About those pronouns, is there already a thread?

Georgiagranny

So do we now not use he/she and instead use they/them? How can one person be "they" or "them"?

What am I missing?

I don't quite get it myself. A young lady (21) that walks by my place stops and chats a bit. She told me she is non-binary (?) and had changed her name to one that was A-sexual (?) I just nodded and changed the subject. I did a little research and got the gist of it. When I told my daughter about the girl and said I would have a hard time, at my age, remembering to keep all that together, she said it would be disrespectful if I didn't. I responded and said that I would prefer to be addressed as an evolved primate going forward. Ended that one.

So do we now not use he/she and instead use they/them? How can one person be "they" or "them"?

What am I missing?
Something I noticed awhile back: in the past, when somebody came up with dumb fads they faded away within relatively short periods of time, but these days it's different. Maybe it's the internet bringing like-minded people together, but it's like the entire population is expected to go along with fads and 'that's the way it is.'

On this subject- no, 'they' and 'them' are not singular terms. And it bugs the * out of me needing to cooperate with this nonsense in work projects.

I don't quite get it myself. A young lady (21) that walks by my place stops and chats a bit. She told me she is non-binary (?) and had changed her name to one that was A-****** (?) I just nodded and changed the subject. I did a little research and got the gist of it. When I told my daughter about the girl and said I would have a hard time, at my age, remembering to keep all that together, she said it would be disrespectful if I didn't. I responded and said that I would prefer to be addressed as an evolved primate going forward. Ended that one.
How are we supposed to know what you are talking about if you don't tell us what she said ?

"Welcome, singular “they”

Big changes are afoot! APA endorses the use of “they” as a singular third-person pronoun in the seventh edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. This means it is officially good practice in scholarly writing to use the singular “they.”
This blog post provides insight into how this change came about and provides a forum for questions and feedback.

What is the singular “they”?

The singular “they” is a generic third-person pronoun used in English. It’s not the only third-person singular pronoun—other third-person singular pronouns are “she” and “he” as well as less common options such as “ze” or “hen.”
Although the term singular “they” may be unfamiliar, you’ve probably heard and used the singular “they” in conversation throughout your life. Here is an example:

A person should enjoy their vacation.

The noun in this sentence is “person,” and the pronoun is “their.”
Before the seventh edition, people might have written the aforementioned sentence like this in a scholarly paper:

A person should enjoy his or her vacation.

However, this second sentence presumes that a person uses either the pronoun “he” or the pronoun “she,” which is not necessarily the case. For example, some people use other pronouns, including “they,” “zir,” “ze,” “xe,” “hir,” “per,” “ve,” “ey,” and “hen.”"

3 minute read

https://apastyle.apa.org/blog/singular-they

"Welcome, singular “they”

Big changes are afoot! APA endorses the use of “they” as a singular third-person pronoun in the seventh edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. This means it is officially good practice in scholarly writing to use the singular “they.”
This blog post provides insight into how this change came about and provides a forum for questions and feedback.

What is the singular “they”?

The singular “they” is a generic third-person pronoun used in English. It’s not the only third-person singular pronoun—other third-person singular pronouns are “she” and “he” as well as less common options such as “ze” or “hen.”
Although the term singular “they” may be unfamiliar, you’ve probably heard and used the singular “they” in conversation throughout your life. Here is an example:

A person should enjoy their vacation.

The noun in this sentence is “person,” and the pronoun is “their.”
Before the seventh edition, people might have written the aforementioned sentence like this in a scholarly paper:

A person should enjoy his or her vacation.

However, this second sentence presumes that a person uses either the pronoun “he” or the pronoun “she,” which is not necessarily the case. For example, some people use other pronouns, including “they,” “zir,” “ze,” “xe,” “hir,” “per,” “ve,” “ey,” and “hen.”"

3 minute read

https://apastyle.apa.org/blog/singular-they
I still say it's a load of crap.

“they” as a singular third-person pronoun
Don't plan on making that change myself, too hard to remember.
some people use other pronouns, including “they,” “zir,” “ze,” “xe,” “hir,” “per,” “ve,” “ey,” and “hen.”"
Another change I don't think I will likely make. Years ago I went from Mrs/Miss to Ms, when I was part of the younger generation. I will however keep calling a female chicken a "hen".

If others, probably younger for the most part, want to do this I won't object...

This is kind of related to that thread about the nurse that killed 6 and injured a bunch of people. A lot of people thought it was overkill to mention the fact that she was driving a Mercedes. Why mention the type of car she was driving? Or even that it was a she? Just say "car", and "they" ran a stop light.?

I think it's obvious that the vast majority of people of all political stripes inherently recognize a person as male or female (although it's occasionally difficult to discern). Sure respect those who want to call themselves non-binary or some of these made up gender types, but the reality is that people are either biologically male or female (since forever), with a few rare exceptions.

I think it's obvious that the vast majority of people of all political stripes inherently recognize a person as male or female (although it's occasionally difficult to discern). Sure respect those who want to call themselves non-binary or some of these made up gender types, but the reality is that people are either biologically male or female (since forever), with a few rare exceptions.
Agreed. You cannot change your chromosomes

What does A ******* mean ?
I realized after I replied to your question that my post had been censured. Apparently ******* is a naughty word here. How can I put it so it's not perceived as naughty. I'm a man you're either a woman or a man, don't for sure. It's what most of us identify as to what differentiates us biologically. By the way, I have never been censured, ever, for anything I have ever written. I feel like I stepped out of a time machine into the middle ages. Seriously? A ****** means you don't identify with either ***.

Last edited:
I realized after I replied to your question that my post had been censured. Apparently ******* is a naughty word here. How can I put it so it's not perceived as naughty. I'm a man you're either a woman or a man, don't for sure. It's what most of us identify as to what differentiates us biologically. By the way, I have never been censured, ever, for anything I have ever written. I feel like I stepped out of a time machine into the middle ages. Seriously?
It is automatic so that google bots don't find explicit words and then report the website. SMART!

I realized after I replied to your question that my post had been censured. Apparently ******* is a naughty word here. How can I put it so it's not perceived as naughty. I'm a man you're either a woman or a man, don't for sure. It's what most of us identify as to what differentiates us biologically. By the way, I have never been censured, ever, for anything I have ever written. I feel like I stepped out of a time machine into the middle ages. Seriously?

Oh, my bad I wasn't aware of the censor .

Kind of a shame when we cannot speak as adults ....... I doubt many children hangout here.

Back