Are You Doing Any Exercise for Fitness?

I ride a bicycle every chance I get. Our city has installed bicycle paths away from the roads.

I can only do it when the weather allows it. When I can't, I just walk.

Bicycling improves balance. I think that's important.

I'm going to get one of those balance boards. They are inexpensive and you can even make one with a piece of plywood with a dowel attached underneath.

We have a laundry room in our apartment. That's where everyone dumps their exercise machines.

I do the following exercise to strengthen my core and minimise pain from lumbar stenosis:
lie on back knees bent
take some long breaths
inhale exhale
contract abdominals
contract lower back muscles and glutes
contract sphincter muscle
contract all three and hold
try to hold all three whilsy breathing

Does pulling the handle on my recliner count as a rep? ........ ;)

I like the guy that said ... he does one sit-up every day. Half when he wakes up in the morning, and the other half when he lays down at night........LOL!

Just curious .... You do a bench press routine? 6 times p/month ? And you do a D/L routine three times in that same period ?

What is your routine ? sets/reps/weight ?

You'll regret asking this because I have a severe case of OCD when it comes to my weight workouts. I have spreadsheets on my computer going back to March of 2006 where I have recorded every set and every rep, at every weight for every workout I have done. Except that I had a recent computer crash and I had not backed my stuff up since last December. So now I have a 7 month gap in that record. I am probably going to have to go into therapy to deal with this. I need to check with my insurance to see if that will be covered.

My workout days follow the traditional MWF pattern. And I alternate between Bench Press and Dead lift. And I skip every other Dead lift day. For example this week it's Bench Press on Monday, Dead lift on Wednesday, and Bench Press again on Friday. Next week I will skip Monday, Do Bench Press on Wednesday, and Dead lift on Friday. The following week it will be Bench Press on Monday, skip Wednesday, and Bench Press on Friday. And the week after that it's Dead lift on Monday, Bench Press on Wednesday and skip Friday. And that's one four week cycle.

As for sets, reps and weights that varies. But basically I stick with low reps for a lot of sets and keep the weight where I can do all the reps comfortably. No forced reps for me. I have no spotter, and my moto with regard to weight lifting is “don’t get hurt”. When I lifted back in High School I could recover from a pull or a strain in a few days. But after taking a 40 year layoff I found that when I went back to it in my old age it can take weeks. Or even months to recover. Something I learned the hard way. .

Today, Monday was a Bench Press day. And I got a wild hair up my ass to do something a little different. So I carried my high sets, low reps protocol to an extreme and did 16 singles for my workout sets.

My bench press workout this morning was as follows.

4 warm up sets

8 reps with 40 KG (88 lbs.)
6 reps with 50 KG (110 lbs.)
4 reps with 60 KG (132 lbs.)
2 reps with 70 KG (154 lbs.)

16 work sets

1 rep with 80 KG (176 lbs) repeated for a total of 16 sets.

So 20 sets total, all done at 3 minute intervals (again my OCD at work)

Took me an hour from start to finish.

This coming Wednesday will be a Dead lift day.

My plan is to do the same workout as I did last Dead Lifts day which was Monday July 15th.

I don’t like Dead Lifts. They are hard and it’s easier to injure yourself doing them. Plus they take longer to recover from. So I don’t work them as much or as often as the Bench Press.

8 reps with 60 KG (132lbs.)
6 reps with 70 KG (154lbs.)
4 reps with 80 KG (176 lbs)
2 reps with 90 KG (198lbs.)
1 rep with 100 KG (220 lbs)
3 reps with 80 KG (176 lbs.) for 5 sets.

10 sets total.

Ol' buddy...you, sir...are amazing

I'm a couple years younger, and now starting a workout regimen
I just have some dumbbells at present, 20lb, 40lb
I have just been doing curls and flies with these
But will grab a used bench and some free weights

Since moving to town, I can feel the degeneration
This ain't gonna happen

You may be recvg a PM from me from time to time (if you don't mind), as it seems (over the years) that you've a proven program.

Keep on keepin' on

You'll regret asking this because I have a severe case of OCD when it comes to my weight workouts. I have spreadsheets on my computer going back to March of 2006 where I have recorded every set and every rep, at every weight for every workout I have done. Except that I had a recent computer crash and I had not backed my stuff up since last December. So now I have a 7 month gap in that record. I am probably going to have to go into therapy to deal with this. I need to check with my insurance to see if that will be covered.

My workout days follow the traditional MWF pattern. And I alternate between Bench Press and Dead lift. And I skip every other Dead lift day. For example this week it's Bench Press on Monday, Dead lift on Wednesday, and Bench Press again on Friday. Next week I will skip Monday, Do Bench Press on Wednesday, and Dead lift on Friday. The following week it will be Bench Press on Monday, skip Wednesday, and Bench Press on Friday. And the week after that it's Dead lift on Monday, Bench Press on Wednesday and skip Friday. And that's one four week cycle.

As for sets, reps and weights that varies. But basically I stick with low reps for a lot of sets and keep the weight where I can do all the reps comfortably. No forced reps for me. I have no spotter, and my moto with regard to weight lifting is “don’t get hurt”. When I lifted back in High School I could recover from a pull or a strain in a few days. But after taking a 40 year layoff I found that when I went back to it in my old age it can take weeks. Or even months to recover. Something I learned the hard way. .

Today, Monday was a Bench Press day. And I got a wild hair up my ass to do something a little different. So I carried my high sets, low reps protocol to an extreme and did 16 singles for my workout sets.

My bench press workout this morning was as follows.

4 warm up sets

8 reps with 40 KG (88 lbs.)
6 reps with 50 KG (110 lbs.)
4 reps with 60 KG (132 lbs.)
2 reps with 70 KG (154 lbs.)

