2022-3 NFL Pro Football (Pls, no other sports - thx!)

I'll be pulling for the Ravens tomorrow, just because I hate the Broncos. They're the Walmart of football teams (and owned by the owners of Walmart).

I was watching the Bucs-Saints game but turned it off. If there was ever a worse combination of commentators than the Manning brothers, I've never heard them and I've been watching football since it first came on TV in the early 50's. Excellent QB's and pleasant enough whenever interviewed but as a duet providing game coverage they're terrible IMHO.

Well my Dallas Cowboys are doing much better than I expected. Although I was very disappointed when they blew that 14 point lead against the Packers, but the following week they blew out the Vikings 40-3, and scored 33 points against the Colts in the 4th quarter, enroute to a 54-19 massacre. 😆

My first year joining in a league for Fantasy Football.
Small, private league with some friends.

Always thought it was a waste of time, but now I'm really into it.
Following teams and players more than ever.

The thing that made things more interesting was when I discovered
'Red Zone' on the NFL channel at the beginning of the season.

Understand now why Fantasy is such a big deal.
A different twist to my NFL watching and you can talk alittle 'smack' with friends.

Just another way for this retired guy to enjoy his football time.

I was watching the Bucs-Saints game but turned it off. If there was ever a worse combination of commentators than the Manning brothers, I've never heard them and I've been watching football since it first came on TV in the early 50's. Excellent QB's and pleasant enough whenever interviewed but as a duet providing game coverage they're terrible IMHO.
I always turn off the sound. I can't stand all the "Real football" talk!

My first year joining in a league for Fantasy Football.
Small, private league with some friends.

Always thought it was a waste of time, but now I'm really into it.
Following teams and players more than ever.

The thing that made things more interesting was when I discovered
'Red Zone' on the NFL channel at the beginning of the season.

Understand now why Fantasy is such a big deal.
A different twist to my NFL watching and you can talk alittle 'smack' with friends.

Just another way for this retired guy to enjoy his football time.
Never got involved with it (Fantasy Football) myself but our son and a couple of the inlaw" grandsons enjoy it.

That was a hell of a game yesterday, wasn't it? Vikings take it in OT. You have to wonder if the half-time speech reminded Cook (and Cousins) that he's not their only receiver. Looked to me like the Vikings could have scored a lot earlier if Cook would have handed the ball off like a mate. I saw at least 2 really safe opportunities.

Anyway, awesome game.

Well, as usual my home team[Commanders] have backed themselves into a corner and now have to win starting with the rough[49er's]who have only the top defense in the league and a rookie QB who doesn't play like one, will we win??? I don't think so...49er's 35- Commanders 6...ouch!!

Well, as usual my home team[Commanders] have backed themselves into a corner and now have to win starting with the rough[49er's]who have only the top defense in the league and a rookie QB who doesn't play like one, will we win??? I don't think so...49er's 35- Commanders 6...ouch!!
Commanders? I've never even heard of them. How long they been around?

I looked them up. They play for Washington, but starting when? (didn't read that far)
I don't follow football much, obviously. I played baseball but haven't even followed MLB since the 80s.
But as a Vikings fan from way back, I did watch the ~vs~Colts game last weekend.

Commanders? I've never even heard of them. How long they been around?

I looked them up. They play for Washington, but starting when? (didn't read that far)
I don't follow football much, obviously. I played baseball but haven't even followed MLB since the 80s.
But as a Vikings fan from way back, I did watch the ~vs~Colts game last weekend.
It's cool, they used to be called[Redskins] but had to change the name as it was offensive to Native Americans, the team has been around for[90yrs] since[1932] when the owner [George Preston Marshall] brought them to D.C.] in[1937] they have won five World titles[ 1937-1942-1982-1987-1992].

Disturbing scenes this evening in the Bills Bengals game.
All thoughts are with Damar Hamlin.Who received CPR for several minutes.

The Official Statement from the NFL:

Tonight's Buffalo Bills-Cincinnati Bengals game has been postponed after Buffalo Bills' Damar Hamlin collapsed, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced.
Hamlin received immediate medical attention on the field by team and independent medical staff and local paramedics. He was then transported to a local hospital where he is in critical condition.
Our thoughts are with Damar and the Buffalo Bills. We will provide more information as it becomes available.
The NFL has been in constant communication with the NFL Players Association which is in agreement with postponing the game....
Can't see how the players can be expected to resume the game at all but it is only ' postponed' as I write.
We have had similar scenes in British soccer...with good outcomes.
Hope it turns out the same here.

Tonight's Buffalo Bills-Cincinnati Bengals game has been postponed after Buffalo Bills' Damar Hamlin collapsed, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced.
Hamlin received immediate medical attention on the field by team and independent medical staff and local paramedics. He was then transported to a local hospital where he is in critical condition.
Our thoughts are with Damar and the Buffalo Bills. We will provide more information as it becomes available.
The NFL has been in constant communication with the NFL Players Association which is in agreement with postponing the game....
Can't see how the players can be expected to resume the game at all but it is only ' postponed' as I write.
I hope he pulls through this, very concerning. :(

Damar Hamlin apparently suffered from cardiac arrest after being hit in the chest. His heartbeat was restored on the field. No word yet as to whether or not he has regained consciousness or is able to breathe on his own.

