Abortion - the times may be a changin...

As for comparing abortion laws to the US military draft, please note that the draft ended in 1973.
Interestingly enough, the military learned that unwilling (draftees) generally made a less effective fighting force than a volunteer army. Why do our nation's leaders refuse to apply that same wisdom to the quality of parenthood by those who choose and plan it versus those who are traumatized by the life change it represents?

There is much talk in online discussions that the draft (male only) will be resurrected due to all fears of China invading Taiwan and Russia invading Ukraine. The majority of pols and population favor female inclusion but this will not be likely happen.

But you do make a valid point - those who volunteer are likelier to be better soldiers. Same wisdom applies to parents.

Every ovulation and ejaculation represents potential humans. IUDs are essentially little abortion machines. Should morning-after pills be made illegal?

With nearly 8 billion on the planet already, at what point will enough be enough? 20 billion? 30?

As for comparing abortion laws to the US military draft, please note that the draft ended in 1973.
Interestingly enough, the military learned that unwilling (draftees) generally made a less effective fighting force than a volunteer army. Why do our nation's leaders refuse to apply that same wisdom to the quality of parenthood by those who choose and plan it versus those who are traumatized by the life change it represents?
I'm not so sure that's true. Maybe you could point me to a study or something.

Just look at all the abuse in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq by our military against the people of those countries, plus the willingness to commit atrocities. With a volunteer military, you get a lot of people who can't make it in society. With a draft, you get a better quality soldier. On the other hand, narcissists make the best soldiers since they can be ruthless, and that's what you want in traditional warfare, but not so much with a war fought with modern technology — where you can bomb a community or gathering with just a press of a button on a computer. In that case, you want someone with a fully developed conscience.

unwilling (draftees) generally made a less effective fighting force than a volunteer army
I'm not so sure that's true. Maybe you could point me to a study or something.

This is generally well known. I distinctly remember the army calling for an end to the draft in the early 1970s. When I tried to enlist back then, there were signs all over Fort Hamilton Station in Brooklyn, NY which read "Help Support A Volunteer Army" or words to that effect.

A draft would generate resentment especially from the poorer classes as lower class people like me would be the ones drafted as privileged upper class types would be exempt while b1tching and moaning about how unlucky life is for them.

To take this one more step, even if this child's child was adopted out into a loving family, DNA testing is as simple as spitting in a tube and getting to a post office.

Imagine the horror of that child when the light dawned that all close relatives were also related to each other. Or that Dad is a serial rapist.

Don't even want to know how THAT kind of information would affect someone's self-perception.

Lets be clear: Abortion laws are meant to control women. If they were truly focused on protecting "precious children" those at-risk children would be treated as precious by so-called pro lifers after they were born.

If PLs want a cause to rally around, how about our horrific foster care system? Talk about broken. And p.s. "precious children" in foster care are already here!
Well said, and so very true!!!

difficult to argue with that: https://www.google.com/search?q=abortion+laws+were+meant+to+to+control+women&rlz=1CAKSOU_enUS772US772&sxsrf=AOaemvIWIXc_PX0ZJeqRtgBVA1XHwRvkSA:1638891491691&ei=43-vYeOvKcqjptQP3OKfyAY&ved=0ahUKEwijrb_JgtL0AhXKkYkEHVzxB2kQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=abortion+laws+were+meant+to+to+control+women&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BwgjELACECdKBAhBGABQigVYpiJg0ihoAXABeACAAX-IAawDkgEDMi4ymAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

just like military draft laws were meant to control men

Ironically, many of a certain political persuasion say government has no right to dictate to them how to conduct their lives. But that same government has the right to restrict their reproductive rights and to conscript others for needless (but profitable) wars.

Absolutely! I do not see how the same people can say they can't get a vaccine because they have the absolute right to control their own bodies and at the same time feel they have the right to control women's bodies regarding abortion and/or contraception. The two beliefs seem mutually exclusive to me.

This is generally well known. I distinctly remember the army calling for an end to the draft in the early 1970s. When I tried to enlist back then, there were signs all over Fort Hamilton Station in Brooklyn, NY which read "Help Support A Volunteer Army" or words to that effect.

A draft would generate resentment especially from the poorer classes as lower class people like me would be the ones drafted as privileged upper class types would be exempt while b1tching and moaning about how unlucky life is for them.
Yes, our son would greatly disagree with the suggestion draftees are "better soldiers" than those who volunteer to serve. He would also disagree that today's soldiers are not the brightest or the bravest. He has been in 16 years and has seen a change in the military is that time. That there will be a draft reinstituted re Russia or China aggression is, probably, a far-fetched assumption. Today's wars will be fought with computer guided missiles, smart bombs, etc. The time that infantry battalions line up and begin shooting at each other is behind us. To operate the weapons of today requires far more than just a trigger finger.

The women who can afford to travel to another state will do that, and have their abortion as usual, with maybe a little more inconvenience than if it were in their own location. But the women who can't afford to get away, who can't miss even a day or two of work, have no one to leave their kids with, etc. will go back to the "good old days" of butchered abortions, self-abortions, secrecy, disgrace, maiming and deaths. Or having children who are unwanted and abused.

Sometimes I feel like instead of moving forward, this country is falling backward as fast as it can.

The women who can afford to travel to another state will do that, and have their abortion as usual, with maybe a little more inconvenience than if it were in their own location. But the women who can't afford to get away, who can't miss even a day or two of work, have no one to leave their kids with, etc. will go back to the "good old days" of butchered abortions, self-abortions, secrecy, disgrace, maiming and deaths. Or having children who are unwanted and abused.

Sometimes I feel like instead of moving forward, this country is falling backward as fast as it can.

I feel that way a lot nowdays. It makes me both sad and very angry.

Back