16 work sets

1 rep with 80 KG (176 lbs) repeated for a total of 16 sets.

So 20 sets total, all done at 3 minute intervals (again my OCD at work)

Took me an hour from start to finish.

This coming Wednesday will be a Dead lift day.

My plan is to do the same workout as I did last Dead Lifts day which was Monday July 15th.

I don’t like Dead Lifts. They are hard and it’s easier to injure yourself doing them. Plus they take longer to recover from. So I don’t work them as much or as often as the Bench Press.

8 reps with 60 KG (132lbs.)
6 reps with 70 KG (154lbs.)
4 reps with 80 KG (176 lbs)
2 reps with 90 KG (198lbs.)
1 rep with 100 KG (220 lbs)
3 reps with 80 KG (176 lbs.) for 5 sets.

10 sets total.

Looks good ....lower body/legs ? ..... or do you depend on dead's to be all you need there?

I run my mouth and jump to conclusions almost every day.
65240585_2567032513307266_3765136750226178048_n.jpg

Dammit RPG!

Now you've got me thinking I should go back to doing squats!

That's going to be a real PITA too!

Scheduling won't be a problem. I'll just do them on the days I skip Dead lifts like I used to. But where? My utility room is too small. And I don't have an enclosed garage anymore like I did in Florida. And I don't want to put my weight bench, which I can adjust for squats, out in the open carport where it can get stolen. I suppose I could move the weight bench out to the back patio. It's not enclosed, but it's covered. And the back yard is fenced so it would be safe. But I have the canoe there. I'd have to go back to leaning it up against the house. And it gets dirty there. You've really caused me a lot of problems Dude.

i can do about 10 squats a day. no weights though. my body is heavy enough. 105kg.

I got up to 230 lbs a few years back. That's about 105kg. I feel a lot better now at 205. That's about 93kg. I really like the metric system. My weights are metric. I wish the US would go to that like 99% of the rest of the world. Instead we're stuck with this archaic English sysytem. And even England's gone metric.

I got up to 230 lbs a few years back. That's about 105kg. I feel a lot better now at 205. That's about 93kg. I really like the metric system. My weights are metric. I wish the US would go to that like 99% of the rest of the world. Instead we're stuck with this archaic English sysytem. And even England's gone metric.
i still struggle to translate pounds. 😂

93 kg would be a realistic goal for me. just too fond of food. too many carbs. love pasta and potatoes.

Dammit RPG!

Now you've got me thinking I should go back to doing squats!

That's going to be a real PITA too!

Scheduling won't be a problem. I'll just do them on the days I skip Dead lifts like I used to. But where? My utility room is too small. And I don't have an enclosed garage anymore like I did in Florida. And I don't want to put my weight bench, which I can adjust for squats, out in the open carport where it can get stolen. I suppose I could move the weight bench out to the back patio. It's not enclosed, but it's covered. And the back yard is fenced so it would be safe. But I have the canoe there. I'd have to go back to leaning it up against the house. And it gets dirty there. You've really caused me a lot of problems Dude.

I can do squats [just about pain free] with resistance bands , nothing crazy jut now roughly 70 lbs resistance, band looped around my neck, feet through stirrup straps . IMO the pain of 'free-weight' comes from the bar sitting on my shoulders, and the 'herky-jerky' movement down through my hips, knees, etc. The bands make for a perfectly smooth movement.

Much more when I was younger, but, ...... maybe that is what lead to some [of] my problems today? Who knows.

I can do squats [just about pain free] with resistance bands , nothing crazy jut now roughly 70 lbs resistance, band looped around my neck, feet through stirrup straps . IMO the pain of 'free-weight' comes from the bar sitting on my shoulders, and the 'herky-jerky' movement down through my hips, knees, etc. The bands make for a perfectly smooth movement.

Much more when I was younger, but, ...... maybe that is what lead to some [of] my problems today? Who knows.

As we get older we just have to make adjustments and do what we can. When I lifted in High School I did about a dozen different exercises. Now I'm down to just two. And by the way, now that I've slept on it, I find that my inclination to go back to doing squats is gone. :)

I ride a bicycle every chance I get. Our city has installed bicycle paths away from the roads.

I can only do it when the weather allows it. When I can't, I just walk.

Bicycling improves balance. I think that's important.

I'm going to get one of those balance boards. They are inexpensive and you can even make one with a piece of plywood with a dowel attached underneath.

We have a laundry room in our apartment. That's where everyone dumps their exercise machines.

Biking is great. I used to do a lot of it myself. My wife and I used to bike together a lot. But she has epilepsy and one day she had a seizure while riding, crashed the bike and would up with a broken hip. That put a stop to that. While we were still in Florida I still rode some by myself on the rails to trails. But there is nothing like that near me here. And I have lost my nerve riding on the roads. After many years of doing that and a number of close calls with motorists that were just plain assholes I felt like I had used up eight and a half of my nine lives.

As we get older we just have to make adjustments and do what we can. When I lifted in High School I did about a dozen different exercises. Now I'm down to just two. And by the way, now that I've slept on it, I find that my inclination to go back to doing squats is gone. :)

I do them primarily because I can't walk any distance. I also do a more therapeutic exercise , quad extensions. Those help keep my knees more flexible. Not by a great deal, but they feel worse when i do not do them. And again, nothing crazy, just 25 lbs on the attachment.

I use an elliptical 3-4 times/week. I do a 30-minute walk around a lake nearby. I do all the house cleaning & brush trimming in my place. (That's the most strenuous part - 6,100 sq. ft.)

Walked 2 miles with a 25 lbs weight vest this morning. Then I mowed the front lawn which took one hour and five minutes plus another 15 minutes with the edger. That's enough exercise for today for this old home boy. The rest of the day I will be a practicing couch potato.

Back