75 and in retirement community. Most everyone here looks 85 and on walkers.

I could do with a maid too, someone to sit on my knee, and share punnets of grapes and Snicker bars with me, and turn the pages of my book.
It's not going to happen, so I'll just have another snooze. 😊

Hi Tara. I am also 75 and have been living in an assisted living for a year. Not bragging, but I ama young looking 75 and do get attention. So far I am 75% happy. I am in good health, walk outside about 4 miles everyday. My apartment is nice and the facility is upgrade too. Most everyone here is in their 80’s, a few in 90’s and one who just turned 100. There are about 10 my age. I am close with only about five or six who are without walkers. I have no one who can walk with me. It does get depressing sometimes when someone dies or gets sicker.

I am thinking about buying a car so I can get out more on my own when and where I want. I now depend on my daughters and Grandchildren for transportation. I cannot stand waiting for someone to pick me up, on their schedule.

Cold weather has depressed me. I am hoping my mood will be more upbeat when spring arrives. But I do think I will seriously think about moving to a more younger community soon.
Like GAlady, I am also 75 and live among a lot of "elderly" mostly ladies. It can be depressing. This week 3 ambulances arrived here to pick up the locals and take them away. I'm not kidding: 1 on Monday morning, another on Wednesday morning and a 3rd one on Thursday late afternoon. That is only those that I see because there is no way I see all the ambulances all the time. Furthermore, I live in the middle of Canada where we are now "enjoying" awful cold weather and howling winds. If that done get you, try to look at all the people wearing masks all day, masked people on the news and masked people in the newspapers. It's kind of tough for me because I remember better times "living it up" 2 winters in Port Isabel, Texas and 2 winters in Mexico. Those were the days: shorts, sandals and cheap rum.

Now, it's blizzards, freezing cold, howling winds and masked bandits with no smiles. Even to see a frown would be nice. I'm starting to get chest pains and I think it from the stressful situation I have to live in. I hope I make it to spring and then I hope I'll be better. They say everything ends sooner or later. This can't end for me soon enough.

As I said above, maybe it's Pennsylvania?
Yes I am in Pennsylvania. I had no where to go without friends or family. So I was able to get a grant from this upscale senior community complex. The studio apartment is great though . It is spacious and pretty.
I would rather have a regular apartment but I was afraid that the money my brother left me would run out and I would have to go a nursing home later on. I have a very small social security check. It is nonprofit here and they will keep you.
I would like some friends outside in my town (which is close) to go to dinner with .

Whaaaat? :mad: What about the white maids?:mad: Do they like you?

Some people resent you? Sounds more like you resent them because they don't wear makeup and they use walkers. Oh. And maybe because they're POC.

Doesn't sound like a good fit. If you haven't bought your apartment, perhaps you should look for a place more in keeping with what you view as your Station in Life.
I think I know what she means about not being ready to be older than she feels and looks.
I found living Here where I am now the oldest I NEED THE help as in the Merry Maids.

Like GAlady, I am also 75 and live among a lot of "elderly" mostly ladies. It can be depressing. This week 3 ambulances arrived here to pick up the locals and take them away. I'm not kidding: 1 on Monday morning, another on Wednesday morning and a 3rd one on Thursday late afternoon. That is only those that I see because there is no way I see all the ambulances all the time. Furthermore, I live in the middle of Canada where we are now "enjoying" awful cold weather and howling winds. If that done get you, try to look at all the people wearing masks all day, masked people on the news and masked people in the newspapers. It's kind of tough for me because I remember better times "living it up" 2 winters in Port Isabel, Texas and 2 winters in Mexico. Those were the days: shorts, sandals and cheap rum.

Now, it's blizzards, freezing cold, howling winds and masked bandits with no smiles. Even to see a frown would be nice. I'm starting to get chest pains and I think it from the stressful situation I have to live in. I hope I make it to spring and then I hope I'll be better. They say everything ends sooner or later. This can't end for me soon enough.
Why don't you consider moving back to Texas?

Hi. I am a 75 year old woman just joined a retirement community. Most people here are about 85. And on walkers. They are nice enough. But it is a little sad and depressing. I look young for my age. And they think it is a big deal because I wear makeup. The black maids do not like me. Some people resent me here. It is for62 and up. Nonprofit continue g care. I am pretty healthy and in independent living. I keep wondering where the people in their 60;s. And 70s are.
It is like twilight zone here. I think I should be in the 55 age and up age range.

The place is pretty and hi tech though. I have a nice apartment and tv .it is pa. It is so hard after losing my house and my brother.
I am so sorry, my mom is experiencing this same issue with the places we are touring for future placement. You being there and being vibrant brings joy whether you realize it or not. I hope you can find some positives in activities that interest you. Right now we are focusing on crafting, reading good books and attending zoom events online (makeup tutorials, bingo, book clubs, etc). Sending you our best from North Carolina!

