2020 Football (American, that is)

I'm glad the Bills lost. They didn't come out for the National Anthem. Was it because that guitar player made listening too painful? I doubt it although it was painful.
I would bet every flag pin worshiper watching the game at home remained seated on their fannies while downing a sixth hot dog. :ROFLMAO:

What We Learned From the NFL’s Conference Championships
The Chiefs will try to defend their Super Bowl title against Tom Brady and the Buccaneers — who are playing at home.
NY Times by Benjamin Hoffman Jan. 24, 2021
The Super Bowl matchup is set. The TBay Buccaneers, who came into the playoffs as the fifth seed in the NFC, will host the defending champion KC Chiefs on Feb. 7 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla. For Tom Brady, it is a chance at a seventh Super Bowl win. For Patrick Mahomes, it is an opportunity to be the first QB to win back-to-back titles — since Brady.

The Buccaneers came into Sunday’s NFC championship game as underdogs on the road, but beat the GBay Packers, 31-26. The Chiefs, playing in their third consecutive AFC championship game, beat the Buffalo Bills, 38-24. The game did not feel that close.

The Winner’s Bracket

Tom Brady’s faith in himself has been rewarded.
At the end of last season, Brady, who was 42 at the time, seemed to be in physical decline as his New England Patriots lost a wild-card playoff game at home to the Tennessee Titans. Speculation was rampant that he might walk away from the game, but Brady, a six-time Super Bowl winner, bet on himself, signing with a promising young TBay team that could support him with talented WRs. That move paid off. Brady had a throwback regular season, tossing 40 TD passes. He is heading to his 10th Super Bowl, a record. And with Saints QB Drew Brees likely to retire, it appears safe that Brady, regardless of when he retires, will go out as the career leader in passing TDs.

Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce don’t care about your Cinderella story. The Bills were the feel-good story of the season, and they took a quick 9-0 lead on Sunday. But the combination of Hill and Kelce was simply relentless, with them combining to catch 22 passes for 290 yds, and two TDs by Kelce. With 13 catches, Kelce tied the NFL record for receptions by a TE in a playoff game, but the most demoralizing play of the game came from Hill who caught a 6-yard pass that the NFL’s Next Gen Stats database said should have resulted in 10 yds after the catch, or a 16-yard play. Using his speed and his ability to shed tacklers, Hill gained 71. Only three plays all season exceeded their expected yardage by a wider margin.

The question for the Super Bowl is how much time Patrick Mahomes will have to throw to either player, as TBay’s pass rush can make life miserable for opposing QBs.

It is time to wonder what qualifies as a dynasty. KC has played in the AFC championship game three seasons in a row, winning it twice, and has a chance to be the first team to repeat as Super Bowl champions since the Patriots did it after the 2003 and 2004 seasons. While sports teams are typically only considered a dynasty after three championships, the NFL’s lack of repeat winners in recent decades in the salary cap era makes it worth considering if two titles would constitute a dynasty.

The Loser’s Bracket

If your season is on the line, the ball should be in Aaron Rodgers’s hands.
The Packers, trailing by 8, faced a fourth-and-goal at TBay’s 8-yard line with just over two minutes remaining. Rather than going for it, GBay kicked a field goal to narrow the deficit to 5 points. As a result, Aaron Rodgers never saw the ball again. TBay was able to secure a few first downs — with help from a few penalties — and ran out the clock to ice the victory. While there was no guarantee Rodgers would have found someone in the end zone on that fourth-down play, taking the team’s fate out of Rodgers’s hands is probably something that will haunt the Packers in the off-season.

If you can pressure Rodgers, you can beat him. An aggressive young defense was the Buccaneers’ calling card last season, and while the unit was inconsistent in 2020, it showed what it was capable of on Sunday. A week after Rodgers wasn’t sacked a single time and was hit only once, he was harassed all game by TBay’s front seven. Officially, the Buccaneers had five sacks and eight QB hits, but in reality they forced Rodgers into getting rid of the ball quickly on nearly every play. They put so much pressure on him that he made a rare mistake on a free play, not seeing that Davante Adams was wide open on the sideline on a play in which GBay had drawn a TBay defender offsides.

