About those pronouns, is there already a thread?

Maybe I missed something, where is this coming from?
That's what I'm asking.

What about "you"? Do we use "you" when talking to "them"?

Of all the dopey things that have come down the pike in recent years, the use of they/them ranks right up there with the dopiest.

Why does one feel compelled to declare "them"selves non-binary, polyamorous/whatever other trendy thing...gimme a freaking break. Be what you're gonna be. Who gives a rat's rear? When did it become necessary to publicly broadcast our personal sexual preferences/business/sexual identities?

Good lord! Anybody besides me remember when it was shocking to advertise toilet paper? (Charmin, the tissue that babies your skin.) Now we have bears that wipe their butts on TV, women who poop on commercials. What's next? Um...

I feel discriminated against by being a mere human minding my own business and not feeling that somebody else's business is mine (or caring!).

Eeeeeee nufffff.

That's what I'm asking.

What about "you"? Do we use "you" when talking to "them"?

Of all the dopey things that have come down the pike in recent years, the use of they/them ranks right up there with the dopiest.

Why does one feel compelled to declare "them"selves non-binary, polyamorous/whatever other trendy thing...gimme a freaking break. Be what you're gonna be. Who gives a rat's rear? When did it become necessary to publicly broadcast our personal ****** preferences/business/****** identities?

Good lord! Anybody besides me remember when it was shocking to advertise toilet paper? (Charmin, the tissue that babies your skin.) Now we have bears that wipe their butts on TV, women who poop on commercials. What's next? Um...

I feel discriminated against by being a mere human minding my own business and not feeling that somebody else's business is mine (or caring!).

Eeeeeee nufffff.

Just look the other way, who really cares about what choices other people pick?

Just look the other way, who really cares about what choices other people pick?
For me, it affects my work. One client actually said I was 'sexist' because I didn't use they/them in the material.
It also bugs me when it comes up in news stories: when the pedestrian was in the crosswalk, THEY were hit by a car... after the person was shot, THEY went to the hospital.. etc.
Plus I'm concerned about my little grandkids, and how confusing it might be to them. (them = plural.)

I have no issues with how people choose to define their gender. There are many great trans people out there. With every generation there comes new "things".
Slightly OT, but back in our parents day it was scandalous to see a bi racial couple dating, much less married. So, we have to flow with the times. 50 years from now, people will look back at things we see as normal now and shake their heads. For my parents, i was scandalous that I had black friends (male and female) . My mom went ballistic once when I stopped to talk with a black male classmate on Main Street

For me, it affects my work. One client actually said I was 'sexist' because I didn't use they/them in the material.
It also bugs me when it comes up in news stories: when the pedestrian was in the crosswalk, THEY were hit by a car... after the person was shot, THEY went to the hospital.. etc.
Plus I'm concerned about my little grandkids, and how confusing it might be to them. (them = plural.)
Yes I can understand how frustrating that would make your work. But, I will challenge the idea that IT will affect your grandchildren. Sexuality WILL be expressed. It is too powerful an instinct to suppress. It might not be confusing to them at all. Mores change like everything, and yet somehow we keep making new humans. :)

My husband’s GD is transitioning to male and wants to be identified as male, not they.

IMO, it’s up to each person to choose an identity but don’t force it on someone who you’re just dealing with once. That’s being a bully.

also bugs me when it comes up in news stories: when the pedestrian was in the crosswalk, THEY were hit by a car...
I can understand this if the person hasn’t been identified and the media is expected to not leak any private info.

Big changes are afoot! APA endorses the use of “they” as a singular third-person pronoun
So they’re going to offend the (majority) people who prefer to be referenced by gender.

However if someone makes it clear to me how they want to be addressed, I would try to follow, if I could remember.
This is my philosophy. You wouldn’t believe how hard it is to just remember the new name of the transitioning GC.

@Jules you said "
Paco Dennis said:

Big changes are afoot! APA endorses the use of “they” as a singular third-person pronoun
"So they’re going to offend the (majority) people who prefer to be referenced by gender." How do you know if the "majority" will be offended? Facts please? I doubt that because it is based on scholarly writings, not sensational propaganda that really does confuse the "majority" of people.

Slightly OT, but back in our parents day it was scandalous to see a bi racial couple dating, much less married.
Not just our parents day, most of us can remember when that was still illegal in many Southern states.

I remember at about age 12 seeing an interracial couple on a motorcycle in Louisiana. They drew a lot of disapproving looks and comments that I saw, probably worse elsewhere...

Last edited:
I don't quite get it myself. A young lady (21) that walks by my place stops and chats a bit. She told me she is non-binary (?) and had changed her name to one that was A-****** (?) I just nodded and changed the subject. I did a little research and got the gist of it. When I told my daughter about the girl and said I would have a hard time, at my age, remembering to keep all that together, she said it would be disrespectful if I didn't. I responded and said that I would prefer to be addressed as an evolved primate going forward. Ended that one.
What does A-****** mean?

I recently tried to read a book (light hearted fiction) where one of the minor characters was introduced as non-binary and that was my introduction into the Pronoun Muddle. The plot got lost in the mechanics of trying to decipher how many people were involved and who was saying/doing what to whom and why. Decent storyline but not worth the effort so I gave up half way through.

I'm sorry but the words 'they' or 'them' will always signify more than one person to me. I'm sorry if someone is confused about their own gender - it must be a very unpleasant situation - but don't be offended if I don't cater to their confusion.

I recently changed doctors, and was sent some forms to fill out. I was asked to inform them if I preferred to be called He, She, Binary, etc. And asked how I identify; male, female, and some others that I couldn't understand. It's so confusing, it really is. I have also heard new terms for intimate preferences, like cisgendered. I looked it up but still don't understand. Why must we be identified by our most private activity preferences?

Not just our parents day, most of us can remember when that was still illegal in many Southern states.

I remember at about age 12 seeing an interracial couple on a motorcycle in Louisiana. They drew a lot of disapproving looks and comments that I saw, probably worse elsewhere...
And really, once again, becoming what's acceptable to many. We are devolving in regards to our humanities.

Back