a gash bucket was, right.? Did you go through Cornwallis ? I was there in 1962 as a Sea Cadet, we were in the old WW2 H huts down by the water. Up at 5 AM and doubling to the galley, before the regs ate. Jimb.
Yep, went through Cornwallis four years ahead of you. We were in the buildings up on top, in Fraser Division! Nice to hear from another matelot!

Yep, went through Cornwallis four years ahead of you. We were in the buildings up on top, in Fraser Division! Nice to hear from another matelot!
I later joined the Royal Canadian Regiment, 2nd Battalion and served for ten years in various places in Canada and in Cyprus, and West Germany. I am old enough to remember when the RCN had 2 carriers, Maggie and Bonny. JimB.

I later joined the Royal Canadian Regiment, 2nd Battalion and served for ten years in various places in Canada and in Cyprus, and West Germany. I am old enough to remember when the RCN had 2 carriers, Maggie and Bonny. JimB.
You were probably stationed in Soest, Germany! Along with my brother-in-law! The RCR were in London, Ont. when I first arrived in Canada! Would that have been your battalion?

Roundabouts, what a horror show. I've heard that the theory for having roundabouts is so to eliminate traffic signals...no!!! Traffic signals are the only rational, easily understandable controls for traffic intersections. :oops:
Why on earth stop busy traffic lanes with lights when roundabouts just let the traffic flow naturally?

I've never heard the theory for having roundabouts as being something to eliminate traffic signals. Its more about decreased congestion and improved traffic flow.

Back