The Chiefs had a plan for Stefon Diggs. All season, Diggs was the key for Buffalo. Diggs, the star WR, not only set career highs in receptions and yds receiving during the regular season, but he opened up the entire field for the rest of the Bills’ offense because of the respect opposing defenses showed him. The Chiefs attacked him with press coverage throughout the first half — far more press than he saw during the regular season — all but eliminating him from the game. Diggs finished the day with six catches for 77 yds, but 34 of that came on one play late in the game when the Chiefs had a large lead and switched into a prevent defense.

Buffalo needs more from its running game. Josh Allen can feel like a one-man show, throwing TD passes and reeling off huge runs at will. But it was abundantly clear in Sunday’s game that the Bills simply can’t run the ball beyond Allen’s scrambles. Devin Singletary, T.J. Yeldon and Isaiah McKenzie combined to carry the ball 11 times for 41 yds. Buffalo can get by with its passing game and Allen’s wild runs against a lot of teams, but if the Bills want to compete with a team like the Chiefs in future seasons, finding some balance on offense is key.

Yes, Buc's have good team, but Brady's three Interceptions strongly indicate something is wrong with Old Tom.

If Tom were a decade younger, the game would be a tossup., he's not, and the Chief's should win with no problem.
The Chief's are not going to blow the Buc's away, but the Chiefs have Mahomes, and the Bu,s have to go with Old Tom.

Chiefs by 7

We would all like to see Old Tom 'Win one for the Gipper', but he's won three already.
Wildcard teams have won the Super Bowl two or three times, not this year.

(OFF TOPIC-The Raiders were ugly, nasty and just plain rotten, but i kind'a miss them and their evil ways.)

I've had raging fever all day-consequently do not care who wins this game.
Couldn't walk until 2nd quarter, have tv on for company.
Bummer

Take that back, Brady makes one watch, darn he is putting on a show..

Last edited:
I've had raging fever all day-consequently do not care who wins this game.
Couldn't walk until 2nd quarter, have tv on for company.
Bummer

Take that back, Brady makes one watch, darn he is putting on a show..
@jerry old ...the guy with Bradyesque determination plays for your team and wants to stay there if the Jones family would just get his contract settled.

I’m knackered...Play the Super Bowl at 3EDT...it’s after 3am here ;)

Who said Brady was past it?That was a bit easier than I thought!Still two minutes left but just going through the motions now.
Will Brady be in LA next year...Repeat?

I have to admit.
I really didn't care who would win the game. I watched because it was the Super Bowl and I always watch it.
It got boring. Since I record the game while I watch I just paused it and turned it off for a while. Took a nap.
I woke up up and fast forwarded through the game and went to the fourth quarter. I turned it off.
If I ever feel like watching it I will go back and watch it. I will probably delete it in a week.
Yawn.

The oft repeated words, "Defense wins Super Bowl," was on display.
The Bucs looked like the Ravens and Steelers defenses of yesteryear.

Mahones was ready to win the game, the Buc's defense wouldn't let him.
I didn't realize how good the Buc's defense was...
Where was the Chief's defense? It looks like they were absent.

Mahones can put 35 points on the board every game, Unless, Unless the defense will not let him.

From the SB Nation KC Chiefs sports columnists:

What we learned about the Chiefs this week (edited by lethe200)
Chiefs-Bucs Super Bowl LV rapid reactions by SB Nation Staff Feb 13, 2021

After the Kansas City Chiefs lost Super Bowl LV to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday night, Matt Stagner was able to find a balanced list of winners and losers from the ugly loss, while John Dixon focused on a big factor few had noticed before the game. But in his rapid reaction, Pete Sweeney articulated the biggest problem.

Let’s get this out of the way: the game was officiated poorly and unfairly — especially in the first half. That is not the reason the Chiefs lost. The Chiefs lost the Super Bowl because they were outplayed at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the football.

All week, it was suggested that the Chiefs makeshift offensive line would be tested against a Buccaneers front that had its way vs GBay. That in fact was a grand understatement. The Chiefs missed tackles Eric Fisher and Mitch Schwartz dearly; they also missed Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and Kelechi Osemele who sat out the season.

Dianna Russini of ESPN tweeted: “#Chiefs Patrick Mahomes was pressured the most of any QB in Super Bowl history. 29 pressures = 52% “

By the fourth quarter, Patrick Mahomes — already hobbled by turf toe that is expected to require surgery — was running for his life.

