And the shootings go on and on , and on, and on...

Fault ? I never mentioned fault. It was standard issue weapons that they had. It was that very issue that changed the standard.
And so what? I don't get your point. The gangsters outshot the police with Thompson machine guns. If automatics weren't banned for civilians, they would still have them.

Yeah....I've heard that drivel many times - someone leaves their country & goes through a lot of hassle & expense to live here, then they'll talk about how much better things were in their original country. I can't figure out why they don't realize how stupid they sound.

Well.......a-bit OT here but what the hell.

There was a time when immigrants came to America , to be/become, American. Not just to reap our benefits. Now days it seems reaping what they can is all they care to do. And on top of that it seems they want America to follow the ways of their ex homeland, they want us to conform to their ways. ...........I refuse to !

Where is it that we do not have background checks ? I favor them, they make sense , but they are already in place. So what are the ones that you keep calling for ?
Universal background checks are not in force. You can buy a semi automatic rifle privately or from a relative and no background checks are required. That's how the last perp got one after being turned down for a background check, through a private sale.

Even the ones that are in effect now are opposed by the gun lobby as infringing on the Second Amendment.

The recent shooting in and around Odessa, Texas, is shining new light on an old problem: In some states, a person barred from owning a gun under the law can still buy one in a private sale, without a background check.
The West Texas shooter, Seth Ator, 36, failed a background check when he tried to purchase a gun in 2014, because he had been deemed "a mental defective" by a judge, according to law enforcement sources. He was later able to buy a gun from a private seller. He killed seven people and wounded 25 others on August 31 before being apprehended and killed by the police in a shootout. The person who sold Ator his gun is being investigated as an unlicensed dealer, according to a law enforcement source.

And so what? I don't get your point. The gangsters outshot the police with Thompson machine guns. If automatics weren't banned for civilians, they would still have them.

?? I don't get your point.......The police were out-gunned, but better weapons were available in the gun store . Using those leveled the field & gave the police a fighting chance. Had the public/civilian gun store not been there, with those weapons...........the good guys might have lost the battle.

Universal background checks are not in force. You can buy a semi automatic rifle privately or from a relative and no background checks are required. That's how the last perp got one after being turned down for a background check, through a private sale.

Even the ones that are in effect now are opposed by the gun lobby as infringing on the Second Amendment.

The recent shooting in and around Odessa, Texas, is shining new light on an old problem: In some states, a person barred from owning a gun under the law can still buy one in a private sale, without a background check.
The West Texas shooter, Seth Ator, 36, failed a background check when he tried to purchase a gun in 2014, because he had been deemed "a mental defective" by a judge, according to law enforcement sources. He was later able to buy a gun from a private seller. He killed seven people and wounded 25 others on August 31 before being apprehended and killed by the police in a shootout. The person who sold Ator his gun is being investigated as an unlicensed dealer, according to a law enforcement source.

Well, for now I will oppose background checks in private sales.

What do you mean “apprehended and killed?” Was he in custody when killed by the police?

Good lets start with universal background checks. Are you in favor? The NRA who represent the gun lobby of America are against. How can a background check turn you into a helpless victim?

Now watch, They won't work, yada, yada, yada.
I see nothing wrong with background checks. I'm in California, where I have to pass a detailed background check for each gun purchase. But we have to realize that background checks cannot prevent someone from obtaining a gun privately - legally or illegally.
I'm not concerned with the NRA; I'm not a member. My only concern is my family's safety & mine.

?? I don't get your point.......The police were out-gunned, but better weapons were available in the gun store . Using those leveled the field & gave the police a fighting chance. Had the public/civilian gun store not been there, with those weapons...........the good guys might have lost the battle.
Don't get my point? Can you as a civilian buy an automatic rifle legally from a gun shop? If better weapons were available in a gun shop, so what?

I see nothing wrong with background checks. I'm in California, where I have to pass a detailed background check for each gun purchase. But we have to realize that background checks cannot prevent someone from obtaining a gun privately - legally or illegally.
I'm not concerned with the NRA; I'm not a member. My only concern is my family's safety & mine.
The NRA lobbies against background checks. Your families safety and yours is in jeopardy when you go out in public.

The NRA lobbies against background checks. Your families safety and yours is in jeopardy when you go out in public.

If you are referring to HR-8, yes, the NRA lobbied against it for this section alone.
"It shall be unlawful for any person who is not a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not so licensed, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection ".
Translation... you as a private citizen who has legally purchased a firearm may not sell it to anyone unless you become a licensed FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer. If you're going to blame the NRA, get all the facts first. Geeez.

