Assisted dying

When a friend of mine was diagnosed with leukemia, she told me how happy she was to live in a state (Washington) which had a Death With Dignity law. She found it very comforting to know that if she wanted, she would be spared interminable suffering at the end of her life. Fortunately, she never needed to use it, and passed away naturally, but I always think of her when this subject comes up. I would like to have the same reassurance; so far, my state does not have this law in place, though it did come up in the last election and was very narrowly defeated. Eventually, it will pass, as it does in any other civilized place.

Like with abortion or birth control, those who believe it is wrong do not have to use this option. But it absolutely should be there for the rest of us.

Charry, I don't think this forum offers any way to delete a note once it has been posted. The person's name, and the fact that they sent a note, will always remain up there. The only way to "delete" a note, once you decide to remove it, is to change it. Sothe text of pleinmont's note got changed to "Deleted." Awkward, but it works.

Or am I wrong about that? Maybe there is a way to completely delete a note, name and all?

I don't have a problem with the opposing point of view.

The right to die and assisted suicide should be an informed choice/option for those that believe in it.

It should really not be a concern or threat to those that do not believe in it.

Strongly agree. While we all have the right to hold whatever religious beliefs we wish, I do not believe we have the right to force those beliefs on others.

When a friend of mine was diagnosed with leukemia, she told me how happy she was to live in a state (Washington) which had a Death With Dignity law. She found it very comforting to know that if she wanted, she would be spared interminable suffering at the end of her life. Fortunately, she never needed to use it, and passed away naturally, but I always think of her when this subject comes up. I would like to have the same reassurance; so far, my state does not have this law in place, though it did come up in the last election and was very narrowly defeated. Eventually, it will pass, as it does in any other civilized place.

Like with abortion or birth control, those who believe it is wrong do not have to use this option. But it absolutely should be there for the rest of us.

"Like with abortion or birth control, those who believe it is wrong do not have to use this option. But it absolutely should be there for the rest of us."

I agree completely.........But then there's the control freaks.

We are mortal. That's not some theory-it's a fact. When it comes to the point when someone is no longer viable, and in pain; I see no reason to prolong life. The problem is determining the point when it's hopeless. There are a lot of interpretations about that. I do think "assisted dying" is diferrent from suicide. But it is a fine distinction, again, what is hopeless. and what is suicide? That's a hard call to make. Only the person, who is about to lose his life, can make. Yet, I think you need an impartial third person to also agree.

There are two reasons why assisted suicide is not wanted. The religion one where the god that sends you illness and pain wants total control, and the other reason is fear of being sued for helping someone commit suicide.

This is what CANADA has installed as of 2015
Please not the distinction here, assisted dying , not suicide. There is a difference.

Learn more about Canada's assisted dying law and what it means for your right to a peaceful death.
On Feb. 6, 2015, the Supreme Court of Canada sent a powerful message heard around the world. In a unanimous decision, the justices of the high court struck down the federal prohibition on physician-assisted dying, arguing that the old law violated the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Fourteen months later, MPs in Parliament passed an assisted dying law in response to the Supreme Court’s decision. Bill C-14 formally legalized assisted dying and laid out new rules for how it could be accessed. The government called its legislation “a responsible first step” and says that Bill C-14 complies with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Critics of the law, including a number of legal scholars, argued that some of the restrictions in Bill C-14 may be unconstitutional and would inevitably be challenged in court. They were right. Nearly two weeks after the law received royal assent, Julia Lamb, a 25-year-old B.C. woman, along with the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association, launched a Charter challenge against aspects of the federal assisted dying law. One year later, two Montrealers suffering from debilitating chronic illnesses launched a similar challenge in the province of Quebec.
As the leading organization defending Canadians’ end-of-life rights, we at Dying With Dignity Canada have been closely examining the rules in Bill C-14 and their impacts on people across the country. To help you navigate what this law means for your right to die with medical assistance, we’ve assembled a list of Frequently Asked Questions about Canada’s law on medical assistance in dying (MAID).

California has a "death with dignity" statute. You have to be terminally ill and medically determined to be within 6 months of dying. Understandable from the state's perspective, which obviously has to protect people from hustling Granny's exit, but hellaciously long for someone bedridden from a stroke or other condition that robs them of any quality of life.

@Pepper, I don't think God's feelings would be hurt if we opted out of suffering, but that's just me.
It’s the same here in Canada. We do have assisted suicide or euthanasia. If it’s good enough for our pets, it should be good enough for us too.

My God is a loving compassionate one who doesn’t judge us. We as humans added a human character that doesn’t belong ,..... in my opinion.