Chiefs fans now understand a different form of pain after Super Bowl LV loss
Kent Swanson searched for the silver lining from Sunday’s loss.

“ Winning a Super Bowl is difficult — and you need some luck on your side. You saw that on Sunday, as the Chiefs rolled out a completely decimated Offensive Line trying to protect a quarterback playing through turf toe. Attrition is a major contributing factor in a team’s ability to sustain success. Just ask the San Francisco 49ers.

The Chiefs have been to three straight AFC championship games. They will be there again several times. They will be in the Super Bowl several times as well. And they will win some — probably most they play in — but not every single one.

I’ll choose this pain every time. The hopes and dreams of Chiefs fans for generations are finally realized — the Chiefs are actually contenders. And now we all better understand firsthand the burden that comes with it.”

Report: Britt Reid’s Chiefs contract has expired
Britt Reid — the 35-year-old son of Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid — is no longer with the club, according to a report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Britt, who had been on the Chiefs’ staff in various roles since Andy’s arrival in 2013, was involved in a multi-vehicle accident prior to the Super Bowl and is under investigation for driving impaired. A 5-year-old girl suffered life-threatening injuries as a result of the incident.

The Top Five 2021 offseason priorities for the Kansas City Chiefs
Matt Stagner assembled his wish list for KC in 2021. Guess what was at the top?

1. Protect Patrick Mahomes.
When you have the greatest player in the game, protecting him with an OL should always be a top priority. After watching the complete breakdown in protection in the Super Bowl, and given the significant injuries at the OT position, the situation looks pretty dire.

The cupboards aren’t bare, with some returning players (like LDT and Lucas Niang) who might be able to contribute. But, assembling a deeper offensive line with some top-end starters —inside and out—has to be the top priority.

They could use draft picks 31 and/or 63 on any of the three OL positions, and it would be seen as a smart move. They could also look to free agency. We could see a very different offensive line unit by the season opener.

The biggest free agency decision for the Chiefs
Ron Kopp put on his GM hat, revealing the choice he would make about the team’s offensive free agents:

Sammy Watkins
It’s easy to continue giving chances to Watkins, a very talented WR who has played a significant role in two of the three Chiefs’ playoff runs. But his unreliability has become too much to accommodate.

A calf strain in Week 16 kept him off the field for over a month. When he finally played in Super Bowl LV, he was nearly invisible — catching his only target for 13 yards. The Chiefs needed a third pass-catcher to step up. A healthy, confident Watkins can absolutely be that — but there’s no telling when you’ll get that (and when you won’t) from the soon-to-be 28-year-old receiver. Even in the case of an inexpensive, short-term deal — I’d let another team give him a chance.

Verdict: Let him walk

&&&

Addendum: almost forgot, another article somewhere suggested that KC figure out what how to better utilize RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire in their overall offensive scheme. He’s got blazing speed, but they hardly utilized him at all in the SB.

Last edited:
Well Lethe 200, I've been channel surfing all day, can't find a football game-what's up?
I've found lost of auto racing, basketball, golf,...would settle for rugby...

Did not know Buc's secondary was that good...
Next year, Chief's vs Cowboys-Cowboys by 30-40:rolleyes:

Happy Chinese New Years, Jerry!

In the off-season I surf around SB Nation to see what other teams' writers/fans are proposing for their teams. Needless to say, much debate and many differing opinions to be found in the Green Bay and New Orleans groups! Very interesting.

With JJ Watts getting his requested release from the Texans, added to Deshaun's desire to leave as well, there is a lot of speculation over where each will play in the 2021-22 season. The LA Rams board is abuzz over rumors that JJ may be lured to their team now that they have dumped the ineffectual Jared Goff and swapped him out for QB Matt Stafford instead.

With the addition of Stafford the Rams immediately were installed as LVegas bookmakers' choice for winner of not only the NFC West but the entire NFC division as its Super Bowl 56 entry. If JJ Watts can pass a physical and if both he and Rams pass rusher Aaron Donald can structure team-friendly contracts, they could give any opponent nightmares!

The Texans want a lot for Deshaun, at least one if not more first round picks. That's understandable, but it limits who he might go to. Miami or the Jets qualify with the best offerings, but DW has refusal rights to where he goes, so it all depends on whether he wants to stay in the tougher of the two conferences.

