Am I the only one that would like a senior forum such as this with

I use facetime with my family. That's all. I remember when I first heard of "video chat" (circa 1980?).

Here's my cautionary tale:LOL::oops:...I had a new Dell computer in the 80's and just learning. I was curious so I went to a social site with a "video cam". I didn't join or sign up. I just thought I was observing conversations incognito.

Apparently I was sitting higher than my Dell computer screen (do they still sell Dells?...no laptops back then with tilting screens) because someone said "Nice nightgown". They could only see my upper torso, no head. I waited for someone else to respond as I thought they were chatting amongst themselves...but no one did. Another comment was made about it and then I realized it was me they were talking about.

I freaked out and shut off the computer. Never again did I ever try video chat nor do I have any desire. It's just too personal in a room of strangers. Yes, we get to know a few members well and make some friends we trust here in SF but new strangers always come...and in a video chat room any new stranger can view you and your surroundings. That's a little creepy don't you think? Maybe it's different now than in the 80's and maybe everyone is somehow screened....but I doubt it.
Look at it from a positive standpoint, Lara, at least you had a "nice nightgown" on. LOL!

No, I wouldn't be interested either. I've never done zoom or a video chat with anyone, even members of my family. The first computer I ever had with a camera was my laptop, which I immediately covered with tape. When I got my smartphone, not that long ago, I disabled the app that allows camera view of the user.

Right now, I'm an old guy, sitting here unshaven, un bathed, uncombed, in my underwear. You really want a picture of that?
I can't imagine there being anything worth viewing with a bunch of old folks. There's nothing of any value here to steal that I'm really gonna care about that much. So not sure what they'd be looking for. Unless perverts get their kicks outta watching old farts in their underwear. LOL

I have to ask you all!!

Now be honest, how many of you would want to repeated look at my absolutely handsome face every time you logged on?
Ladies would be swooning all over the place, and those that don't swoon instead would wink at me in a very saucy manner, blokes would be punching their screens, jealous of my rugged looks, people would be emailing me from all over the world for my autograph, large companies would be paying me millions to put my face on their products, Hollywood Movie Studios would be content to queue up for my services.......

"""""""YAWNNNNNNNNN"""""""PHARRRRRRT"""""""""YAWNNNNNNN""""""

Y'know what, I've just had the most weird dream... 😊

It seems, from reading these responses, that many of you are concerned with the way you would look on camera, or needing to be “camera ready” whatever that would mean to each of you individually.

I guess that part of the reason I don’t have a problem having a web cam type forum is that I’m not focused on my appearance when I take a FaceTime call or participate in. Zoom get together. I get FaceTime calls or zoom meeting requests all the time and unless it’s a formal client meeting that has been scheduled, I just answer with no thought to how I look or what I’m wearing. I mean, as long as I’m not naked, I just don’t care.

I don’t know if that makes me weird or what. 🤷‍♀️ I’m not a vain person, so that might play. I’m also secure enough in who I am that it’s not MY problem if someone is going to judge me on appearance or the way my house looks in the background or whatever.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no censure for anyone who isn’t comfortable with it, but as one of the few here who doesn’t have a problem I wanted to expand a little on my thoughts as to why.

We have a high speed satellite connection. I have tried Zoom many times and my good Win 10 laptop pops a message up "The internet connection is unstable". So I have to set it to no picture or audio, and just use the chat feature. I like this forum's functioning, and seems even though we can't see or hear each other we are communicating better than any forum I have been on. It's the age thing I guess. :)

It seems, from reading these responses, that many of you are concerned with the way you would look on camera, or needing to be “camera ready” whatever that would mean to each of you individually.

I guess that part of the reason I don’t have a problem having a web cam type forum is that I’m not focused on my appearance when I take a FaceTime call or participate in. Zoom get together. I get FaceTime calls or zoom meeting requests all the time and unless it’s a formal client meeting that has been scheduled, I just answer with no thought to how I look or what I’m wearing. I mean, as long as I’m not naked, I just don’t care.

I don’t know if that makes me weird or what. 🤷‍♀️ I’m not a vain person, so that might play. I’m also secure enough in who I am that it’s not MY problem if someone is going to judge me on appearance or the way my house looks in the background or whatever.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no censure for anyone who isn’t comfortable with it, but as one of the few here who doesn’t have a problem I wanted to expand a little on my thoughts as to why.
Well Ronni there are perverts out there who use any excuse to draw people into it. I can't bear the thought of another possible "showing" of the bits. LOL

My forum patterns aren't conducive to video-cam communication. Most mornings I visit SF for an hour or two with still-damp hair and may be sporting a cozy, well-worn sweatshirt to ward off the early morning chill. I stay quiet because hubby and the dog are still sleeping.

It's time for me to sip coffee and eventually munch some breakfast while my desktop's two screens display news, SF threads, text messages, business and personal emails and whatever else floats my boat. As an indulgence to my ADHD tendencies, I zip around with no regard to order or discipline. I go where my impulses direct me and the cyber winds blow.

Here's the thing. SF threads are marvelously undemanding. Some I respond to immediately, others percolate through my brain for a while, perhaps I do a little researching and editing before responding - some I let float right past me without reacting, others I simply "like" and go forward.

No need to look presentable (to use my mother's word), excuse myself when getting more coffee, hitting the bathroom, letting the dog out, managing a chore, chatting up my husband, taking a call, or any one of the hundreds of life's interruptions that come up.

These may not the politest ways to have in-person or video conversations, but work well for forum threads.

I treasure Senior Forums, not only for the people on here but because the rhythm of communication is so freeing. We come here anonymously, show up when we want for as long as we choose, answer what strikes us as interesting, ignore threads or people who irritate or don't interest us, and then move on with our days.

Suits me just fine. I have plenty of non-cyber relationships to fill other needs.

Back