Another house that looks promising

Some people might be okay with that. I've delivered meals to people in the development. It was always quite while I was there. The school might be a problem with heavy traffic on school days. I pass by many times and there's always buses and vehicles coming and going there. An aerial view showing the house location relationship to the high school and the Riverwood Apratments development.

hudson.jpg

School across the road... don't have to look any further, that would be an outright no...for me
You don't like it when they goof around your sidewalk, passing cigarettes, playfully tossing each other down on your lawn, your hedges, your trees? Shouting, screaming with joy that school is over for the day?

Neither would I.

You don't like it when they goof around your sidewalk, passing cigarettes, playfully tossing each other down on your lawn, your hedges, your trees? Shouting, screaming with joy that school is over for the day?

Neither would I.
Not just once a day either, morning, afternoon and going home time ... and further to that all the noise from the school at break-times... you'd never get any peace sitting in the garden (yard) on a sunny day

The real estate agent I contacted about it said it went "Sale Pending" just this morning. Houses are being snapped up within a week of going on the market. I wasn't aware that this town was a place everyone was flocking to.

Last edited:
I'd love to get rid of this money pit, but first I have to find another residence that suits me, and right now those are far between. When I do find one, there's always something wrong. The Brickyard Rd house had a big housing development going in just down the street, the yellow ranch on Hudson Ave had a septic system problem. The gray house on Hudson was in worse shape than what I have now. The latest was between the high school and a low-income apartment complex. Apparently these other homes are being snapped up by people that aren't as fussy as I am.

If the house were in any other location, it would be great for you. Laundry facilities on the main floor is key.

The people purchasing may have kids and this is an ideal location for them. Wouldn’t be for me either.

Apparently these other homes are being snapped up by people that aren't as fussy as I am.

The housing market in smaller communities/rural areas is surging. The combination of fears over this Corona Virus, plus more and more people able to work at home, is causing a lot of people to rethink their need to live in a large city. As a result, housing in many of these less populated areas is being sold fairly quick. It seems that a lot of people are willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience, and/or moderate home repairs so they can get away from the issues in many of our cities.

I've asked before but Deb never replied. The question I asked was because several posters have asked about homes located in other states.

My question was. Deb why are you locked into only looking for a home in either Mechanicville or Stillwater NY. ?

You are willing to pay over 200k for a home when in another state there are properties like this for sale.
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/215-Blenck-St_Johnstown_PA_15904_M44908-30607

Even if the home needed some work done on it the price differential still leaves you with a sizeable nest egg. As seen in the pics the lot size gives you space between homes plus there is room for your collectibles..

Of course I understand you have no obligation to reply.

Maybe if people are accustomed to the hustle and bustle of a large urban area, living across from a high school in the boondocks wouldn't be any hardship. I go ballistic if my neighbors have a noisy backyard party. It's all what you're used to.
I think you have had a very isolated life by choice. Like many of us, you are very settled in your ways which is fine. I am settled in my ways as well, most older people are, IMO. But you did not take care of of your house over the years. I take very good care of my house, and have improved on every house I have owned.

Even brand new builds need work. You enjoy looking at other houses, and thinking about buying a new house, and talking about buying a new house, but you are not going to buy one, IMO. Otherwise you would have. You’ve lived in this house, as I understand it, all your life.

It is a love-hate relationship, IMO. Cause if you loved the house, you would have kept it up. It’s almost like you are punishing the house, for whatever you might be unhappy about. It is hard for us all to understand why, since you have the money, you don’t fix it. I, for one, would like to know why you did not take care of your house.

Why, since you love where you live, don’t you tear this old nasty wreck of a house down, and build a new house on the lot? Why don’t you have a house, designed to your needs-both current and future-built on the lot you love?

I have lived in KS, AL, CO, IN, WI, IL, and mostly in CA until we moved to UT. In Ut, I lived 35 years in one town, in one house, then four years in a close by town, in one house, and now back to the town I lived in for 35 years, in another old money pit house.

All houses are money pits, some more than others. I like the town, I am in. I know my way around it. Everything I need, except doctor and hospital, are within walking distance. I get why you want to stay on your area. But I could not live in a house in the shape your house is in.

Why do you keep living in this house? @debodun

I always have the nagging thought that in buying another house, I'll be going from the frying pan into the fire. And who would buy my house?
From what you have described you would be lucky if one day you were out shopping & a fire destroyed the home you have called a disaster. Who knows you might get a decent insurance payment. That is if you spend money to insure your home.

I always have the nagging thought that in buying another house, I'll be going from the frying pan into the fire. And who would buy my house?
If you were willing to take a realistic amount offered to you, there may be someone willing to take humpty dumpty money pit from you. You alone, decide on that. Either you really want to get rid of it OR subconsciously, you love living there in its dilapidated condition. We can keep talking, you won't budge...why punish yourself lady?