Although the NFC West is considered the most competitive division, the NFC conference is weaker overall than the AFC conference. If DW stays in the AFC, he will always be competing with Mahomes, Herbert, et. al.

It's 50-50 that Deshaun might end up remaining in Houston, unhappy as he is.

There are also rumors that QB Russell Wilson is increasingly unhappy about the poor OL protection he's had for all 8 years he's been with the Seahawks. I don't blame him, his durability is astounding considering how lousy his OL is. With the Rams looking like they're jumping feet-first into the short-term goal of winning the SB 56 (they already have cap issues as-is), Seattle's prospects of winning the division next year have gotten much slimmer unless the injury bug hits LAR.
=======

But beyond that, I watch the NBA. I'm a Warriors fan!

Eagles QB Carson Wentz scheduled to make 20 million in 2021, traded to Colts for a 3rd round draft pick in 2021 and a 2nd round pick in 2022.
He was great when Eagles won Super Bowl, now is ability is suspect.

The Rams would like to trade Goff, his ridiculous salary hurts Rams cap.

LA Rams swapped Jared Goff to the Detroit Lions for Matthew Stafford on January 31st. LAR threw in a first-round draft pick, to boot. They are clearly shooting for SB 56 after finding Goff unable to help them advance last season.

Wentz will be reunited with Frank Reich, now HC of the Colts. Reich was the OC when Wentz had his most successful years. After Reich left, Wentz's performance suffered.

Can Reich resuscitate Wentz's career? We'll see. He'll be the Colts' 4th QB in 4 years. Jacoby Brissett wasn't the answer for them, so the question is now, where will Brissett end up - the Patriots? The Niners? Or will the Colts hang on to him for a backup?

Stay tuned; interesting things will happen in FA this year.

Stafford put up a bunch of records with a terrible team, so he should be an upgrade to Goff no matter what. LA Rams have the best D in football (ranked #1 in 2020) and a decent-enough offense that even an average QB should be an improvement.

QBs Jared Goff and Jimmy Garoppolo (Niners) have the same problem. They flinch under pressure. I don't know about Goff (haven't watched him consistently) but I can't blame Jimmy G - his OL protection has been absolutely terrible after his first year with us. That first year he did pretty well, and then the OL fell off a cliff and he got hurt multiple times.

I'm also not as in love with coach Kyle Shanahan as some Niner fans, especially having personally watched during HoF'er HC/GM Bill Walsh. Kyle is a bright offensive strategist, but I see two flaws after his 4 yrs with SF:
  1. He doesn't like to adjust his playcalling to his current team's strengths/weaknesses. If all his 1st-stringers are healthy, everything's copacetic and the O hums like a well-oiled machine. But let somebody get hurt - and these days that's commonplace, especially for SF over the last 2 yrs - and the wheels start to wobble and fall off.

This is a REAL problem. Kyle is young, and I hope can learn and grow some. If he can't learn to adapt better, we're in for a long stretch of fan frustration.

2. I'm not impressed with how fast he has rushed players back from injury. Again, BIG problem. It's related to #1 - he wants all his 1st stringers on the field. Otherwise, the O doesn't work as well. It's as plain and simple as that.

SF has one of the two best TEs in the NFL - George Kittle. Travis Kelce is a little bigger/heavier, and more durable. Kittle is the superior blocker. But he struggled with injuries in 2020, and what I saw was Kyle letting him play in games based on Kittle's say-so that he was okay. But he wasn't 100%, and it showed. He came back and was so-so, and then the very next game he got a new, and worse, injury that took him out for the rest of the season.

Kittle is an old-fashioned "gamer". He will always want to be on the field and hitting his blocks. That means you can't depend on what he says about his health. He has taken major hits in just the 3 yrs he's been playing, and will doubtless take more - as many more as Kyle will allow.

And to my mind, Kyle is going to allow him to take more than he should, because much more than the QB position, Kittle is the one essential to Kyle's O-schemes. The Niners have no one even close to Kittle's blocking ability, to back up the TE position. With a porous OL line compounding the problem (Kittle likes to go up against those edge rush passers!), no wonder Niner QBs were getting hammered and the O couldn't keep long drives sustained in 2020.

Back