Are You Doing Any Exercise for Fitness?

I have been walking the dogs every day since DH retired. You can read into that what you will. LOL! I've recently started swimming laps twice a week at the city rec center. My daughter wanted to exercise and asked if I would join her, so I did. I've found I really enjoy it. Yesterday I was in a pretty bad mood, and tired, but I joined her at the pool as usual, and my mood really improved. It was due to a combination of a sympathetic ear and the exercise. Now if only I could get DH off his butt...

Same schedule as for the last 2 decades. Floor exercises & daily walks outside 5 days/week. No gym for me. Too many people, too much noise, too many TVs. Love to see the squirrels gathering nuts at this time of the year. Love to see the geese heading south. You don't get that in any gym. You just might catch Corvid-19 from a lot of sweaty people breathing droplets of saliva in an enclosed place. Anyway, I would miss those squirrels & geese. Mother Nature has always refreshed my mind & my soul. Guess I'm still a "country guy" at heart until I die!

I was walking and getting at least 10,000 steps a day, every day for 6 months. Now it is colder in the mornings and really hot in the evenings so I don't walk in the mornings, or in the evenings and my weight shows it. I tend to eat more of the wrong things. So, it is time to get back to at least eating the right things. Walking in Wal Mart and the like gets in more steps but can't do that all the time.

Same schedule as for the last 2 decades. Floor exercises & daily walks outside 5 days/week. No gym for me. Too many people, too much noise, too many TVs. Love to see the squirrels gathering nuts at this time of the year. Love to see the geese heading south. You don't get that in any gym. You just might catch Corvid-19 from a lot of sweaty people breathing droplets of saliva in an enclosed place. Anyway, I would miss those squirrels & geese. Mother Nature has always refreshed my mind & my soul. Guess I'm still a "country guy" at heart until I die!
Love your approach! I used to walk at a park, and watch the geese and ducks. Even started naming them. Can't beat Mother Nature. Especially when a little one and large ducks/geese are in a circle and can't tell who is chasing who!

I have been paying attention to all of you about exercising, but I'm having a problem. I have spinal stenosis which puts me in a wheelchair 2 or 3 days in a row. Every time I exercise my spin swells up, and the next day I can barely turn or move without the pain getting to the point of having to take pain pills. It is 2 or 3 days before I can get out of my wheelchair, and try again. Is there anyway can I exercise without this occurring? I have even tried a swimming pool, but I have the same results. :tapfoot:
Just eating right and not exercising helps out a lot. Take it easy as far as exercising, just eat right. Try that. Your body doesn't like the pain and you don't either, but your body will love you for eating right.

Just eating right and not exercising helps out a lot. Take it easy as far as exercising, just eat right. Try that. Your body doesn't like the pain and you don't either, but your body will love you for eating right.
If your goal is merely to be thin then your approach is fine. If your goal is to be strength and agility then your approach is greatly lacking. The body requires exercise to keep fit. No pain , no gain. It’s not exactly pain though. It’s discomfort in doing something that requires effort.

I work out every night seven days a week, using my home gym, then I hit either the road running or on the bike. I do it late in the night, actually early morning and there is no one out. I was a true gym rat until Covid hit, which closed the gym. While the gym was closed one of the people I knew at the Gym, passed from Covid 19. He had just turned 50. Although the gym has opened, many do not follow the distance protocol, So I do my workouts at home. Normally it just me with Rawhide on youtube.

Sorry for your loss Needshave. What a shame.
I won’t be returning to the gym either. It seems like a sensible choice. People sweat and breathe heavy while working out. It’s not worth the risk.

I've been doing this routine with this nice peppy Dr. Joe. I like it because it doesn't require any walking on my bad leg but still gets my heart pumping.

Best thing about it is it only lasts four minutes.

I have been paying attention to all of you about exercising, but I'm having a problem. I have spinal stenosis which puts me in a wheelchair 2 or 3 days in a row. Every time I exercise my spin swells up, and the next day I can barely turn or move without the pain getting to the point of having to take pain pills. It is 2 or 3 days before I can get out of my wheelchair, and try again. Is there anyway can I exercise without this occurring? I have even tried a swimming pool, but I have the same results. :tapfoot:
Sorry you're going through this! What kind of exercise are you doing? I mostly walk and do chores around the house, and that seems sufficient. I try not to lift heavy weights because this will aggravate my neck.

I get to the gym an average of 5 days a week, on the other days I sometimes workout at home and sometimes walk.

I know I am feeling the better for it. However it can remind me of the knee problems I have...
@Alligatorob , You sound like me...or maybe visa-versa. Actually I'm a bit off my typical regimen, after a recent family tragedy. But I'm trying to get back to normal, yesterday went on a 6+ mile hike with my son. I do have one knee that lets me know when it's had too much fun.

I try to do a little bit of something every day. If I had a dog I'd be walking, altho I do park far away so I have a distance to walk.

I have so many pages of my P.T. exercises at home that I can usually find something to do here and there for 10mins.
Then, I'll do another 10 mins in the kitchen while I'm preparing dinner. Or outside. In the shower.

And, the exercise I get outside planting and watering, squatting.

Back