Aging in Place - Have you made preparations?

Thank you for your opinion…..means a great deal to me…..as well as opinions of others.
I’m a planner and an organizer…..I need that in my life…..and I set this prior time period for myself, just like you stated…..waiting to the last minute, and being overwhelmed is not for me.
I hope you’re able to plan for yourself and your husband in a workable and stressless manor.
Good luck in your future decisions.
Like you, I'm a planner and organizer. It's the only way I can feel comfortable. And I admire you for taking such a proactive approach to your future, securing it in a lovely location that is affordable to you and will be a wonderful place for the next phase of your life.

As I said, I go back and forth constantly. I have researched a number of retirement communities, all within a few hundred miles of where I currently live. Affordability is one issue and the other is the finality of it. I take that to mean that it's not yet time for me to make the decision but when I will need to make it, I'll will hopefully know what's best for me.

I just returned from my trip to Florida to visit my 88 year old mother (and celebrate her birthday). She lives alone, has difficulty walking due to both her knees are shot, and she uses a cane and small walker when needed. However, she is quite independent and can cook and wash, and her mind is still sharp. She has several friends who have helped her out in the past. I was only there for 3 weeks, and I did as much as I could to help her - she doesn't drive. Took her to the hair salon, her doctor's appointments, dentist appointment, etc. She kept asking what should she do for the future? Should she stay in her home, or move in with my sister who is a few minutes away? I told her to stay in her home as long as she can. I also offered for her to move in with me, but the first thing she said was "Your house has a lot of steps." Many changes would have to take place in order for my mom to move in with me.

That got me to thinking - I plan to stay in my house for the rest of my life. Is my house ready for me? I started reading up on "Aging in place" where you ready/renovate your house for the future. It would cost me around $9,000 - 20,000 to make the changes.....depending on what I want to do.

Has anyone done this to their house? If so, how much did it cost and are you satisfied with the results?
Your idea sounds good. I'm not the best to know how to advise otherwise.

Like you, I'm a planner and organizer. It's the only way I can feel comfortable. And I admire you for taking such a proactive approach to your future, securing it in a lovely location that is affordable to you and will be a wonderful place for the next phase of your life.

As I said, I go back and forth constantly. I have researched a number of retirement communities, all within a few hundred miles of where I currently live. Affordability is one issue and the other is the finality of it. I take that to mean that it's not yet time for me to make the decision but when I will need to make it, I'll will hopefully know what's best for me.
Thank you for sharing Leann, and for your encouragement.
Like you said, when it’s time to set future plans for yourself, you will know when it’s the right time.
I consider myself very fortunate to have the equity to enter into this kind of life style.
Being that I’m alone in this world, I know this is the right choice for me.
My depression has played a part in this decision…..in the last year, I’ve felt things unravel in the wrong direction.
I’m not a social butterfly, so I think this kind of community will be good for me.
And, being in this location, which is only an hour away, I will enjoy many things I’m not able to here…..for example….dog shows, trials and agility…..horticultural events…..and just hearing more life than I hear, here.
Thank you Leann……I hope that your future plans go in the direction you are wanting.

My cousin, who has MS, can't walk, is in a wheelchair, plans to age in place. He says he will never live in a nursing home. I grok that because I will never live in a nursing home either (unless someone sticks me in one because I'm in a coma).

His house was built in 1860, and it is all set with modifications. He recently bought a stairlift, not for himself, but in case I have trouble walking up the stairs. He is a very thoughtful person, although I hope I never need the stairlift (they move too slowly for me).

He hasn't been upstairs in his house for 5 or 6 years, so I suspect he'll try to find a way to use that chairlift. He has what he calls "a meat hook", which picks him up and deposits him somewhere else. I'm not familiar with these contraptions, and I wonder if it will help him to be able to use the chair lift.

It must be very frustrating for this formerly super-active man to be going through this. But you'd never know it because he is always cheerful and his house is "a happy place".

People who are in reasonably good shape physically and mentally can continue living on their own, if that's their preference. And of course, these decisions are not necessarily "final;" people may make different decisions later.

The main problem that I am aware of is steps. Anyone in that age bracket still living on their own should be in a condo, or a one-level house. Living and raising a family in multi-level houses was never a problem for me. I galloped up and down the stairs with the best of them, never giving it a thought. Now, I'm glad to be in a one-level condo. And I'm not even disabled. Stairs are dangerous to the elderly, especially if they are living alone.

People who are in reasonably good shape physically and mentally can continue living on their own, if that's their preference. And of course, these decisions are not necessarily "final;" people may make different decisions later.

The main problem that I am aware of is steps. Anyone in that age bracket still living on their own should be in a condo, or a one-level house. Living and raising a family in multi-level houses was never a problem for me. I galloped up and down the stairs with the best of them, never giving it a thought. Now, I'm glad to be in a one-level condo. And I'm not even disabled. Stairs are dangerous to the elderly, especially if they are living alone.
Very true. Unfortunately, around here and too many other places if a senior wants to live in something other than a tiny apartment, about the only affordable option is a mobile home in a park. And mobile homes all have to be accessed by steps or a ramp or a lift. Most parks around here won't allow a ramp to be put in since there usually isn't enough space for the ramp to be long enough to be safe. (Some people try installing the ramp anyway, but when my dad tried this, the ramp contractor wouldn't do it, was afraid of being fined or losing his license.) So then you have to get a home stair lift, which I hear you can buy good used ones since they're made so well but that is still money you have to spend. And most mobile home parks around here are far away--in some cases, miles & miles--from any stores, etc., I guess since that's where to open land is to put a park in. So then once you can no longer drive, that also becomes an issue.