The death penalty is wrong, imo, but that is another topic. This thread is about people who wish to die due to their medical condition.

In another thread I agreed with you that a vicious animal should be put down. Yet, here you say that the death penalty for humans is wrong. Two sets of rules, depending on the species? Should not humans, with their awareness of right and wrong, be held to a higher standard than animals, who know nothing about right and wrong? I feel that humans who kill and have no chance of being re-introduced into the population, should be put down (multiple and serial killers, psychopaths etc). Not arguing here, just pointing out that you judge capital punishment only according to speciecism.

You make a good point, @win231. When laws don't permit assisted suicide determined people find a way to accomplish it, often leaving a traumatizing scene for survivors and emergency personnel to cope with.
Yes, such laws don't leave people any choice. If possible, I'd go somewhere where only police & trained personnel (who I'd contact beforehand) would cope with a traumatizing scene. But, I realize that, in some cases, that may not be possible.

I'm just appalled at the fact that people just don't have the right in this country and many others to dispose of their own body that's causing nothing but agony and will never be of use to anyone... and be permitted to allow a spouse or family member to assist them if they cannot physically carry out the suicide themselves.

I'm just appalled at the fact that people just don't have the right in this country and many others to dispose of their own body that's causing nothing but agony and will never be of use to anyone... and be permitted to allow a spouse or family member to assist them if they cannot physically carry out the suicide themselves.
Maybe they're concerned about people abusing that right - like Mr. Kevorkian did.

I told my hubby I do not want to live on a machine. I am one that enjoy life and when I am lying in a bed near death, I do not want to be kept alive on a machine..WHY??? I remember when my mom was dying..I ask the nurse why are people kept alive on machines, she said its for the family. I also don't want to be kept alive on different meds either..especially if they are not improving my health. Geez.. I miss my mom. She was 86 when she passed away but she gave up on life when she was late 60. She did not do too much of anything but lay in the bed. However, as I have reached 60, I understand she had a lot of pain and unresolved issues. God Bless her. As long as I have breath and able to move, I will DANCE and enjoy life.

I'm in favor of having the right to end a hopeless, terminal and painful illness. I certainly considered it during the last, awful three years of my mother's life. She however, rejected the idea. So nature took its course.
For my part I plan to live a meaningful life and die a glad death curious about what comes next. If I must, I can end things quickly and I'm afraid messily. If circumstances allow I'll call emergency services beforehand to give the first responders a warning to be ready for a distasteful scenario.
The burial and headstone are already paid for.....with a bit of luck they won't be needed for another 25 years or so.

SPEAK ON IT Keesha!!!!!!!!!!
There’s a lot of money to be made from aging seniors. The pressure to put aging seniors in nursing homes is staggeringly scary. Sure it might be for their own safety but there’s an entire lucrative business in caring for sick aging seniors especially ones with dementia who can no longer speak for themselves.

Money always talks and wins over moral obligation every time and is somehow justified as doing the ‘right’ thing regardless of what the senior truly wants. It’s not really something I want to go on about as it’s depressing stuff. Everyone should have the option of assisted suicide when their life becomes too painful for them to handle. It’s not just hard on the deteriorating patients but is difficult for the family members who have to witness it.

I know without a doubt that my mom never wanted to live where strangers had to change her diapers. She tried to tell me in so many ways but unfortunately I had no power to help and it haunts me to this day.

I’m getting documents drawn up to state my exact wishes if this ever happens to me. I’m all for being humanely put down and the money that’s saved keeping me alive , I’ll donate to the humane society or some other charity and I’m ok with people not liking it.

Last edited:
My God is a loving compassionate one who doesn’t judge us. We as humans added a human character that doesn’t belong ,..... in my opinion.

I have a question. Are/were your parents loving and compassionate? Did they judge you when you didn't obey rules or misbehaved? Christians, many, are taught that God is our father. He does love us, is longsuffering, but yes He judges us when we get out of line. He wants to correct us and have us correct our behavior..... as any good parent would. :)

Well said Keesha. Years ago I had it put on file for no resuscitation. No living on machines etc.
I was surprised to find out how many people really disagreed with this.
I don't know about everyone else, but I did not disagree with this. There is a difference in "assisting dying" and "prolonging life".

I have a question. Are/were your parents loving and compassionate? Did they judge you when you didn't obey rules or misbehaved? Christians, many, are taught that God is our father. He does love us, is longsuffering, but yes He judges us when we get out of line. He wants to correct us and have us correct our behavior..... as any good parent would. :)

The god of the Bible is an evil character if what is attributed to it has an credibility.

Back