You cling to analysis paralysis. You've gone this far Deb, believe in yourself that you will find the house for you. Nothing in life is perfect, if it was.... make sure you're still alive!!! 😚 Don't you have a confidant who's got your back? Talk to him/her hoping to find clarity on this subject going on for several months now. Life is for the living, live it to the fullest.

Deb, have you ever looked at these two critical issues for making a decision on your home:

1. Have an estimate from a credible renovation company (or 2) for the updating needed to
bring your house up to good "live in" code... "able to realistically sell" standard.

2. After you get #1, then compare that to the value of the neighborhood you live in. Is the
neighborhood worth the renovation?

You now have your answer. If your neighborhood isn't worth the house updating then the
only reason you would want update it is to be able to live in it for years.

Demolishing the house and putting in a new build would therefore be a financially losing proposition,
unless of course you just want to live in that neighborhood enough to do it "anyway".

So, have you had ab realistic rehab estimate and compared it with the "value added" relationship to
your neighborhood?

Adding to Liberty & StarSong’s comments, when the time comes that something goes wrong ( e.g. you can’t drive), is your present home in an easy proximity to doctors, hospitals, stores. If you remodelled your present home, will everything be one one floor - bedroom, Washer/dryer, easy access shower/tub, a safe kitchen. You have to plan for anything and everything. This may not make it more saleable later. A young couple or flipper won’t be interested in these details.

When you look at new houses, find something with everything you need for now & the future.

The housing market in smaller communities/rural areas is surging. The combination of fears over this Corona Virus, plus more and more people able to work at home, is causing a lot of people to rethink their need to live in a large city. As a result, housing in many of these less populated areas is being sold fairly quick. It seems that a lot of people are willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience, and/or moderate home repairs so they can get away from the issues in many of our cities.
Absolutely. It’s definitely a sellers market in rural areas. People in cities are scrambling to get out of cities due to the pandemic
It is hard for us all to understand why, since you have the money, you don’t fix it. I, for one, would like to know why you did not take care of your house.

Why do you keep living in this house? @debodun
I know you have me on ignore but I DO understand it. No I’m not a professional counsellor, nor am I pretending to be but in my opinion, it has everything to do with a money obsession.

People who worship money to this extent have a warped sense of the value of money. Instead of using money to get the things they desire or want, their obsession gets in the way. The accumulation of money and things becomes their primary goal which they can’t let go of.

My parents had the same obsession. In the end they had more money than they knew what to do with and a house so full of stuff, it was deemed unsafe to live in. When they started going senile, my father truly believed he could take it with him.

It’s a very sad, self defeating way to live. Unfortunately they didn’t set up a POA who had their best interests so didn’t get the care they needed when they needed it most , and their much worshipped money did NOT serve them well at all.

It was a very difficult thing to witness. They had the money get the best care available to them but that never happened and I’ll leave it at that. I didn’t need a degree to figure out that my parents worshipped money over anything else.

People who worship money to this extent have a warped sense of the value of money. Instead of using money to get the things they desire or want, their obsession gets in the way. The accumulation of money and things becomes their primary goal which they can’t let go of.

For Sure! While it's a good idea to have a decent amount of money for emergencies, etc., any excess....especially for those who have no children to leave it to....are just making their lives halfway miserable. Living in a dilapidated house, and stressing over every little purchase, is a sure sign of having "issues".

I'd bet I'm on ignore to. Way back like about a year ago when Deb was explaining she lived in a wreck of a home then began a series of photos to show just how bad her home was many posters offered reasonable opinions & suggestions.

All were ignored and the pics kept coming of some new disaster in her home.

Maybe it's a cry for pity that is really the basis for the ongoing thread about promising homes to buy that always have some fault that precludes her from actually buying and moving to a place that is not a as she calls it "A Disaster"

Absolutely. It’s definitely a sellers market in rural areas. People in cities are scrambling to get out of cities due to the pandemic

I know you have me on ignore but I DO understand it. No I’m not a professional counsellor, nor am I pretending to be but in my opinion, it has everything to do with a money obsession.

My parents had the same obsession. In the end they had more money than they knew what to do with and a house so full of stuff, it was deemed unsafe to live in. When they started going senile, my father truly believed he could take it with him.

It’s a very sad, self defeating way to live. Unfortunately they didn’t set up a POA who had their best interests so didn’t get the care they needed when they needed it most , and their much worshipped money did NOT serve them well at all.

It was a very difficult thing to witness. They had the money get the best care available to them but that never happened and I’ll leave it at that. I didn’t need a degree to figure out that my parents worshipped money over anything else.

I don't personally know anyone who "worships" money, though many folks probably do.

On the other hand, I know a lot of people who live in dread fear of the scarcity of money, and they spend a lifetime excessively worrying over it, and scrimping and saving.

The best balance - and one that's difficult to strike - is to consider money a tool. Spend a little, save a little, invest a little (including in the upkeep of one's home), give a little away, and enjoy life.

Back