Very true. Unfortunately, around here and too many other places if a senior wants to live in something other than a tiny apartment, about the only affordable option is a mobile home in a park. And mobile homes all have to be accessed by steps or a ramp or a lift. Most parks around here won't allow a ramp to be put in since there usually isn't enough space for the ramp to be long enough to be safe. (Some people try installing the ramp anyway, but when my dad tried this, the ramp contractor wouldn't do it, was afraid of being fined or losing his license.) So then you have to get a home stair lift, which I hear you can buy good used ones since they're made so well but that is still money you have to spend. And most mobile home parks around here are far away--in some cases, miles & miles--from any stores, etc., I guess since that's where to open land is to put a park in. So then once you can no longer drive, that also becomes an issue.
That "ramp contractor" should have suggested a ramp style that would fit. Like one that goes down half way to a small landing where you do a 180 and go down the rest of the way. Try another contractor, Officer. Wouldn't hurt to have a real one check it out.

That "ramp contractor" should have suggested a ramp style that would fit. Like one that goes down half way to a small landing where you do a 180 and go down the rest of the way. Try another contractor, Officer. Wouldn't hurt to have a real one check it out.
Thanks, anyway, Murrmurr but my dad has passed away. He did contact a real contractor; he contacted a licensed one recommended to him by the one company here in town that sells chair lifts and does chair lift/van conversions, etc. Dad said when the contractor said sorry, not enough room to put in a long-enough-to-be-safe ramp, never be able to get a permit for it. (I kind of suspect that the park management may not have agreed to the 180-landing you spoke of; a lot of the parks around here are so strict, one park even at one time said no ramps or chair lifts at all; I think somebody got the ADA after 'em; I notice their ad no longer says that.)

Anyway, Dad told the contractor hey do we really need to worry about the permit, I won't tell anybody if you don't. And the guy said he really didn't want to do anything without a permit; that he'd known of contractors who had lost their licenses or got fined because how it usually happens, he said is: somebody goes to the county to get a permit to put in a ramp, for instance. County comes out and says, nope not enough room for a safe ramp. Homeowner says, how come that guy over there's got one; he doesn't have any more room than I do. County inspector says, Hmm that's a good question, and goes over and knocks on the ramp owner's door and says 3 things: 1) You never applied for a permit for this so you'll be fined; 2) Since we never would've issued a permit for this since it's unsafe, you need to get it removed by such-and-such a date and there'll be a fine of $whatever a day after that date 'till it is removed; and last but not least 3) who put this in for you? So the contractor had said he'd seen that happen a lot here so that's why he wouldn't attempt it. (My late stepdad was a building contractor and said that this county was the worst one he'd ever had to work with.)

I have a brother who lives in a 2 story house, with his bedroom and bathroom both upstairs. He is very active, but he can't expect to do those stairs forever, can he?? he just laughs at me when i visit him and can't handle the stairs multiple times a day.

It is very hard to find homes in Canada with no basement. Doctor told me 40 years ago to stay off stairs, yeah right (sarcasm). 17 years ago we bought a very nice mobile home in a senior park. 3 steps and now a ramp. We love it, however it is now too much for DH to keep up with the maintenance. So we are hiring people to do those jobs for us, but I don't know how long we can do that . We may have to go into an old folks home.

We have had 9 homes in 4 states, but never had a basement. What I miss is having a garage. At 88, I still like to tinker once in a while.

If you research "Universal design" there is quite a lot of useful information available.

I'm revisiting this thread because I saw something today that I want to share with you -
The Stiltz home elevator - I saw this video first:

Then I went onto the Stiltz website and found this information:
Residential Elevators and Home Elevators by Stiltz Lifts USA

Has anyone dealt with these elevators or this company? It really sounds inviting. My house has a lot of stairs - stairs going to the front door and stairs for each floor. An elevator positioned in the garage (able to enter house and floors) could make life easier in the future, if needed. I really want this to work, because I read it is cheaper to age in place rather than go to a nursing home.

Edited: I resubmitted the link, because the first time it didn't work.

7 years ago we moved from the hills of North Carolina to flat farmland of Southern Illinois to be near our daughter...
Bought 3 lots in small town of 1200 people..and a small single mobile home...porch included.
my husband built large ramp entryway...and there's little to no yard maintenance.
my husband died yesterday morning...before dawn..
our daughter and son in law were here day and night to care for him...
i look at all the preparations he made..
i can stay here a while..although the house is very empty of his voice and presence.

7 years ago we moved from the hills of North Carolina to flat farmland of Southern Illinois to be near our daughter...
Bought 3 lots in small town of 1200 people..and a small single mobile home...porch included.
my husband built large ramp entryway...and there's little to no yard maintenance.
my husband died yesterday morning...before dawn..
our daughter and son in law were here day and night to care for him...
i look at all the preparations he made..
i can stay here a while..although the house is very empty of his voice and presence.
Oh my. My condolences on the loss of your husband.

This may be a good time to think of moving to a home that will suit a retirement lifestyle. There may be reasons you want to stay in your home/location and those should be weighed against what your life will be like in your sunsetting years.
If you are going to get the renovations done, better to get them done now because 1) prices will be going up, 2) tradesmen will be harder to find in the future, 3) cost of materials is only increasing (which is only part of #1).

Don't know your circumstances, but you may be able to sell your existing home and either use the equity to buy a retirement home outright, or take the equity and put it towards your retirement funds and generate some steady income.

Back