Another house that looks promising

Realtors stage houses so people can picture them with furniture. Rarely are brand new houses shown without some staging. Gives them a sense of what it would be like to live there.

Most people have little imagination. If you show them a house with crowded old furniture, tacky wallpaper and loads of knickknacks, they find it almost impossible to see past that stuff. That's why realtors tell people to ditch at least half their furniture and remove the clutter before listing the house.

Deb, have you had your house appraised to see what it will fetch on the market, what you need to do to get it sale-worthy, what's involved with selling it, etc., or is your househunting mostly academic?

It's ok with me if it's mostly an interesting pastime for you. I'll be happy to play along. Just want to know where you're really at with it.

Deb, have you had your house appraised to see what it will fetch on the market, what you need to do to get it sale-worthy, what's involved with selling it, etc., or is your househunting mostly academic?

It's ok with me if it's mostly an interesting pastime for you. I'll be happy to play along. Just want to know where you're really at with it.
Not answering for Deb, but I think it’s been established that her house needs to be bulldozed, and the land sold.

Can you get a mortgage for a new house without selling your present one? It makes a big difference to sellers to not be accepting an offer knowing it could all fall through. Character homes take a while to sell.

I don't need a mortgage. It will be a cash deal, so no need to wait for approval or getting pre-qualified. I could vety well buy a house before selling my current one, but I don't want to end up owning two houses and paying utilities and insurance while it sits on the market.

I don't need a mortgage. It will be a cash deal, so no need to wait for approval or getting pre-qualified. I could vety well buy a house before selling my current one, but I don't want to end up owning two houses and paying utilities and insurance while it sits on the market.
She got dem chips. 😁

Not answering for Deb, but I think it’s been established that her house needs to be bulldozed, and the land sold.
Or she could get the bull dozed material dozed into the basement, as a base for a cement slab to be poured to accommodate a prefab or modular home that meets her needs.

Stopping the sewage, water, & electricity bills & no home insurance until ready to move in could be an option.

Or she could get the bull dozed material dozed into the basement, as a base for a cement slab to be poured to accommodate a prefab or modular home that meets her needs.

Stopping the sewage, water, & electricity bills & no home insurance until ready to move in could be an option.
I agree, good ideal!

I don’t know which is worse.

Selling and not being able to find any to buy; often panic decisions are made.

or, buying and not be able sell. If you’re monthly fees can be minimized, this might not be too bad. If you weren’t earning too much money from the money sitting in the bank, I wouldn’t panic.

We experienced that first scenario once and it creates too much pressure, IMO.

One thing I can't do is be pressured. It would kill a deal for me. That's one thing that's a big turn off lately is the realtors saying 'This house will sell fast." It's like they want me to make a quick decision or it house will be snapped up.

Whenever I've thought about moving the first thing I've done is gather facts. If I were considering moving now, I'd attack it in the following order:

1. What's my current house likely to sell for? Get a rough idea from Zillow, then get appraisals from two local realtors.
2. How fast are homes selling in my area? Zillow and Realtor.com show how many days they are on the market.
3. Where do I want to move, and why? Downsizing, more convenient location, less maintenance, better suited to aging in place, modern plumbing, heating and electrical, and so forth, might be among them. Make a list of "must haves."
4. How much are homes selling for in my target area?
5. How quickly are those homes selling?

The first two answers will tell you if moving is even feasible. If realtors say your house will likely only fetch $100K but you know you won't accept under $200K, then the rest is a waste of time.

One thing I can't do is be pressured. It would kill a deal for me. That's one thing that's a big turn off lately is the realtors saying 'This house will sell fast." It's like they want me to make a quick decision or it house will be snapped up.
Agree with not falling for that type of pressure. The type I was talking about was selling your house first and then not being able to find anything else easily.

If realtors say your house will likely only fetch $100K but you know you won't accept under $200K, then the rest is a waste of time.
Or you have to accept the true value of your house.

It depends if you really want to move.

You know you don't want a high school across the street. You know you don't wan't a low income development behind you.

I'm going stir-crazy too deb. What other reason could you have?

Back