I do not normally watch football , but due to home town [Cincinnati] and the important game I tuned in to it last night. Just as i did , that play had just happened. The player was on the ground , taken away by ambulance.

The announcers said ....... word from the league is, they are going to give the players five minutes to warm back up, and we will continue the game.

Now the lying sons-of-bitches [the league] says .... they never said that as it would have been insenceitive.

Now why would those announcers say that if there was no directive to do so ?

I think the league knew they 'stepped in it' and now they are trying to back out of it ...... jmo

Ah, yeah.... "Modern Audiences"
Got it.
Well....it is offensive. It's one thing to be called "Chief". Wouldn't we all like to have the annual paycheck of the Chief Executive Officer of IBM?

It's another thing altogether to be called "Redskin".

I'm Asian. So is my spouse. Would you call us "Yellowskins?"

I don't think so. Your posts show far too much intelligence and thoughtfulness for that.

The English language is still around because it has a sociologic fluidity and absorbs not only words from other languages, but also recognizes that meanings change.

Change makes people uncomfortable sometimes. So be it. We should all want life to advance, not remain static or regress.

Well....it is offensive. It's one thing to be called "Chief". Wouldn't we all like to have the annual paycheck of the Chief Executive Officer of IBM?

It's another thing altogether to be called "Redskin".

I'm Asian. So is my spouse. Would you call us "Yellowskins?"

I don't think so. Your posts show far too much intelligence and thoughtfulness for that.

The English language is still around because it has a sociologic fluidity and absorbs not only words from other languages, but also recognizes that meanings change.

Change makes people uncomfortable sometimes. So be it. We should all want life to advance, not remain static or regress.
When you think of Vikings, for example, you probably think plunder, aggressive, relentless, fearful, organized. That's why the Vikings chose the name. Today, some people don't like it because it implies that American football players are violent. And that's exactly why the name was chosen...because it gives you that mental image. It sounds kinda scary. It's a psych-out, like the Golden State Warriors, New York Giants, the Titans, Raiders, Panthers, etc.

When I was 8, my aunt and uncle adopted a 13yr-old boy. Him and my older brother became really close. Best cousins, best buds. His name is Tony Greybear. He's Hopi, and he was born on a multi-tribe reservation in Arizona. His mom died when he was 11 and no one could find his dad (located in Mexico yrs later). My aunt and uncle made him one of their own, but they let him be what he was, too; a Native American. And they helped him become very proud of it.

Tony calls himself a Redskin. For him, the word represents fortitude and resistance, and that totally makes sense to me. He knows it's a derogatory word, so when he calls himself a Redskin, he's also saying he's overcome people's prejudice. He's basically saying "Come at me, I dare you," like he's a profession football player or something. ;)

When you think of Vikings, for example, you probably think plunder, aggressive, relentless, fearful, organized. That's why the Vikings chose the name. Today, some people don't like it because it implies that American football players are violent. And that's exactly why the name was chosen...because it gives you that mental image. It sounds kinda scary. It's a psych-out, like the Golden State Warriors, New York Giants, the Titans, Raiders, Panthers, etc.

When I was 8, my aunt and uncle adopted a 13yr-old boy. Him and my older brother became really close. Best cousins, best buds. His name is Tony Greybear. He's Hopi, and he was born on a multi-tribe reservation in Arizona. His mom died when he was 11 and no one could find his dad (located in Mexico yrs later). My aunt and uncle made him one of their own, but they let him be what he was, too; a Native American. And they helped him become very proud of it.

Tony calls himself a Redskin. For him, the word represents fortitude and resistance, and that totally makes sense to me. He knows it's a derogatory word, so when he calls himself a Redskin, he's also saying he's overcome people's prejudice. He's basically saying "Come at me, I dare you," like he's a profession football player or something. ;)
LOL, that reminds me of when I was on another website forum, and I referred to myself and my family as AsAm. The number of Caucasians who got all upset at my using the term was astonishing!

I told them I get tired of typing "Asian American" - I tend to do long posts - and it was easier than writing out "my family of mostly Japanese-American but two Chinese-Americans but only one was born in the US and the other in HK, along with our half-Jewish relatives" every single time I referred to them in my post.

Still, some people insisted upon feeling offended...I guess on my behalf!

Your friend is using the word "Redskin" as an aggressor-meets-hostility stance. It's very common, African-Americans do a lot too.

There's a big cultural divide between the first & second generation Asian immigrants, and the third & successive generations. First generation Asian immigrants generally do not like to "make waves" by being noticed. It's considered vulgar in most Asian cultures, marked as lower class behavior. They would rather avoid conflict than take an aggressive stand.

Anyway, this is fun but I guess we're going way off base here. Thank you, Murrmurr, for a thoughtful and interesting discussion. My apologies to all, and back to football!

Quick update on the fallout from the Damar Hamlin injury:

It was the two HCs who got together and decided to send the players back to their locker rooms.

The NFL has announced the Bills-Bengal game will NOT be rescheduled/played.

Quick update on the fallout from the Damar Hamlin injury:

It was the two HCs who got together and decided to send the players back to their locker rooms.

The NFL has announced the Bills-Bengal game will NOT be rescheduled/played.
That had the makings of a great game with two of the great young gunslingers playing each other. If they don't make up this game, I wonder how it will affect their teams' standings.

Back