Assisted dying

In the end stages of Parkinson's disease in a nursing home as his cognition flickered in and out, my father in a lucid phase begged my sister to bring him poison. She could not, of course, but death finally came as he wanted it to while we faced the agonizing decision of whether to install a feeding tube, which would have been against his wishes. When the quality of life is nill and there is no hope of recovery or improvement, assisted dying I believe should be an option, one which I'd choose for myself...

I have a question. Are/were your parents loving and compassionate? Did they judge you when you didn't obey rules or misbehaved? Christians, many, are taught that God is our father. He does love us, is longsuffering, but yes He judges us when we get out of line. He wants to correct us and have us correct our behavior..... as any good parent would. :)
Of course parents judge our behavior, but they also take context into consideration and DEFINITELY don't hold mistakes against us for all of eternity, which would qualify as child abuse.

That's why kids get time-outs, groundings, and restricted privileges for relatively short periods of time. Even kids who bite, kick, lie, etc., get a clean slate after a relatively short time. And that happens without the intervention of a divine whipping boy assuaging a parent thirsty for vengeance.

Of course parents judge our behavior, but they also take context into consideration and DEFINITELY don't hold mistakes against us for all of eternity, which would qualify as child abuse.

That's why kids get time-outs, groundings, and restricted privileges for relatively short periods of time. Even kids who bite, kick, lie, etc., get a clean slate after a relatively short time. And that happens without the intervention of a divine whipping boy assuaging a parent thirsty for vengeance.
God is willing to forgive those who ask and repent. The only way a person suffers for all eternity is when they deny Him.

God is willing to forgive those who ask and repent. The only way a person suffers for all eternity is when they deny Him.
How do you know that, did you manage to have a conversation with god? If I murder someone in cold blood and ask and repent, will I be forgiven? Will all the repenting murderers on death row be forgiven and taken to heaven along people who were good humans all their lives?

How do you know that, did you manage to have a conversation with god? If I murder someone in cold blood and ask and repent, will I be forgiven? Will all the repenting murderers on death row be forgiven and taken to heaven along people who were good humans all their lives?
I read His Word. Yes, murderers can be forgiven if they ask Jesus into their heart. As for "all the good humans", good does not get them to Heaven. Belief in Christ is the only way there.

You know.... I had thought this might be a decent forum..... without Christianity haters. Seems I was wrong. At every turn, someone comments rudely. "Oh well, it was worth a try. Enjoy your place. :)

I read His Word. Yes, murderers can be forgiven if they ask Jesus into their heart. As for "all the good humans", good does not get them to Heaven. Belief in Christ is the only way there.

Again, control freak.

One can be the finest person on the planet........but disbelieve ! And your out of the club, can't get in the clubhouse.......

You know.... I had thought this might be a decent forum..... without Christianity haters. Seems I was wrong. At every turn, someone comments rudely. "Oh well, it was worth a try. Enjoy your place. :)

No one said that they hate, as I read it. They just don't believe.

"might be a decent forum.."

So it's only a decent forum if.......the participants believe & agree with you?

Geez, I'm going to go out and murder someone and then believe in Christ. What's the sense in being a good person. Let the good times roll!

One of the sickest beliefs is that a person who has been wicked in this life, could make a deathbed conversion and go to heaven, yet an atheist who has been a good, decent person would go to hell. :mad:

One of the sickest beliefs is that a person who has been wicked in this life, could make a deathbed conversion and go to heaven, yet an atheist who has been a good, decent person would go to hell. :mad:
ALL religions believe THEIR members will go to heaven and everyone else will go to hell. Since I believe in a creator (Deist) but not any messiah I guess I will go to hell, too.

Well, maybe they don't like someone turning posts into religious sermons?

I'm just appalled at the fact that people just don't have the right in this country and many others to dispose of their own body that's causing nothing but agony and will never be of use to anyone... and be permitted to allow a spouse or family member to assist them if they cannot physically carry out the suicide themselves.

I would want authorities to have a bit of control over who makes the decision -- I'm not a fan of just allowing anyone, "loved one" or not, to assist a suicide without some sort of formal documentation by medical people that the dying person made the request personally and without coercion.

To do otherwise could lead to a lot of folks just deciding that granny had lived long enough and taking the matter into their own hands either for insurance money or just to get rid of the trouble of taking care of granny.

I have a question. Are/were your parents loving and compassionate? Did they judge you when you didn't obey rules or misbehaved? Christians, many, are taught that God is our father. He does love us, is longsuffering, but yes He judges us when we get out of line. He wants to correct us and have us correct our behavior..... as any good parent would. :)
No, actually my parents were anything but loving & compassionate. They were sadistically abusive and I never really knew what the rules were since they always changed so it didn’t matter whether I was obedient or not. The end result was the same.

Possibly due to my abuse, I learned to seek inwards where I discovered my ‘own’ meaning of God. An intelligent, loving, timeless energy that flows through us and connects us to a magic beyond belief. A place where miracles do happen.

This God doesn’t judge us. This God supports every decision we make since this power gave us consciousness and free will to make our own choices. This God gently nudges is when we go off course by tapping into our intuition. This God doesn’t use the concept of correct or incorrect behaviour since that’s a human character we added to an all loving energy.

My God doesn’t have human qualities. Religion is what humans did to try and understand something that is way beyond our understanding but that’s my own personal belief about God. God is beyond our understanding.

Note: My post is not meant to criticize religion in the least. It’s just not for me.

Back