If you are referring to HR-8, yes, the NRA lobbied against it for this section alone.
"It shall be unlawful for any person who is not a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not so licensed, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection ".
Translation... you as a private citizen who has legally purchased a firearm may not sell it to anyone unless you become a licensed FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer. If you're going to blame the NRA, get all the facts first. Geeez.
I got it right. I said the NRA lobbies against background checks. What good are background checks if someone who is turned down can buy a gun privately. That just happened in Texas and he went out and committed a mass murder.

Camper, I guess that's where you and I are different. You prefer to be the sheep being herded, while I prefer to blaze my own trail. Thus the reason you're there, and I'm here. Be well. :)
Funny. I don't feel I am being herded at all.
On the contrary you are a slave to the wishes and foibles of the NRA. Talk about being sheep.

You may not be a member but you follow suit and support them or you wouldn't be posting what you just did.
You are kidding yourself if you think you are blazing your own trail.

Don't get my point? Can you as a civilian buy an automatic rifle legally from a gun shop? If better weapons were available in a gun shop, so what?

Automatic ? No, semi auto ? yes, after passing a background check.

If the better weapons were not available there, the police officers would not have had the chance to acquire them & fight back as they did.
If the store were not permitted to sell them, the store would have had only single-shot , pistols, etc. The same thing the police already had.

Why are you not getting that ?

Automatic ? No, semi auto ? yes, after passing a background check.

If the better weapons were not available there, the police officers would not have had the chance to acquire them & fight back as they did.
If the store were not permitted to sell them, the store would have had only single-shot , pistols, etc. The same thing the police already had.

Why are you not getting that ?
Look. The police primarily have handguns. As far as I am concerned they are always outgunned by a semi automatic short barrel rifle with a large magazine. Your point doesn't make sense. The weapons were available to the police obviously. They just didn't have them. It can happen anytime even now. There was no way they could stop the shooter in Las Vegas with a revolver against the arsenal Paddock had from the ground. I'm trying but I can't get your point. If the guns were available to the police, then they were available to the shooter. So then if they were not available to either what would be the outcome?

The second amendment was ratified as it was so that we [the new nation] could repel an attack on an equal basis toward any enemy seeking to attack us.

Moving forward, we must maintain an equal, better yet a leading edge in this day. Hence the need for the firearms you note.
Rgp.
The new nation did not have a standing army and they do now. I doubt the U.S. with the largest military in the world would rely on civilians to repel an attack.
Hence you don't need military style weapons.

Look. The police primarily have handguns. As far as I am concerned they are always outgunned by a semi automatic short barrel rifle with a large magazine. Your point doesn't make sense. The weapons were available to the police obviously. They just didn't have them. It can happen anytime even now. There was no way they could stop the shooter in Las Vegas with a revolver against the arsenal Paddock had from the ground. I'm trying but I can't get your point. If the guns were available to the police, then they were available to the shooter. So then if they were not available to either what would be the outcome?

Well, first place it was Los Angles....Not Vegas, The better weapons were not standard issue to the police at the time.

"The weapons were available to the police obviously."

Only during mob actions / swat call outs etc.......Not during day-to-day patrol.

The store owner was glad to hand them the 'equalizing' weapons when they were being attacked .

And again, it really is none of your business, how we deal with anything. I wish you well, in your country doing things your way.

Someone needs to figure out how to prevent this so
We've done this to death- gun violence. I was going to talk about the 10, who were wounded yesterday, but now , another mass shooting, there are more dead and wounded. only moments ago. We have a monstrous hurricaine bearing down on the US. But this holiday weekend, more people will meet death at the end of a barrel of a gun than in an Act of God. We are the ones killing ourselves. We've had over 30 years of mass shootings. And for everyday we stick our heads in the sand, and look the other way, waiting for our anger to vanish, the death toll piles up. How many more men, women and children have to be needlessly sacrificed before, we actually do something about it.
BTW, I meant to write this- what- at least 5 shootings ago.
I hope someone is studying the common denominators and looking for ways to prevent it.

As a curiosity, have any of our gun owners attended a meeting of the "well regulated" militia in their area lately? I own a couple of handguns but have never been able to locate my local militia group, let alone attend any drills.

Sounds like horse-sh-t to me when folks trot out the militia stories from the 1700's.

Back