Of course, if you have reached a stage in your life when your needs are better met in a retirement community, then it seems a sensible thing to do but, to be honest, I don't think I would be happy in one myself. A question for you, if I may. When you moved into accommodation for older people, did it make you feel older?

So they say, but we do soldier on, do we not? I turned 89 last month and am even surprised at myself.
;)
Yea it's all relative! I moved to a retirement community last year at age 75 (now 76), just like Tara in the original post. And the average age here is about 80. No whether where or when you are at in this journey of life, try to make every day count if you can.

Wherever people are they bring themselves along.

That was never clearer to me than when my mother (and a few years later my FIL) were in assisted living. Despite huge life changes from having lived alone in large houses they both remained who they'd always been - friendly, happy, gracious people who were big on "please and thank you," and "How are you today?"

I live in a "senior" community, for ages 55 and older. I wouldn't call it a retirement community, as some of the younger residents are still working. And yes, there are plenty of really old folks here, some of whom act like "old folks" and some who don't.

Yesterday, I spent part of the day teaching a friend and neighbor how to play Wordle. She is nearly blind and has hearing difficulties as well; that doesn't slow her down at all. She has a computer with a very large font and a special keyboard, and she manages electronics, exercise, etc. Within one day she's already beaten me at the game.

Today, I'm driving two residents to a Gilbert & Sullivan performance at a nearby town, as we're all fans. Those who have stopped driving find ways to get around anyway.

It seems to be up to the individual whether they want to spend the rest of their life kvetching about their medical symptoms, or anything else... or find ways to continue enjoying life. One suggestion is to engage in activities that are likely to attract people who are mentally and physically active. We have many sports and exercise activities here, walking clubs, performance groups, etc. We also have a writers' club, where they bring their own creative writing to share every two weeks. And many book clubs. Our political groups are very active. We have a couple of news publications to read and write for. We have a residents' library, where some people enjoy working as volunteers. There's a computer room and a gym. And there's an art studio, a ceramics room, and endless table games such as bridge, scrabble, chess, mah jong, canasta, and others. That's just scratching the surface.

Try different activities that are available in your community, or start your own if necessary. (If you build it, they will come!) You may be surprised at how many kindred spirits there are where you live, who are not ready to cave in to old age yet. (Chronological age doesn't matter at all.)

I live in a "senior" community, for ages 55 and older. I wouldn't call it a retirement community, as some of the younger residents are still working. And yes, there are plenty of really old folks here, some of whom act like "old folks" and some who don't.

Yesterday, I spent part of the day teaching a friend and neighbor how to play Wordle. She is nearly blind and has hearing difficulties as well; that doesn't slow her down at all. She has a computer with a very large font and a special keyboard, and she manages electronics, exercise, etc. Within one day she's already beaten me at the game.

Today, I'm driving two residents to a Gilbert & Sullivan performance at a nearby town, as we're all fans. Those who have stopped driving find ways to get around anyway.

It seems to be up to the individual whether they want to spend the rest of their life kvetching about their medical symptoms, or anything else... or find ways to continue enjoying life. One suggestion is to engage in activities that are likely to attract people who are mentally and physically active. We have many sports and exercise activities here, walking clubs, performance groups, etc. We also have a writers' club, where they bring their own creative writing to share every two weeks. And many book clubs. Our political groups are very active. We have a couple of news publications to read and write for. We have a residents' library, where some people enjoy working as volunteers. There's a computer room and a gym. And there's an art studio, a ceramics room, and endless table games such as bridge, scrabble, chess, mah jong, canasta, and others. That's just scratching the surface.

Try different activities that are available in your community, or start your own if necessary. (If you build it, they will come!) You may be surprised at how many kindred spirits there are where you live, who are not ready to cave in to old age yet. (Chronological age doesn't matter at all.)
It sounds wonderful!

Thank you for this. I will be moving to an Over 55 apartment community at the end of this year.
It is a big step for me, but I need to be closer to my son & his family. I have heard some not so nice stories, but I got a nice vibe visiting the one where I'll be moving to. I hope it is as nice and as friendly as yours.

Thank you for this. I will be moving to an Over 55 apartment community at the end of this year.
It is a big step for me, but I need to be closer to my son & his family. I have heard some not so nice stories, but I got a nice vibe visiting the one where I'll be moving to. I hope it is as nice and as friendly as yours.
As a fellow NYer Kika, may I ask where your new place is located? I❤️NY, btw.

Back